Another comment on MB Vs other marques..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kensalriser

Through a number of weeks looking at W202s I called several dealers and Milton Keynes a few times with various questions about specific cars and their histories. While every call was dealt with relatively courteously, I alwasy got the feeling that they weren't giving up information easily. The MK staff each contradicted the last one I spoke to regarding perforation warranties and the dealers wouldn't give up anything except date and mileage of services - one time I was told they had no other details over two years old, another time I was told that he shouldn't even be giving me the info he was.

Today I called an Audi dealer. Not only were they happy to go through the car's entire history, they gave me details of some work for which the book hadn't been stamped and offered to print out copies of all the invoices and send them to me. I was also advised that if I did buy the car I should take it into a dealer to have the tailgate handle replaced (the alloy is corroding) as it would probably be done under warranty...and no, the service history will have no bearing on that, sir. And it wasn't even the same dealer but the new franchisee for the area which has taken over relatively recently.

What a contrast.

I often wonder if we are here to knock Mercedes or share our passion with them. How many times do you read, "I have had enough of Mercedes etc" If you are not happy with Mercedes then join another forum. For me (I can only speak for myself) I find it very depressing reading, especially when I have such good relations with the two dealers within 8 miles of my house. I cant afford a new car, but am delighted with the two I have, warts and all. Sorry, rant over. No offence intended.

Ian B Walker said:
I often wonder if we are here to knock Mercedes or share our passion with them. How many times do you read, "I have had enough of Mercedes etc" If you are not happy with Mercedes then join another forum. For me (I can only speak for myself) I find it very depressing reading, especially when I have such good relations with the two dealers within 8 miles of my house. I cant afford a new car, but am delighted with the two I have, warts and all. Sorry, rant over. No offence intended.

I agree with you fully. It must be a shame we can't all find a good dealer

:) :) :)

There are so many dealers that its always worth trying a new one if yours is not a good one.

Example for me re the W124 Coupe...

Stratford Merc - list price for all parts, list price for service, obstructive over showing me the previous service history (all done at their site but mostly when they used to be Speeds).

Kings Norton Merc - 5-10% off service parts, quietly told me about KMS for OEM at 60% off, printed out service history and helped put names to some of the parts that had been replaced.

They are "windows" into Merc and as with all businesses they tend to take on the persona of the man (or woman) in charge - fish rot from the head!!

I know where you're coming from Ian and couldn't agree more. Between us all, we can quote good and bad experiences of dealers from all marques. The originator of this thread suggesting how wonderful Audi are. That was not my experience which is why I didn't buy Audi. If you remember when I bought Edna I was looking for a new TT. The Audi garage could barely spare the tiem of day hence I walked away.

My MB dealer however was a different story. Yes they were after my money and we have had good and bad times since then - but generally my experience is positive.

If you don't like something - as has been pointed out on other threads - walk away.

I agree with you to an extent Ian and Pammy, but as Mercedes Benz enthusiasts that doesn't mean we have to be blindly enthusiastic about everything associated with Mercedes Benz.

Maybe Kensalriser could tell us the dealers he tried to contact who were less than entirely helpful, so other forum members can bear this information in mind when choosing the services of a dealership.

I hope I'm not coming across as rude here, but I think its important that all aspects of the Mercedes ownership experience get discussed, positive and negative. :)

I agree - RC - but it just seems that all we hear is MB Dealer bashing and that all others are perfect - which they aint;) and it's about ensuring that balance is maintained ;)

If I get bored this weekend I might merge all the unenthusiastic threads into one...

Rose Chap said:
I agree with you to an extent Ian and Pammy, but as Mercedes Benz enthusiasts that doesn't mean we have to be blindly enthusiastic about everything associated with Mercedes Benz.
No it doesnt I agree. Not blindly enthusiastic, just mildly enthusiastic would do.:D

I think it advantageous to document individual experiences, good or bad. When you read the adverse comments you generally...( Note I said generally and not ALL) :D find that those that have had a bad experience will instantly blame ALL dealerships.

If anyone dares to politely suggest all dealers are neither good, nor are they all bad, then they get a hard time. I have continually said the same thing as being said on this thread, if you don't like a product, then move on. It must surely speak volumes about any individual that simply moans, moans, moans about a product, yet still owns or buys a similar one???

I have mentioned how some folks come onto a forum just to give vent to what they feel is a justifiable grievance, that is fine and I have no problem with that, but lets please accept that there are thousands of very happy Mercedes drivers out there, that have never heard of this excellent forum, plus of course there just MIGHT, be the very odd person that might a a complaint:eek: ;) or three.

Brief example.

Last summer one of our local dealership courtesy drivers dropped off our car after it was serviced, I invited him in for a cop of tea and we had a very interesting discussion.

The previous day he had to deliver a very nice E-class to Manchester, the owner of which had been involved in an accident here in Torquay and badly damaged her car. The accident was her fault, the vehicle was recovered to the Mercedes Main Dealer, they gave her an E-class courtesy car and she went merrily on her way to finish her holiday. When her own vehicle was repaired the courtesy driver took it to her home address in Manchester and simply swapped it for the hire vehicle. all she had to do was check, and sign for her car. Everything was done through her insurance and most of this was done at the dealership.

This lady owner is perhaps not a member of this forum, so cannot\might not be in a position to fly the flag, but would an Audi, or BMW dealership do this???? I certainly have no idea, but I know my Mercedes-Benz dealership did.

Now I suppose the gloom and doom merchants will do their usual thing but that is their choice, the sun is shining, the birds are singing and I like our car :p :)

Have a nice day and remember...
Not everyone is good, nor are they all a bunch of to$$ers :eek: Treat folks how you would like to be treated.

John the useless grouch

Shude said:
If I get bored this weekend I might merge all the unenthusiastic threads into one...

How about a sub-forum for (brief) posts praising or complaining - no hyperbole just basic facts.

i.e. Car serviced, dealer ourteous, car cleaned and nice cup of coffee.
or
Service late, more expensive than quoted.

As I said just the brief facts - and someplace where people can post praise, it is always easier to post a whinging post.

Over time we should get a decent overall picture.

Mike

MikeL said:
How about a sub-forum for (brief) posts praising or complaining - no hyperbole just basic facts.

i.e. Car serviced, dealer ourteous, car cleaned and nice cup of coffee.
or
Service late, more expensive than quoted.

As I said just the brief facts - and someplace where people can post praise, it is always easier to post a whinging post.

Over time we should get a decent overall picture.
We need a good/bad/ugly section :)

I think we can all come up with a few for the ugly section... ;)

I agree with most of what has been said above regarding balance, but I must say, and I've said it before, customer service standards do seem to have slipped since "the great reorganisation". That said it does seem to have slipped more in some places than others!

I think its a little counter productive to say that nobody should slate what is poor service and keep their moth shut and move on.

That equates to those that are calling for it to be basically walking along with blinkers on reciting to themselves "MB / DC can do no wrong" over and over again.

Come on, this may be a forum for enthusiasts, but that does not mean that it has to be a forum for brainwashed people does it? We are all (or most of us) grown up and mature enough to accept that all marques have their bad sides and poor dealers / reliability issues, to suggest that someone should keep their mouth shut unless they are singing praise is such a childish attitude to have.
"If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything" sort of thing.

Well my reply to that is if you can't handle reality go running back to mammy and stick you head in the sand.

GSBellew said:
I think its a little counter productive to say that nobody should slate what is poor service and keep their moth shut and move on..

:D :D :D :D I DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!! How long did that take?

I have been on this forum for quite a time, but I don't think I can EVER recall ANYONE saying we should not slate poor service. Gloom, gloom, doom, doom, it's sunny outside, the grass will die, I will get sun burnt, there will be a hose pipe ban, the birds are making a horrible noise, I bet I don't win the national lottery, and the 'moth' :D will not move on.

Keep moaning about bad service, keep moaning about unreliability, but please be fair and accept that there are always two sides to a coin. Yes good and bad.

I bet I get accused of only seeing one side though :D

John the old grump

I'm sure at the same time that Kensalriser was posting his experience, someone else, somewhere (in a galaxy far away...) was bemoaning the fact that he'd spend all week trooping round Audi dealers getting more and more peeved with their attitude, when at last he stumbled on an MB forecourt and was amazed at how well they treated him compared with the Audi people.

We are a collection of different individuals, with different requirements, dealing with different dealers, so it's only natural that we all have different outcomes with which we are variously satisfied, or 'otherwise'.

When the outcome is 'otherwise', it may be challenging to post a balanced view, but it sure makes better reading that "MB is rubbish, I'm off". The only logical response to that is "Bye then".

nickmann said:
I'm sure at the same time that Kensalriser was posting his experience, someone else, somewhere (in a galaxy far away...) was bemoaning the fact that he'd spend all week trooping round Audi dealers .

Is it nictry, that has a very nice but sick Jaguar? We are indeed all individuals with differing tastes. I have 100% respect for nictry, he has had a bad experience and has now moved on to pastures that may, or may not be greener? :) I am certainly not trying to score a point over his recent experience, all cars have problems, his are being dealt with and hopefully the car will soon be back on the road.

John the optimist

Describing poor service, yes it should be posted here, why not.
Now to dig up mother and nip down to the beach to bury my head.

nickmann said:
but it sure makes better reading that "MB is rubbish, I'm off". The only logical response to that is "Bye then".
exactly

Not to sound negative here.... but i always used to believe that an

"an MB is for life, not for three years"

If I was in a position of affording a new MB, there is no way i would keep it longer than the duration of the warranty.

Flipside, I know a family who spent well in excess of £200k on audis in the last 5 years and have had nothing but problems so its not just an MB thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom