Another "Copper" story.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercboiuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
1995 E320 Coupe
I didn't have the pleasure of chatting with my local constabulary, though (as in the other thread) - more see what their driving was like :rolleyes:

Last night, I was coming home about half 11. Driving in a 30 limit at about 32. I see a pair of headlights coming up rather quickly behind me. I'd estimate at around 40. I lift off the accelerator to slow to dead on 30.
When the car gets right up behind me, I noticed "POLICE" lettering on the bonnet.

I think he wants to pull me over, but he doesn't. He continues right up my back side for a further mile of the 30 limit, and then the road goes to a 60. Right on the 30/60 limit boarder, I accelerate quickly to dead on 60mph. He catches me up and, again, sit right on back side, but this time at higher speeds and in slightly damp conditions. There is no way he is leaving a 2 second gap!
I get into my village 3 miles later, where there is another 30 limit. He stays right on my bum again for the 2 miles I drive through my village. I turn off down a side road to my house, where he continues on the main road, out of the village.
Whether he was trying to encourage me to speed, I have no idea! But what a tool! :rolleyes:

Darren

Last edited:
I would have brake tested him..

I would have brake tested him..

me too, I thought I saw an animal about to run out in the road, whats your name and rank as you have just caved the rear of my car in, where did you learn to drive, did you get your license in a christmas cracker?

Yesterday was the last day of the month. He was testing you to get in their quota. :D

My friend has this driving back at night along a dual carriageway, as she is not the most confident of drivers it unnerved her to say the least, I can only think or assume they were checking out her details or just trying to see if she would do anything out of the ordinary or necessary to require a stop?! I have no idea? But it's damn rude!

I got my only speeding points to date in what sounds like a similar 'sting'.

Driving up the M42, in the left hand lane, as I was about to leave the motorway. Car in front slows down to 40mph, so I pulled out to go past him (still more than half a mile to the exit), and he accelerated so I couldn't get back in again. He then pulled in front of me in the middle lane, and slowed down again to 40-odd. So I dropped back into the left lane, and he stayed where he was.

After the "/" sign, at the beginning of the slip road, he cut me up and left the motorway, which is where I was going anyway.

After the roundabout at the top, there's a short (200m) dual carriageway section, and as we were both going the same way, I decided to overtake him there, so I didn't have to follow this ar$e into Birmingham.

As I went past him, at 45 or so, he nicked me for speeding.

:mad:

I decided to overtake him there, so I didn't have to follow this ar$e into Birmingham.

As the IAM says - drive safely and within the law, despite the incorrect actions of others......

However, it is appalling that certain officers drive deliberately badly in order to provoke you into breaking the law. A friend (and retired traffic officer) recommends making a personal visit in order to make a complaint to the Traffic Sergeant and says that this can have results, especially if you stay calm and bring a solicitor.

I was followed for quite some time a few years ago, so I headed out of town to a derestricted (and very narrow) country road where a steady 60 made following me a little more challenging for the muppet.

Eventually returning to town, and continuing along the same roads I had previously driven along, he stopped me. Boy- was he looking for trouble. Aggressive, provoking attitude, the whole lot. I stayed calm and polite. He got nowhere. A word in a friend's ear a few days later led to the officer getting "appropriate advice" from his senior officer and the information that they get more complaints about this one copper than all the rest put together.

So go ahead - complain. It's your right to do so.

It's still a free country (despite the best efforts of Blair & Brown)

Anyone who thinks it's a good idea to brake test someone, that's utterly moronic. You are making a dodgy situation even more dangerous, well done, have a medal.

I'd just slow down and stop somewhere convenient or turn off as soon as possible, not attempt to have them ram me in the back.

Dave!

........ A friend (and retired traffic officer) recommends making a personal visit in order to make a complaint to the Traffic Sergeant and says that this can have results, especially if you stay calm and bring a solicitor.

If you (OP) feel strongly enough about what happened (perhaps getting it off your chest on this forum has satisfied your frustration) then do make a written complaint to either the local station or Force HQ for the area concerned stating time, date and exact location - the chances are the vehicle involved should be traced. I wouldn't send it to the Traffic Sgt as there's no mention of it being a traffic car and it could easily be a beat unit/dog vehicle/ARV etc .

My friend has this driving back at night along a dual carriageway, as she is not the most confident of drivers it unnerved her to say the least, I can only think or assume they were checking out her details or just trying to see if she would do anything out of the ordinary or necessary to require a stop?! I have no idea? But it's damn rude!

It a clear sign they were hands off the wheel, tapping into the NPR device and looking at the screen instead of keeping their eyes on the road.

They should be given a ticket for reckless driving. :D

UnMarked said:
If you (OP) feel strongly enough about what happened (perhaps getting it off your chest on this forum has satisfied your frustration) then do make a written complaint to either the local station

In my case, this all happened 15 years ago, and although I was cross at the time, I took the view that if that particular copper continued to call everyone "Sonny", then somebody, at some point, will have punched him in the throat, and he will have got his just desserts...

Anyone who thinks it's a good idea to brake test someone, that's utterly moronic. You are making a dodgy situation even more dangerous, well done, have a medal.

I'd just slow down and stop somewhere convenient or turn off as soon as possible, not attempt to have them ram me in the back.

Dave!

Keep all doors locked and don't even wind down the windows. :D

Fit covert cameras to your car, front, rear and sides.
You will be able to start your own series of 'Cops Caught On Camera' !!
Certainly, if it was captured on film, imagine the outrage!! Imagine the payout for what is essentially bullying by thoughtless officers who give we decent officers a bad name.
The Few, Spoiling it for the majority.

Humffffff:crazy:

Thats happened to me many times, although it must be said, not yet in the Mercedes.
When I had my Elan, that was a real cop magnet and I had to have 1.5 eyes on the rear view mirror most of the time.
It is a total goading action. To encourage you to speed up.
However, as Uberwagon rightly says, the best thing to do is turn first left and double back onto your original road and resume your journey. Also done that many times. Specially in the rain and at night. You cant see WHO it is following you. And when the plonker sits on your back bumper blinding you with his headlamps, the only safe/sensible thing to do is the double back manuvre.............

I don't see why a copper wants to goad you to speed. Especially as in this case the copper was in a marked car so that last thing anyone will do is break the speed limit once you see him in your mirror.

If he was driving an unmarked car, and bullied you into speeding by tailgating you etc and then booked you for it I would say its bad sport and naughty etc, but in a marked car just plain daft as he won't get his result.

Not happened to me but it did (as I said earlier) to my friend, that was at night aswell, on a unlit dual carriageway. It was only as she got close to her town/village where street lights were on that the car overtook and carried on. Most odd.

.... I wouldn't send it to the Traffic Sgt as there's no mention of it being a traffic car and it could easily be a beat unit/dog vehicle/ARV etc .

I stand corrected. I was under the (wrong) impression that the Traffic Sgt was responsible for all Police vehicles, marked & unmarked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom