Another cowboy clamping/towing company - Midway parks, Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malluboy77

SUPPORTER
Car
S204 250CGI Sport
Hi All

Expecting to pay at least £390.00 to get my car released for parking in a pay and display car park despite paying, displaying and parking properly. The site is £2.00 all day car park in Cecil St, Birmingham. Came back from work today to find my car missing. Local police have confirmed that the car is with Midway parking. I don't usually park at this site as I get parking at NCP for £3.50. Thought of walking a bit and saving a lil money:wallbash:

Quick search on the net was very revealing. All cars get towed away and stored. Minimum release fee is £390.00 + £40 per additional day for storage. They were not answering calls and I went to their site in Bordesley Green. (Usual as cars get stored at least for one day as from info on the net ) A tatty building fully walled off and secured with two steel gates. Can't even see which cars are inside. Typical, no one answered. There are accounts of other people who were clamped and towed despite paying by the same company.

If I see some damage to the car and call Police for help tomorrow, are they likely to be of help? Or should I even waste time calling them? Is there anything I should check my transmission being auto?

Many thanks
Joe

Here is some info about them..

1. Please Advice - Midway Parks ( Birmingham - Ellis Street)

2.Midway Parks in Birmingham, B9 4DG. Car Park Companies in Birmingham - Touch Birmingham

3.Ban Wheel Clamping! | Forums | BirminghamMail.net

4.FightBack Forums > Car was towed - taking it to court just need some advise

5.Public Service Notice: Do not use Ellis Street Car Park, Birmingham | Transforming Grace

I am very much sure that the ticket showed the all day fare and it was displayed right. The car was parked properly. I have no clue as to why they towed my car.

If I was in your situation and 100% sure that you had a valid ticket in the car, I would tell the police it has been stolen. Only if you are 100% sure.

I am certainly 100% sure.
If they say that I would not be able to see my car before paying, I would be calling the Police for sure. Anyway Police can see it on their records that it has been clamped. I was extremely annoyed with the local police station as they seemed to think that it must have been clamped for a reason. I should have the ticket in the car while local car wash guys saw the car towed away. They can tell the police where exactly it was parked as well. I am going to follow this with a few letters..

If the clamping firm refuse to give you the car back, even though you have a valid ticket, it has been stolen. The ploice should be able to do something about that.

What a joke £390 is. When is the government going to get a grip with these underhand greedy rodents and start making unreasonable charges an offence?

Midway sound like a nasty bunch of criminals who earn a healthy income from 'legal' activites. Legal being used in a very loose morally corrupt way.

Good luck taking them on.

Is there a list of car parks they operate out of? If not would it be sensible / practical / feasible to put one together so that forum members and their friends can avoid using them or at least be aware of the risks?

Thanks for posting the links. What a shocking indictment of Britain today - the lazy Councils, Police, Trading Standards, etc. It beggars belief that this sort of scam is allowed to continue day after day, month after month.

Sadly, I think you need to pay up ASAP and get your car back in your possession. There is no redress against these people and it seems (from your links) that time spent investigating options simply is time spent increasing your "fine".

I wonder whether they tend to target high value cars knowing that the owner will just pay to get the car back quickly and safely.

What a shocking indictment of Britain today - the lazy Councils, Police, Trading Standards, etc. It beggars belief that this sort of scam is allowed to continue day after day, month after month.

Think that just about sums it up.

Where has this scamming culture come from? Its making Britain a horrible place to live.

Can you pay by credit card and then claim the payment was under duress and get your money back?

Doubt it then they would have to pay tax

Sounds like kidnapping of your car with you paying a ransom to get it back.

This just has to be illegal somewhere, doesn't it?

tac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom