Another Crabbing Question???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E63SGem

Car
E63S W212
Hi
I am new here.
I have looked for and also at previous threads on this.

Could not find answer to my question hance post.

Prior to looking at E63S w212 I was contemplating to get an E43 but the crabbing (skipping/juddering or whatever you want to call it) personally put me off.

I have very limited experience with E63S W212 having never owned one. Nor do I know anyone that owens one.

Does the E63S have the same problem? To the same degree?

I really hope not but any personal experiences with the E62S W212 would be much appreciated.

Thank you

I have got an E53 and yes it does do it but to me it’s not that big a deal. It is worse when it is cold and I only really notice it when reversing off my drive first thing in the morning.

The W212 E63 (S model, or not) is RWD and doesn’t have the same crabbing characteristic that the 4WD cars do. However... In cold weather, i.e. less than around 5 degrees, if the front tyres are worn then the front end will briefly shudder at low speed if on full lock until there's some heat in the tyres.

It’s absolutely nothing to worry about and perfectly normal.

The W212 doesn't suffer from this at all, it's the 4Matic W213 which has the issues.

Thanks, puts my mind at ease.

The search continues...

Just confirming. I had a w212 and now a w213 (actually an s212 and then a s213).
w212 is RWD in UK and therefore no issues with crabbing ever on any tyre...
w213 will crab if you don't have winter tyres in the Winter. However after switching to Conti 860s last December I never saw the issue again.
Just switched back on Michelin Sport 4s (summers) and felt it again yesterday morning (it was 3 degrees). However when it got warm it's absolutely fine.
The moral of the story is do what the Germans do and you will be fine. Winter Tyres in Winter and Summer Tyres on the Summer!
P.

Just confirming. I had a w212 and now a w213 (actually an s212 and then a s213).
w212 is RWD in UK and therefore no issues with crabbing ever on any tyre...
w213 will crab if you don't have winter tyres in the Winter. However after switching to Conti 860s last December I never saw the issue again.
Just switched back on Michelin Sport 4s (summers) and felt it again yesterday morning (it was 3 degrees). However when it got warm it's absolutely fine.
The moral of the story is do what the Germans do and you will be fine. Winter Tyres in Winter and Summer Tyres on the Summer!
P.

Thank you for this.
The W212 I am asking about is the S version so hence permanent 4 wheel drive.

Thanks again for the info.

Thank you for this.
The W212 I am asking about is the S version so hence permanent 4 wheel drive.

Thanks again for the info.
The W212 E63 S in the UK is RWD and not 4 wheel drive. Only the LHD models are 4WD unfortunately!

Biggest differences between the E63 and the E63 S in the UK are increased power and a LSD as standard on the S. Both however are RWD only.

Hi
Thanks for explaining this.
I did think they are 4 wheel drive. Not sure how I got this wrong come to think of it :S

I have found a nice E63S. Regardless of 4 wheel or not I am still going for it :)

Amp is right. All w212 E63s in UK are RWD only... and great fun (especially in wet) because of this!

Gem, the others are right...RWD only, so crabbing not an issue. I'm still driving mine as if I've got Miss Daisy in it (or with the wife in it, as she doesn't like to experience the full 577bhp much, though she does love the car!), and so tail out antics not on the menu. Yet.
You will not regret your purchase.

Good to hear,
I liked the idea of 4 wheel drive for 2 reasons:
Handling and also just incase we have snow again
I have also been told even if it was 4 wheel in snow performance cars are not that good anyways.
I am looking forward to it.
I found out after I handed over the deposit and even if it was such a massive issue that I would not want the car I would feel bad about going back on the deal out of principle. Regardless of this I am very excited to own one very soon.

An E63 is fine in snow if it has winter tyres on it. A 4WD E63 with winter tyres is just even better in snow but most conditions we get here you'd be alright with RWD. A 4WD car in snow with summer tyres is useless compared to a 2WD car on winter tyres.

I really wouldn't worry about a bit of hopping when leaving your driveway, it is not dangerous and doesnt damage your car. I certainly wouldn't avoid buying a car just over such a trivial matter. I had a gla 45 and a few cars before it that hopped and it really isnt anything to be concerned about. I recently had a glc 350D in cold weather. The GLC is vilified on forums for having major crabbing issues and I really couldn't see what the fuss is about, beautiful car /SUV thingy

I liked the idea of 4 wheel drive for 2 reasons:
Handling and also just incase we have snow again

Just remember, a 4WD car with summer tyres in snow has 4 wheels with zero grip instead of just 2!

You wont be thinking about crabbing as you try to put down +500bhp down on your RWD E63S using summer tyres on a winters morning!!! :)

Enjoy the new car (non crabbing E43 on winter tyres owner here)

An E63 is fine in snow if it has winter tyres on it. A 4WD E63 with winter tyres is just even better in snow but most conditions we get here you'd be alright with RWD. A 4WD car in snow with summer tyres is useless compared to a 2WD car on winter tyres.

My E63 is by far the best MB i have ever owned in the snow. The MCT gearbox has a biting point like a manual making setting off in the snow an absolute breeze. Key thing is to take it slow, and always look ahead to anticipate any hills, stopping etc. My latest experience last month was on my Pirelli Pzero summer tyres with about 4mm tread left!

My experience is a C63 also with the MCT gearbox and it was useless on Yokohama Advans but fine on Pilot Alpin 4 tyres a year later. I had also added a Wavetrac differential in that time but it's the tyres that made the most difference.

My E63 is by far the best MB i have ever owned in the snow. The MCT gearbox has a biting point like a manual making setting off in the snow an absolute breeze. Key thing is to take it slow, and always look ahead to anticipate any hills, stopping etc. My latest experience last month was on my Pirelli Pzero summer tyres with about 4mm tread left!

Try it on snow with winter tyres & you won't believe how much better it is, just like there is no snow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom