Another eBay selling experience..............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wouldnt have made any difference if you had kept your insurance running, unless matey boy was planning to claim to be you.
Yes it would, I could have been held liable for any claims whilst my policy was extant.

Eventually the auction ended at £422, fair enough, double the best scrap offer and hopefully to be of use to someone.

Arrangements were made for the buyer to come and see / collect the car on Friday, they were coming from London and intended to travel by train so I offered to pick them up from Salisbury station.

Confirming this on Thursday evening I am contacted from a different number saying "I am the person picking up the car tomorrow, can you pick me up from the bus station?"

This was no problem and so I picked up the "Gentleman" as agreed.

I was expecting , at this point in the story , that you were going to have a chancer turn up for the car and the real buyer phoning later to say he was at the railway station !

It would allow him to drive insured through his own policy (third party cover) the car needs to be insured elsewhere for this cover to be in place though.
Some policies have this requirement , others don't - it pays to read the wording of the policy .

To complete his day I would have called nice Mr Plod and given them details of the car and the possibility he was driving without insurance.

To complete his day I would have called nice Mr Plod and given them details of the car and the possibility he was driving without insurance.

Would I have been liable if I had knowingly let him drive uninsured? How many checks are we expected to carry out on someone when we sell a vehicle?

Living in London he would be picked up on ANPR systems regularly so I assume he did have insurance in place for a vehicle. Perhaps he did not want to be stopped for other non motoring related reasons?

Would I have been liable if I had knowingly let him drive uninsured? How many checks are we expected to carry out on someone when we sell a vehicle?

Living in London he would be picked up on ANPR systems regularly so I assume he did have insurance in place for a vehicle. Perhaps he did not want to be stopped for other non motoring related reasons?
No : the onus is on him to ensure he has insurance in place ; by advising him your insurance does not cover him you have done your duty and whatever he does after that is his problem.

I’ve twice been in that position selling cars , both were MOT expired cars I just wanted rid of .

The first was an old Cortina I had bought as a stopgap and used until the MOT expired then advertised in the local supermarket for spares or repairs for £50 . A couple of young lads turned up , saw it running and bit my hand off . I pointed out that it needed tyres and I didn’t know what else , had no MOT , I was keeping the tax disc and would be cancelling the insurance in the morning, and in any case it didn’t cover them . I also made it clear the car was very cheap and I didn’t want to see it again . With that they drove off .

The next night I had the police at my door as they had caught the lads out racing their mates in the car and , of course , the registration still came back to me ( long before the internet) .

I explained I’d sold the car the night before , that it was for spares or repairs as the MOT had expired , that I’d cancelled my insurance the next morning and was about to post off the tax disc for refund along with the document which I still had ( with the lad’s name and address filled in ) .

The cops asked me to confirm I’d told them it was for spares or repairs, which I did and my sister corroborated, and asked how did they take it away - when I said they drove it they smiled knowingly.
I asked if there was any comeback and they said no - I had made it clear the car was not
MOTD and that my insurance didn’t cover them so they would be charged with both offences . They did say , oddly enough , that the vehicle was still taxed , so they could only be charged with failing to display , but since I was sending the disc back for a refund they wouldn’t bother ( as they would have needed to have kept the disc ) . I never heard anything further .

The other occasion was when I was selling one of my W126s , this chap ( a friend of a friend , so not a total stranger ) turned up , looked over it then asked if he could take a test drive . I said I didn’t mind but at his risk because the car had no tax insurance or MOT . I knew he worked in a garage , so when he told me he had trade insurance which covered him to drive any car I let him take it out . Five minutes later he returned, very happy , and paid me for the car .

Oddly enough , although I’ve bought many cars down the years , I’ve sold very few , generally either giving them away to friends or family when finished with them , breaking for spares or scrapping them .

Living in London he would be picked up on ANPR systems regularly

The MID wouldn’t have updated in time. It takes a few days sometimes. Ridiculous I know :p

The MID wouldn’t have updated in time. It takes a few days sometimes. Ridiculous I know :p

It had updated by 22:00 on this.

What I found annoying when buying the E Class was that the VED for the car was removed immediately the previous keeper transferred it to me on a Saturday (08:00), I renewed the VED within 30 minutes on line yet it took until the following Tuesday to be updated.

I asked the DVLA and their response was that the VED system is not "live" and therefore takes several days to up-date.

This is nonsense as it updates to remove the VED status immediately thus ensuring the Government receive two VED payments per vehicle if done after the first day of the month.

Of course we have no idea how often Police update the ANPR database(s) or do they have live links to VED, MOT and Insurance and do all Police forces operate in the same way?

No liability on you, but as my sister suffered life changing injuries in a crash caused by a non-insured driver and had to fight for six years to get minimal compensation, I have zero tolerance for the uninsured on our roads. It is antisocial and criminal behaviour.

No liability on you, but as my sister suffered life changing injuries in a crash caused by a non-insured driver and had to fight for six years to get minimal compensation, I have zero tolerance for the uninsured on our roads. It is antisocial and criminal behaviour.

I absolutely agree.

If I remember correctly the Motor Insurance Bureau now have a fund set aside specifically to ensure those injured or otherwise disadvantaged by uninsured drivers do not go without financial compensation?

If so I imagine that the process is not straightforward.

I absolutely agree.

If I remember correctly the Motor Insurance Bureau now have a fund set aside specifically to ensure those injured or otherwise disadvantaged by uninsured drivers do not go without financial compensation?

If so I imagine that the process is not straightforward.

If this is correct? It does not work out in practice. I lost out by £3500 when my AMG was hit by an un-insured driver who was driving on the Public Roads and produced a fraudulent certificate. He was arrested and charged but I got nothing back and lost heavily in damages and my own insurance.

If this is correct? It does not work out in practice. I lost out by £3500 when my AMG was hit by an un-insured driver who was driving on the Public Roads and produced a fraudulent certificate. He was arrested and charged but I got nothing back and lost heavily in damages and my own insurance.

Sorry to hear that Bruce and apologies if I have brought back unpleasant memories.

Link here :Welcome to MIB

It was a long process, with the MIB nominating an insurer (the chap was driving his girlfriend's car without being insured so they nominated her insurer) and that took about three years, then that insurer fought it every inch of the way. This was 25 years ago though, recently a young friend had his car swideswiped by a foreign truck, and that claim was settled by the MIB in a much more expeditious way.

I was aware that there is now a compensation scheme for personal injury caused by uninsured drivers, but not that it covered material damage as well. Possibly the foreign lorry driver was insured, and the MIB simply acted as your young friend's agent in pursuing the claim?

"A little dramatic for a £400 car, this not the wild west of Wales you know! "

No its filled with ex KGB spies, assassination attempts & chemical weapons ...really quiet & peaceful lol

he buys many cars and does not need to test it! He was not bothered about the car as long as it drove because.....................He was exporting it to Nigeria.

Same story I got from the guy who "bought" my CLK on EBay a few weeks ago. Except he strung me along for nearly two weeks then disappeared without paying for or collecting the car!
Not sure I'd use EBay again to sell anything, it appears to have gone down hill rapidly lately.

"A little dramatic for a £400 car, this not the wild west of Wales you know! "

No its filled with ex KGB spies, assassination attempts & chemical weapons ...really quiet & peaceful lol

Did you forget the Stone(d) hugging hippies, the Druids and other assorted fruit and nut cases ? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom