Another Fake 190E Sportline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1991 MERCEDES 190 2.6 SPORTLINE EX SHOW CAR ONE OF A KIND FEATURED IN MAGAZINES | eBay

Nothing Sportline about J69 HMR, itself a valuable cherished number plate (who knew?).

Apparently, it's "BEEN DISPLAYED AT MERCEDES WORLD IN
BROOKLANDS AND FEATURED IN MERCEDES ENTHUSIAST MAGAZINE"!!!

Local to me and I actually met one of the previous owner who was (for a short while) the RO for the Anglia North Region of the official Mercedes Club.
I was suprised when he told me a the Sportline model mixed with the Sports setting on the gearbox gave his car an extra 100 bhp :rolleyes: :doh:
It was only then I let him know I own a Mercedes of similar generation.

Yes, it's been in Mercedes Enthusiast but not sure about Brooklands.
IIRC, the ME article stated it has the Sportline chassis, but that's all.
Remove all the chrome and fit the correct alloys and it would seem someone would have a very lovely 190E.

Darren

Last edited:
All the tat on that car looks truly, truly awful. IMHO, of course

Nick Froome

Yes, it's been in Mercedes Enthusiast but not sure about Brooklands.
IIRC, the ME article stated it has the Sportline chassis, but that's all.

If they said that they were wrong.

m7t6oo.jpg

I would like to own a 2.6 190e, not bothered if its sportline. Just to play with the power. It is possible to transplant a larger engine into the 2.6 isnt it?

Getting the elelctrics working takes a bit of time but the 3.6 M104 will drop straight in :thumb:

ebuyerdottcom, the seller of HUI 5490 is adamant the car does have Sportline suspension - "I have the option list and the details stated are correct."

Below is the factory build spec for anyone considering this car.

dw5u1.jpg

hui looks a really nice example wot do you guys think its worth as interested in having one of these especially with that interior.thx simon

come on guys someone must have an idea,dont want to give silly money for it but it looks really nice example but i have no idea how much i should bid on it,please help.thx simon

Well, what's it worth to you? Have you seen it, had a good look all around, inside & out, underneath? Examined the history, the paperwork, taken it for a drive?

Nick Froome, bolide on here & 124 dot co dot uk in his day job lives close to this car & I'd have thought he'd be all over it if it was a diamond, but that's just supposition.

Bear in mind the Sports chassis (which the vendor knows this car doesn't have) is the important & expensive / difficult bit to find. The other bits are easy - I can sell you that interior to fit a pre or post facelift 190 & you can install it in less than 2 hours, even if you are a klutz.

Last edited:
My 2.6 achieved just over £700 on ebay with full mot and long tax. Although not leather, the interior was clean and tidy/no rips. The car was mechanically and bodily sound with electric windows and sunroof. These cars don't seem to fetch a lot of money with limited demand (be aware a full exhaust system is around the £400 mark)

well i bid to 1750.00 and now im out,think that was enough to pay for it.thx guys for the help.

cheers simon

Made £1600 last time and wants £7k? Whats it worth?

Under what it 'sold' for last time?

Anyone who demands & expects a deposit on an unseen car on ebay is deluded.

Thats what i was thinking, so I am not missing anything?

In keeping with the topic, can anyone advise what a 190e 2.6 sportline is actually worth?

I've got one with sportline suspension and steering, but no sportline interior.

My reason for asking is that I need to address the rear window leak issue, and I'm not too sure if I should be spending the money on this aspect, as I will probably sell it in the summer.

To give you an indication, I paid £1100 for the car, and since owning it I've had the following done:

Professionally Rebuilt fuel distributor
New injectors
OVP relay
Rear shocks
Steering idler
New prop
HT leads/distributor cap and arm
Ignition coil
Reconditioned ignition module

I've carried on with work based on the fact that its a genuine 2.6 sportline in a nice colour (same colour as the hui on ebay) and has been very well looked after by myself and its previous owner, and has AC.

I realise they are only worth what anyone is willing to pay for them, but given the mount of work already done, is it worth me spending another £500 odd on welding and paint, or should I let the ext guy have a go

In keeping with the topic, can anyone advise what a 190e 2.6 sportline is actually worth?

I've got one with sportline suspension and steering, but no sportline interior.

My reason for asking is that I need to address the rear window leak issue, and I'm not too sure if I should be spending the money on this aspect, as I will probably sell it in the summer.

To give you an indication, I paid £1100 for the car, and since owning it I've had the following done:

Professionally Rebuilt fuel distributor
New injectors
OVP relay
Rear shocks
Steering idler
New prop
HT leads/distributor cap and arm
Ignition coil
Reconditioned ignition module

I've carried on with work based on the fact that its a genuine 2.6 sportline in a nice colour (same colour as the hui on ebay) and has been very well looked after by myself and its previous owner, and has AC.

I realise they are only worth what anyone is willing to pay for them, but given the mount of work already done, is it worth me spending another £500 odd on welding and paint, or should I let the ext guy have a go

What's the mileage/history like? How many owners?

Condition of the bodywork/interior? Do all the electrical items/gadgets work - including the air con?

If the rest of the car is in excellent condition then it's probably worth the effort in getting it A1, but if it's otherwise average I don't think you'll see a return on the extra money spent. 190Es are still quite common and even good ones aren't all that expensive. I'd probably say the the #1 area I would look for would be a rust-free example with good bodywork - all the other stuff is easy/cheap to sort. Bodywork is expensive and it's seldom better than factory examples that have been kept immaculate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom