Another Fake 190E Sportline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Will

Mileage is 170k. All the usual leaks have been sorted by myself and the previous owner.
I decided to get the fuel distributor refurbed and recalibrated because it was a little sluggish at first. My mechanic had 6 brand new injectors in a box from years ago, so we ordered the seals and changed them, and boy did it make difference in power.

It ad a cold start issue, hence the OVP, ignition coil etc. fault was eventually located to intermittent fault on ignition module and I managed to locate a reconditioned unit from the US, which cured the problem.
The interior is very good, very little signs of wear.
All electrics work as they should, including ice cold air.
Bodywork is very good, solid underneath with no rust to jacking points, sills etc. it's got the usual problem on the rear screen, and in order to see how serious this is, I need to get the rear screen removed first. This is school run car, so it will have to wait until after half term.

The main reason for the extensive maintenance on the engine, was that I used it for a 100mile a day daily commute for 2 months, before settling back down to working from home.

The leaky rear windscreen I fear will have to be addressed before I sell it, if I'm to stand a chance of getting anywhere near what's been spent.

I did have a fanciful idea of trying to locate a grey leather sportline interior with matching door cards, but finding one of those is like trying to find a clean genuine sportline, and I spent quite a while looking for this!

Hi Will

Mileage is 170k. All the usual leaks have been sorted by myself and the previous owner.
I decided to get the fuel distributor refurbed and recalibrated because it was a little sluggish at first. My mechanic had 6 brand new injectors in a box from years ago, so we ordered the seals and changed them, and boy did it make difference in power.

It ad a cold start issue, hence the OVP, ignition coil etc. fault was eventually located to intermittent fault on ignition module and I managed to locate a reconditioned unit from the US, which cured the problem.
The interior is very good, very little signs of wear.
All electrics work as they should, including ice cold air.
Bodywork is very good, solid underneath with no rust to jacking points, sills etc. it's got the usual problem on the rear screen, and in order to see how serious this is, I need to get the rear screen removed first. This is school run car, so it will have to wait until after half term.

The main reason for the extensive maintenance on the engine, was that I used it for a 100mile a day daily commute for 2 months, before settling back down to working from home.

The leaky rear windscreen I fear will have to be addressed before I sell it, if I'm to stand a chance of getting anywhere near what's been spent.

I did have a fanciful idea of trying to locate a grey leather sportline interior with matching door cards, but finding one of those is like trying to find a clean genuine sportline, and I spent quite a while looking for this!

Mine didn't have any leaks, what are the usual leaks?

Grey as in Anthracite (black) or much lighter Orion grey?

Neil

Head gasket, tension seal and the seal at the front of the block, I don't know what it's called. My mechanic said that this was a common problem.

If I did do the interior change, it would have to be the Orion Grey, other use headlining and all other trim would have to be looked at....You don't have one do you???

If I could find the right trim, then I would probably not be able to bring myself to sell it!

With respect, a 170k mile 190E 2.6 with rust around the rear screen isn't going to be worth fortunes. If you can get back what the car cost you originally (excluding what you've spent on it) I think you'll be doing well. Another £500 is not going to make it worth that much more to sell IMHO.

If it were an otherwise immaculate 100k miler with 2+2 seats etc then probably yes.

Cut your losses and save the hassles I would. Get it cleaned up, some decent pictures and see how it goes as is IMHO :)

Best of luck with the sale :cool:

Will

Thanks for the opinion.

The more I think about it, the more I want to save it!

If I could find a decent light grey 2+2 leather interior and matching door cards, I would probably get the welding done and give it to my mum to drive around. That way it gets her out of that crappy Peugeot 306 cabriolet that my dad bought for her when he got bored one day. She's the only one in the house that doesn't drive a three pointed star.

Getting back on topic, surely any prospective sportline buyer would do their homework and do the basic checks to check the validity of a sportline specification? I know I did.

I've never even seen a (2+2) Sportline interior in light grey leather, just all black leather, Sportline check and half leather. Apart from Carat specials was light grey ever an option?

And, just out of interest, where are the 6 injectors located on an M103?

I've never even seen a (2+2) Sportline interior in light grey leather, just all black leather, Sportline check and half leather. Apart from Carat specials was light grey ever an option?

And, just out of interest, where are the 6 injectors located on an M103?

You can get Sportline/16v seats in other colours - I've seen beige and dark blue leather as well as the standard black leather, cloth/check or the half check/leather offerings in regular 16v cars :)

The injectors are brass nozzles fitted to the inlet manifold - follow the metal fuel lines from the fuel distributor and you'll see them :thumb:

My dad had a fully loaded 2.6 sportline back in the early 90's. mother of pearl with dark red sportline leather. I didn't appreciate the colour back then, but I do now!

The injectors are very easy to do, I did them under the supervision of my mechanic. Current price from GSF is £25.00 per injector (Bosch ones) I was lucky that he had 6 new ones lying around. Bit of a waste to do the fuel distributor and not the injectors.

A few photos of my 2.6 with Sportline chassis, (five seat) orion grey leather. 113k miles. FSH, rebuilt suspension, gearbox & top end of engine. Not for sale!

Sportlinefront.jpg

2009bikesSp-lineseafront0044.jpg

2009bikesSp-lineseafront0053.jpg

2009bikesSp-lineseafront0052.jpg

2009bikesSp-lineseafront0042.jpg

Nice!

Never ceases to amaze me how much of a difference the subtle 22mm lowering makes to the look of a 190.

I took my rear spoiler off. Personal preference for me.

Nice, mine is Pearl Grey metalic with Sportline check cloth (2+2), AMG alloys and I'm not aware of any options it doesn't have except maybe electric/heated seats. It's not for sale either.

Oh and its over 230k miles. FSH, rebuilt suspension (with NOS AMG dampers and H&R springs), & top end of engine.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried to properly locate a leather sportline interior?

I've got a full black leather interior (manual front & rear seats, 4 x 4 headrests, 4 x doorcards) from a 16v available........

Please ignore the last post, wasn't paying attention.

Do you have any other trim parts to match?

Yeah, a few bits.

Those bits are easy to find, the seats & door cards much less so.

Last edited:
A few photos of my 2.6 with Sportline chassis, (five seat) orion grey leather. 113k miles. FSH, rebuilt suspension, gearbox & top end of engine. Not for sale!

very nice indeed :thumb:

Neil. Will pm you later this evening if that's ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom