Another first-time sighting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
I spotted a new one on me yesterday, near my home.

A big, nay massive, Mercedes SUV which I naively assume must be the GL. Very big, very angular and very plug ugly. Horrible in fact! Not seen one like that before. Was it the GL, or are there other very large SUVs in the M-B stable?

What probably made it even worse was the colour - the very rare M-B shade of 'Ubiquitous Silver'.

Not a fan - can you tell?

A g-wagen perhaps?
mercedes-benz-g-class-g-wagen.jpg

How DARE you say you are not a fan? It is GORGEOUS! When I win the lottery (prolly next week) it will be top of my shopping list along with an R230 and a heritage softtail.

Haha!

No - it definitely wasn't a G-Wagon, although the side profile was boxy enough. I only got a distant-ish side look at it, but I would say the front was more sloping, like an ML.

Having had a quick Google, it could have been a GL-

mercedes-gl01.jpg

- although I thought the wheel arches looked more angular and the side looked more 'fussy' than this pic.

Size-wise, if anyone knows what a Chevy Suburban looks like, then it must be fairly similar to that.

Last edited:
Big SUV's need dark colours to counteract the "acres of metal" look IMHO

Yeah, you're right there.

The usual problem exists though. The 'acres of metal' look is perfectly fine when you're pitting your wits against nature and the elements in the vastness of Monument Valley.

When negotiating a small roundabout anywhere in the UK, however... :ban:

That's got the same sort of 'pulling a face' look as the BMW on a recent thread ........... and the guy in the Bonjela advert !

Never seen a GLK in the flesh - I'd guess RAV-4 or CR-V size?

I saw a GLK near heathrow airport it was hideous thought it was a Toyota or something until i saw the 3 pointed star...

K

That was my initial reaction - "what a sac de merde" - and then I saw the star on the tailgate.

The size still troubles me. No doubt the GLK is fugly enough to be what I saw, but as it was at a bit of a distance, and there was traffic between us, I thought it looked massive. But as Rob says, the pics here look more like RAV4 size. It must have been on a trailer I guess.

I wonder where M-B are going to go next in the race to fill (or create) yet another pointless market niche... :rolleyes:

the R class is huge too

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom