Another great driving day, up the northwest, what are you waiting for.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Yesteday I decided to take “the shed” for a run. It has not broken down or presented me with a bill or MOT failure for 2 weeks so I decided what it needed, since the weather was so good on Friday, was a run up the North West.

I had in mind the Mull of Kintyre, but this is Scotland and as such, sunshine is a commodity and you need to follow the weather so I didn’t go down the Mull of Kintyre but instead headed up North.

I hit the A82 and decided by Tarbert where the road splits that the Sunshine was not to be had in the Southwest, but rather the North.

Driving up Loch Lomond was slow work. A bus and an HGV meeting at the narrow section before the traffic lights on the way to Ardlui kinda brings all to a standstill.

At Crianlarch, the weather is rather agreeable. Rather than do what I always do, I head to Tyndrum and take the A85 down to Dalmally and Loch Awe. This particular stetch demonstrates the E320cdi sport in the best light, nice grunty engine, firm suspension and sports seats hold you in place, as you travel and well, ahem, speeds that are best not told. Here was the view.

DSC_0617.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

The shed looking rather purposeful outside the Loch Awe Hotel

DSC_0616.jpg

DSC_0625.jpg

The Hotel itself used to be a railway hotel, and indeed there is a station there, and its on the Oban line. Only 4 trains a day, so if you miss it, it’s a long wait. The train line itself offers very scenic views and is a good way to get to Oban from Glasgow, but I would rather drive.

A certain person may recognize here

DSC_0629.jpg

A further clue
DSC_0637.jpg

For those coming on the highland road trip you will get to see this too. If not, too bad, my pictures will have to do.

I am at Connell. There is an airport here and I believe the water plane from Glasgow lands near here too.

Naturally I was getting hungry by this point, and I was told there was a good place to eat in “Port Appin”. What a shame I had a tenner in my wallet and a growling belly. Some Atlantic prawns seemed a nice lunch. What about the views.

DSC_0647.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0652.jpg

DSC_0650.jpg

DSC_0661.jpg

DSC_0662.jpg

As you can see they are absolutely rubbish. Quite why you would drive here when you can go to KFC in Glasgow beats me….NOT!!!!

The weather has picked up somewhat, and this is a theme for the rest of the day.

I continued up the Appin coast if you like, to Ballahulish. Now, I’ve shown you all pictures of this before, and I have rabbited on about how good the “Kinlochleven road” is, don’t believe me….

DSC_0665.jpg

DSC_0663.jpg

The view ain’t half bad

DSC_0668.jpg

The car seems to like it too.

DSC_0664.jpg

This is a real “drivers” road, with lots of twists and turns, I tend to set the speedtronic on it (not saying what speed) as there is a danger if you are pressing on, that you arrive at a bend too fast (easy with 369ft/b torque) and you overcook it. It’s a 3rd/4th gear road and is simply, if you like driving, you will like this. It also highlights to me, one of the weaknesses of 7g. 3rd-4th is a change at 69mph. On a tight road, this is a problem, I would ideally like 50-80mph spanned in one gear (3rd). It upsets the flow somewhat, its better to go a bit slower and stay in 3rd all the way, although having a sport spec car means manual overrides on the wheel, and these are needed.

After my outburst of speed here, I toned it down and headed to the “Road to the Isles”. However, I turned off at Loch Ailfort and headed for Strontian. This is where the metal, Strontian was discovered, but you would never know unless I told you. The town (well villiage really) makes no bones about it, but does have an ATM, which is handy, if you are in the middle of nowhere. What I particularly love about this road, is it makes you feel like you are out there, on the road alone. Nothing else matters but you, the views and the car. Its brilliant, it clears your head.

This view is looking down to Corpach

DSC_0670.jpg

This is looking towards Glen Finnan

DSC_0671.jpg

A lot on here have been up the Ft William side of Loch Linne, who has been on the other side. I have, here is the view

DSC_0673.jpg

DSC_0674.jpg

DSC_0675.jpg

I like single track roads, but when Motorbikes come and the bikers swear at you, despite pulling over as much as you can without going into a ditch, because they have to squeeze past, it can become wearing. However, they offer a completely unique driving experience and you need to keep your obersvation tip top as something could be coming the other. Speedtronic is a good device to help you with this.

DSC_0676.jpg

DSC_0677.jpg

However, the road opens out into double track, and to one of the best sets of driving road I have ever sampled, to the fellas that are coming on the highland GTG, if time, there might be time for this. As well as the views and the fresh sea food. I only got one pic, sorry, was too busy enjoying this road

DSC_0680.jpg

And now to Strontian and beyond.

Here is a rather nice view, don’t know what of, but what the hell

DSC_0681.jpg

DSC_0682.jpg

Now remember how I mentioned the weather, it was getting better. Here is a view of the Isles of Rum and Eigg.

DSC_0688.jpg

DSC_0690.jpg

DSC_0692.jpg

DSC_0696.jpg

Well, what can I say, its wonderful. Now this is where the detour via Strontian now hooks back up with the main road to Mallaig, which has been majorly upgraded with EU funds.

The views, well, take ‘em in, they do not get much better
DSC_0703.jpg

DSC_0708.jpg

DSC_0709.jpg

DSC_0704.jpg

DSC_0707.jpg

The site here is particularly interesting, as it was one of the last fights of the Jacobite resistance against Bonnie prince Charlie. In actual fact the whole area from Glencoe to here is stooped in lots of Scottish history.

The run to Mallaig is always pleasant, and the long straights you can really put the car through its paces, and I mean, really through them, lots of visibility, sweeping bends, 3000cc of V6 make for fun fast driving.

Just to get the point home, this is the road to the Isles and it was not raining.

DSC_0714.jpg

DSC_0715.jpg

DSC_0716.jpg

Quick fish supper in Mallaig, then the normal way back. What a shame that includes Glen coe

DSC_0725.jpg

DSC_0729.jpg

DSC_0735.jpg

Another stop off at the turn for Glen Ative

The shed looking to pounce

DSC_0745.jpg

DSC_0744.jpg

After crossing the Rannoch Moor I had to stop for this. The clouds were sitting on the mountain like “caps”. Never seen that on that run, and it is quite familiar to me now

DSC_0748.jpg

DSC_0749.jpg

Todays numbers

DSC_0753.jpg

FAO Gizze, just on combined, not bad given the car was driven frequently a) very hard b) on undulating terrain, there were times I was taking it easier but it was also taken to very very high speed (which knocked off 1.5mpg from the trip I would say) and also it given a very hard run round Kinlochleven road.

I would for a almost 9 hour run the car was excellent, adding up to my belief that the 211 is a great car for touring driving, and posseses enough back road ability to keep one entertained. Since changing to conti sport 3 tyres, front end grip is better as well as feedback as to when its likely to run out of grip. Questions that, in everyday situations, you will never ask of this car.

So bar the countryside, the real “star” of the show, is well, “the shed”.

I love Scotland. Get up there in my truck quite a bit, not the same I know but far better than the M25

Daz

Brings back memories of holidays I spent in Scotland, I really must try and get up there again. The road to Loch Etive is a nice cul de sac to explore.

Fabulous Steve !!!

I was sat in the office on Friday and something told me that you'd be off into the Glens.

I love Scotland. Get up there in my truck quite a bit, not the same I know but far better than the M25

Daz

I once had a wee chat with a van driver. Co-incidentally from where trapperjohn stays and he does several deliveries per week in a huge van. Who is more blessed, the man who is paid to drive in a van and take in all these views and great roads (I bet you can enjoy them from a van) or the man with a 911 GT3 that never gets to leave London due to the stresses and strains of the job....

Its the former and not the later. A nail of a car would be fun up there.

I once had a wee chat with a van driver. Co-incidentally from where trapperjohn stays and he does several deliveries per week in a huge van. Who is more blessed, the man who is paid to drive in a van and take in all these views and great roads (I bet you can enjoy them from a van) or the man with a 911 GT3 that never gets to leave London due to the stresses and strains of the job....

Its the former and not the later. A nail of a car would be fun up there.

I agree but I get to places you can't :p last year a hydro plant on top of a mountain above loch ness shut down as part of the mountain collapsed destroying the pipes going through the mountain. I had to deliver some small portakabins so the workers had somewhere to sleep whilst repairs were underway. They made a road up the mountain so extra large trucks could get up there. Took me over an hour to get up there, the weather at the bottom was fine but at the top was so windy you could barely stand, the portakabins had to be bolted down to stop them moving in the wind :eek:

I've got some pics somewhere

Daz

Daz,

My job sounds a lot less interesting than yours. I effing hate mine. Way OT but I sometimes think I would be happier in a job that involved driving. I simply love it. Its why I spend 2x as much as anyone else commuting, because I drive, but I would not have it any other way.

These places, they are all accessible to anyone here on the forum. An overnight in Glasgow and another someplace up north, rather like the weekend Kieth, Sean and I concoctted involving a nice tour of Scotland and anyone can do this, Its more in my door step, but I cannot fathom that those who have nice cars would not come up here and enjoy them for a weekend.

Plus the food up here, wonderful, fresh fish. Cannae beat it

Wow, great pics. I have a Highland drive next weekend, Kyle of Lochalsh down to Glasgow. I hope the weather is as good as that!

Wow, great pics. I have a Highland drive next weekend, Kyle of Lochalsh down to Glasgow. I hope the weather is as good as that!
Thanks, the A87 is a fabulous driving road, utterly devine. You will get views of Glen Garry and the whole run is perfect.

I've lined that one up for day 1 for corned and c240sport97 although, if we make good time, I am going to throw the Strontian one into the mix if the weather is good, as they'll get to see Rum and Eigg and sample driving Nirvana just south of Strontian as the road opens up. Plus I want to see that CLS55amg move!!!

I can just imagine how good those roads will be at 10mpg rather than 37mpg :D

Yep, the Kinloch leven road will knock a big engined car right down, but its so much fun. A lot of the time on the single track roads you cannot go very fast, so you "bank mpg" there and then spank it where you can. Normally on a drive I see well above 37mpg, well well above that I can get into the mid 40s so its quite poor. You'd average about 16-18 in your car so not that bad for 5000cc of joy

Yep, the Kinloch leven road will knock a big engined car right down, but its so much fun. A lot of the time on the single track roads you cannot go very fast, so you "bank mpg" there and then spank it where you can. Normally on a drive I see well above 37mpg, well well above that I can get into the mid 40s so its quite poor. You'd average about 16-18 in your car so not that bad for 5000cc of joy

I didn't record the MPG but I did Stirling to Fort William and beyond at warp speed in my old BMW 330 Coupe and that was fantastic. I swear I was at warp 9 for about 1 hour without seeing another car !

Thats a nice run, down by Loch Lubniag, up Glen Ogle, really enjoy that drive...

It is quiet up here, best bet is to drive during the week, its deserted. I have a few bits and bobs going on and its so good to get out there, take in the fresh air and get away from it all.

I've lined that one up for day 1 for corned and c240sport97 although, if we make good time, I am going to throw the Strontian one into the mix if the weather is good, as they'll get to see Rum and Eigg and sample driving Nirvana just south of Strontian as the road opens up. Plus I want to see that CLS55amg move!!!

I can't wait :)

Great photos and write up. We usually go to Tongue most years. Haven't been for two but your photos make me want to go back again. So next year we will. Usually find late May is ideal but obviously were lucky not to have gone this year looking at the weather.

I can't wait :)

You will love it, the road heads inland, and just climbs up, nice turns, wide and well sighted, its only about 5 miles of excellent road, but the single track stuff has lovely views. I reckon its 2 or so hours onto day 1, but if we make good time, why not...

here is the added part of the route, its gotta be a good day for this add on

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...56.78358,-5.464325&spn=0.377652,1.234589&z=10

I've got lunch lined up. It will be at Port Appin. Good restaurant, views and prices are not bad IMHO for what you get

Great photos and write up. We usually go to Tongue most years. Haven't been for two but your photos make me want to go back again. So next year we will. Usually find late May is ideal but obviously were lucky not to have gone this year looking at the weather.

The run up there is something else, especially from Wiltshire...no wonder you have a remap!!!

Late may is a good time, although late March and April have been good months the last 2 years so it may well be worth bringing your trip a bit forward.

Or join your forum buddies (corned, c240sport97 and me) and a very nice wee driving weekend.

Last edited:
I reckon its 2 or so hours onto day 1, but if we make good time, why not...

we'll just have to start earlier :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom