Another mod carried out today (DRL's) to my W163 ML

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dpbayly

Car
2005 E320cdi
Well a few weeks back i decided i was going to fit either fog or DRL's in the 2 holes in the bottom of my bumper and seeing as i already had a set of DRL's in the garage i went down that route even though i needed to carry out some modification to the bumper in order to fit them here's some pics:

bumper modified:
2012-01-09200406.jpg

Mock fitting:
2012-01-10135313.jpg

Both fitted:
2012-01-10143235.jpg

Lit up:
2012-01-10143143.jpg

2012-01-10143131.jpg

Ive wired them correctly and how they should legally be wired basically they come on as soon as the ignition is switched and go off as soon as the sidelights are switched on.

I know with people this mod is like Marmite you either like them or hate them some cars it works on some it don't IMO i think it works on the ML what's people opinions

I like them :) nice mod.

Well done mate, looks like a real nice job.

How did you do the wiring for them to go off with the side lights?

Great mod - they look OEM.
I like them :)

I am in awe. The reason that I don't like mods is that they nearly always look tacky and like an addon.

You seem to have the knack (and ability) to make them look OEM... I like.

Well done mate, looks like a real nice job.

How did you do the wiring for them to go off with the side lights?

Thanks,

They are Ring DRL's and the wiring comes with all thats needed with a little in line switch able relay where you have an extra wire that taps into the positive wire on the sidelight circuit so when they switch on it shuts the DRL's off there's 2 other wires an earth and a fused line that needs to wired to a ignition switcher power very simple to fit.

These are the lights i used:

Ring BRL0401 Ursa 12v 24v Car LED Daytime Running Cruise-Lite Ice Lights Lamps

Looks fantastic, as other said - indistinguishable from OEM lights.

I have just fitted DRL on my A160, had to go for round ones, as all others did look out of place / aftermarket (would've prefer the same/similar type to yours)...

I like them and think a good saftey measure also.

I'm tempted to fit them in replcae of my fog lights at the front of my car. U don't think I've ever used the front fogs...

Nice! your brave taking a saw to the bumpers!, how white are they in the real world? or do they have a blue-ish tint to them?

Ive actually considered doing somthing like this myself, but I would have to fit some W212 ones as I have yet to see any aftermarket ones which actually look OEM

The 'proper ones' for a E211 are such as these but A) They are pricey and B) I don't actually think they look that good.

Carlsson-DayRunningLight--W211-product-Low-c-Carlsson.jpg

Carlsson_W211_DayRunningLights-fs-1_16BE-Low-c-Carlsson.jpg

I was thinking of doing this style 'mod' if I knew how to wire them up I would do it.

22082009687.jpg

22082009689.jpg

Are these actual OEM ones? or 'Mercedes style' ones?

22082009689.jpg

^ Those were off a Merc USA site and I think are the genuine parts.

You can however get many copies from the bay or e just not sure on the quality / light / colour etc

Nice! your brave taking a saw to the bumpers!, how white are they in the real world? or do they have a blue-ish tint to them?

Ive actually considered doing somthing like this myself, but I would have to fit some W212 ones as I have yet to see any aftermarket ones which actually look OEM

Thanks,

i would say they are very much white with no blue tint to them

I was thinking of doing this style 'mod' if I knew how to wire them up I would do it.

22082009687.jpg

22082009689.jpg

Wiring them up is an easy job if there like mine they will have an extra wire to connect to the sidelight to turn them off when the lights are turned on and if there isn't you could just wire them through a 5 pin relay to shut them off once the sidelights are turned on Simples...

let me know if you need any more help with wiring them and ill draw you up a wiring diagram

^ Those were off a Merc USA site and I think are the genuine parts.

You can however get many copies from the bay or e just not sure on the quality / light / colour etc

I will get the bloke who makes my LEDs to knock up a prototype if theres demand? he asked me about it a few weeks ago.

How strict is the rule to have DRL off, when main/side lights are on? I didn't wire any auto switch, although I do have a manual on/off switch...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom