Another MSL endorsement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich764089

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63 AMG S212 5.5, W221 S500, W220 S600, GBS Zero, Defender Wolf 110, Audi A6 BiTdi, Octavia vRS
I made the long-awaited trip to MSL yesterday, it was an interesting day. What great guys!

Got the E63 on the dyno in the morning for a stage 1 tune. I hadn't realised how loud the car is from the outside...or how good the sound insulation must be :D They went through some health checks and then the first run on the dyno for the stock figure and.....running 690bhp at the crank!! I had no idea it was already mapped and nor did the dealer! I was a little disappointed to be honest, as I wanted to come away with more power and a faster car. Acid offered to try to tune the car for what I wanted (more mid-range torque), as there was still some scope for improvement: try the map and pay for it if you want it, or we'll take it off and just pay for the dyno time. Can't say fairer than that. 👍

The map resulted in 782lb/ft and 734bhp at the crank (I think around 100lb/ft more torque in the mid-range). After the fitting of the Quaife LSD, I took the car for a spin and am pretty sure could feel the increased mid-range torque and it wasn't just placebo! (Difficult to fully test in rush-hour Brum). Acid still wouldn't let me pay until I'd properly tried the map on the way home - not many (any?) places would be that trusting. It's a beast; suffice to say I've already transferred the remaining funds!

I was a little concerned about the high power figure and engine longevity (given Acid's initial comments that they are now more conservative in their M157 mapping for longevity), and Acid has offered to "tame" the tune a little if I want in a couple of weeks. Again, can't say fairer than that, top man! Interested to know others' thoughts on the plots below (NB: these show the original map in blue and the MSL map in red), as the peak torque figures aren't really higher than others I've seen with MSL stage 1 (AMGeed Roger and a guy on Pistonheads), but the car holds higher torque for longer above 4k rpm, resulting in higher power. I understand the concern on the M157 is the piston rings at higher power, but I'm not really clear how big that risk is? Does that mean all stage 2 cars are "at risk"?

Saw some great cars there too, including a rare CL600 and a stage 3 supercharged C63 Black Series.

20210203_092816v4.jpg

20210203_141625v2.jpg

Sorry moderators, perhaps should have been posted in performance lounge?!

Nice figures Rich:thumb: 734bhp at the crank is close to Stage 2 remap figures. Its a lot more than mine is mapped to.
Have you found you can use the torque more now you have the Quaife?

The M157 remapped problems occur when the car misfires, which can bend the conrod. The design of the con rod at the piston end is a weak point.

Acid is indeed a top man and always makes sure you are happy with the results.
Did you get the resonator removed?

Enjoy your new found power:banana:

Nuff about the bhp. That torque is mad. 1060Nm. My CLS55 remap gave me 770Nm and it's almost imposible to use except in perfect conditions.

Pretty sure I am most likely the guy off PistonHeads... super happy with my map from Acid as well. How long did the diff take to fit? I think that may be next on my shopping list with a possible resonator delete as well, your car looks lovely and your figures are mega

Attachments

• 1FC83D4F-A77E-41A2-8F17-8B17B8754D78.jpeg
    1FC83D4F-A77E-41A2-8F17-8B17B8754D78.jpeg
    774 KB · Views: 9
Nice figures Rich:thumb: 734bhp at the crank is close to Stage 2 remap figures. Its a lot more than mine is mapped to.
Have you found you can use the torque more now you have the Quaife?

The M157 remapped problems occur when the car misfires, which can bend the conrod. The design of the con rod at the piston end is a weak point.

Acid is indeed a top man and always makes sure you are happy with the results.
Did you get the resonator removed?

Enjoy your new found power:banana:

Yeah they did several runs with data logging to check everything was ok, to get an improved tune. Pretty much custom tune I guess?
Does that mean conrod issues on stage 2 are more likely then?

Still yet to fully test the diff (drive home was busy and very wet). Took for a spin today and impressed with how it puts down the power even though it was slightly damp. Will obviously still spin up to 4th gear if you are too silly with throttle. Will report back when tested better!!

No res delete! Slightly gutted. Spoke to Immy a couple of weeks ago but he can't do it at the moment. And I wasn't patient enough to wait!

Nuff about the bhp. That torque is mad. 1060Nm. My CLS55 remap gave me 770Nm and it's almost imposible to use except in perfect conditions.

Yes the torque is mental. Overtaking is fun. It's surprising how much you can use but you do need to feed in a bit. Looking forward to drier days.

Pretty sure I am most likely the guy off PistonHeads... super happy with my map from Acid as well. How long did the diff take to fit? I think that may be next on my shopping list with a possible resonator delete as well, your car looks lovely and your figures are mega

Hi Carlos, you are! Was looking at your posts and plots recently! Nice car. You were talking about posting some drag times, did you get any?

Diff was probably about 2.5 hours I think.

Does that mean conrod issues on stage 2 are more likely then?

No res delete! Slightly gutted. Spoke to Immy a couple of weeks ago but he can't do it at the moment. And I wasn't patient enough to wait!
Even a stock car can have a misfire issue and have a conrod failure.
Sounds like another visit to Imran is on the cards then. You won't regret it. The downshifts are hilarious.

I was told that the resonator removal can add up to another 15bhp.
I had my map done before the exhaust work so my dyno figures may be reading a little low.

Hi Carlos, you are! Was looking at your posts and plots recently! Nice car. You were talking about posting some drag times, did you get any?

Diff was probably about 2.5 hours I think.
Ah right that’s nowhere near as long as I thought, I was under the impression they needed a full day to fit the diff. I have quite a few Dragy times etc but I really want to try and do one of the runway type of events if I can just to keep the throttle open for much longer than you can on the public road!

Ah right that’s nowhere near as long as I thought, I was under the impression they needed a full day to fit the diff. I have quite a few Dragy times etc but I really want to try and do one of the runway type of events if I can just to keep the throttle open for much longer than you can on the public road!
The quaife diff is fitted into the housing by another company, then MSL fit to the car. If you want to use the diff housing from your car, I think they need for 2-3 days.

Interested to know what your 0-100mph and 1/4 mile times are with the tune. Or even 0-60. (Not into drag timing myself but good to see how the car compares... and love a stat!)

Even a stock car can have a misfire issue and have a conrod failure.
Sounds like another visit to Imran is on the cards then. You won't regret it. The downshifts are hilarious.

I was told that the resonator removal can add up to another 15bhp.
I had my map done before the exhaust work so my dyno figures may be reading a little low.

Yeah I was looking forward to the downshifts. Good excuse for another trip though!

Re. Conrods, I was just trying to work out how worried I should be running that power!

The quaife diff is fitted into the housing by another company, then MSL fit to the car. If you want to use the diff housing from your car, I think they need for 2-3 days.

Interested to know what your 0-100mph and 1/4 mile times are with the tune. Or even 0-60. (Not into drag timing myself but good to see how the car compares... and love a stat!)
Ah right ok that makes more sense, I have mostly got rolling figures to be honest... the common ones are 100-200kmh and 60-130mph

Attachments

• F1E43486-0C8D-48DC-BA53-87181A5E43FB.png
    F1E43486-0C8D-48DC-BA53-87181A5E43FB.png
    509.7 KB · Views: 15
  • D91AAD88-9F7B-4ECB-B0B4-A10C362F9A15.png
    D91AAD88-9F7B-4ECB-B0B4-A10C362F9A15.png
    488.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DF35CC6C-DEF7-4204-9105-1C802108EB4E.png
    DF35CC6C-DEF7-4204-9105-1C802108EB4E.png
    491 KB · Views: 14
  • C0623E71-754C-4C35-8460-21878524167E.png
    C0623E71-754C-4C35-8460-21878524167E.png
    493 KB · Views: 15
Yes the torque is mental. Overtaking is fun. It's surprising how much you can use but you do need to feed in a bit. Looking forward to drier days.
I find you need lots of road for a full bore pass on B roads. The car suddenly feels very wide when it's getting the full fat and the car in front is getting the full joy of the AMG pipes.

Thanks for sharing those Dragy times Carlos. Impressive times. Especially the 100kmph - X times, probably the cars strongest point.

I find you need lots of road for a full bore pass on B roads. The car suddenly feels very wide when it's getting the full fat and the car in front is getting the full joy of the AMG pipes.
Ha, yes! Quite a few wide A roads near me that the car's probably more suited to, but perhaps give a little less of an adrenaline shot than when on full B road boost!

The higher speed stuff is bonkers considering it’s a big estate really. It has definitely surprised a few people and you are running even more power and a little more torque than me

Ok, I am going to be the troll / mood hoover / kill joy and accept the consequences of it.

Was driving from Suffolk to Birmingham for a remap "Essential travel" during a national lockdown / world pandemic?

Ok, I am going to be the troll / mood hoover / kill joy and accept the consequences of it.

Was driving from Suffolk to Birmingham for a remap "Essential travel" during a national lockdown / world pandemic?

I was waiting for this comment 😁 The short answer is no, and I hold my hands up. Guilty. I do consider the service work I had done (plug change) essential though as it was overdue.

I did consider hard going. I am basically a hermit: I have not seen anyone for 2 weeks, and will not for another 2 weeks; I live alone; I work from home; I have no neighbours; I get grocery shopping delivered. I believe this mitigates all transmission risk to anyone but myself, so my conscience is clear. I do understand it will divide opinion and respect contrary opinions though 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom