Another New Newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamiewatkins2004

Car
C250
Hi All

Awaiting collection of a preface lift (2010) W204 or is the estate S204 ?

Either way can’t wait to get it and get shot of the Audi. Will miss the Audi but it time to go.

Not had a Merc before so will be asking loads of newbie questions for retrofits..

New sporty front grill is a must as well getting shot of the bonnet star.

Looking for someone to wrap the interior wood trim in the Warwickshire area, so if any one has recommendations it would be appreciated.

I’d also like my music so am wanting an Android 10.5” screen, if anyone has experience with these I’d love to hear more.

Then lastly, new rims... no idea yet what to get.

That lot should keep me busy for a while.

Anyway enough of me, please introduce yourselves

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jamie and welcome.
Get some pictures up and im sure members will come forward with surjections and advice :D

Hi and welcome. Assuming that you are getting a Diesel Estate.
Did you check to see if it has the Piezo injectors.?

If you lift off the plastic cover you will be able to see if the injectors have a return pipe. No return pipe means Piezo.

There will also be a tag on the ECU and if this says solenoid breath a sigh of relief as it indicates you do not have Piezo injectors.

Hi and welcome. Assuming that you are getting a Diesel Estate.
Did you check to see if it has the Piezo injectors.?

If you lift off the plastic cover you will be able to see if the injectors have a return pipe. No return pipe means Piezo.

There will also be a tag on the ECU and if this says solenoid breath a sigh of relief as it indicates you do not have Piezo injectors.

Why what’s the issue with the injectors ?

The piezo injectors were a failure on most cars. They were replaced with Solenoid injectors in most cases but there are cases where they just refitted piezo injectors again.

These engines can also have a problem with the timing chain.

Have a look at this thread, it will give you an idea

OM651 BlueEfficiency injectors - recall?

Also have a read of this thread

Blue Efficiency injector recall?

Last edited:
^ Jeez, the poor guy hasn't even picked the car up and he is being warned off:D

Welcome to the forum Jamie:thumb:

Better let him know now what to check out before he does pick it up while he is still within the "change of mind time".
Hopefully all will be well but...

The piezo injectors were a failure on most cars. They were replaced with Solenoid injectors in most cases but there are cases where they just refitted piezo injectors again.

These engines can also have a problem with the timing chain.

Have a look at this thread, it will give you an idea

OM651 BlueEfficiency injectors - recall?

Also have a read of this thread

Blue Efficiency injector recall?

@Jamiewatkins2004 I should have added that there are 64 pages in one of the threads that I linked to above.
It will suffice to just read the last five or six pages.

Thanks for the info regarding the injectors, at least I can now check and if not done as it was a recall would Mercedes still have to change them and update the wiring etc ?

What’s the issue with the timing chain ? Any links pls

Glad you told me about the issues as I can pull out if need be.

It’s a 2010, 1 owner with full Mercedes history so hoping everything is in good order but will deffo check.

Thanks again all

I think that you would be unlucky if you got a 2010 car at this stage that had un replaced piezo injectors rather than lucky to get one that was repaired.
Some, and only some were repaired by just replacing the one or two erring injectors with upgraded piezo injectors so that lengthens your odds.
As regards the timing chain. Many, if not most, of these engines are running happily with their present and original chain setup.
It is a single chain and that is a bad idea to start off with.

Have a look at this thread

High mileage problem with the om651 diesel

and have a look at this thread

Hearing worrying things on the 250 diesel engine

and have a look here
OM651 timing chain replacement

I would not hold my breath on Mercedes paying for anything, especially at this late stage

The one I’m getting only has 55k. Nevertheless I was planning on keeping it for a good few years.
What year did merc change the design of the chain?

Has anyone done a poll of problem timing chains ?

OM651 timing chain issues surfaced fairly early in the service life of this engine after its introduction. This compounded by it being single chain and located at the rear of the engine .:( [ allegedly for under bonnet packaging issues linked to safety legislation] The oil change issue is probably corporate bull**** since many early engines exhibiting failure had been serviced according to manufacturer recommendations*.:rolleyes: Several aspects of timing gear components were changed to counteract this but the inherent weakness / disadvantage of the design remains. Not good news for the users of this almost ubiquitous engine in the Mercedes car and van range. Glad you got the problem sorted to your satisfaction.:thumb:

* If I was to guess the most likely cause of premature failure it would be the frequent use of high engine revs. :dk:

Hearing worrying things on the 250 diesel engine
If you look at the posts on the threads you will see that some of the chain problems commenced early on, as did the injector problems so mileage, or lack of mileage is no guarantee that all is well.

I do not know if anybody did a poll on timing chain problems but there are many posters across the various Mb forums who have had problems, so it is safe to say that it is an issue.

The only safe way to modify the problem is by changing to a duplex system and that is improbable, if not impossible or prohibitive cost wise.

have a look at grobers post above.

In the end of the day be savvy when buying. make sure the engine is cold and listen for a few seconds of rattle when it is started.

Open the bonnet, use a thin coin to turn the front clip of the plastic cover to the left, lift the cover and pull it forwards to remove it.

Have a look at the tag on the ecm as previously pointed out and if it says "solenoid" you are ok injector wise.

Apparently some chain problems only show up immediately after an oil change so it may be prudent to insist that the seller does an oil change prior to hand over of the car.

Welcome to the club!

And if your getting rid of your bonnet star, I’d happily grab it off your hands hehehe ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom