Another new project. 450 SLC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunning

MB Enthusiast
Car
800BHP Rothmans 911 / Range Rover / s212
Yesterday I went to a well known Mercedes enthusiast in my area. Was amazed to find he had 40+ Mercedes in a mixture of his garages.

The one I had my eye on was a 1979 450 SLC.

Covered in protective oil (the garage wasn't damp but he is OCD) it needs some work as it's been stood for four years.

So, it is thistle green which is a colour I love and has creamy biscuit velour. 15" alloys, sunroof and so on. The chrome is in good condition too!

No photos as of yet but I'm looking forward to getting it home and cleaning it up!

I absolutely love the slc and I feel it's an appreciating classic!

I love the 107 SLC - better looking than the SL IMHO. Also Thistle green is a great colour.
Can't wait to see the photos

SLC! Fantastic. A totally underrated machine imo and they always looked cool.

Very cool car, looking forward to seeing the pictures.

I love the 107 SLC - better looking than the SL IMHO. Also Thistle green is a great colour.
g.png

Can't wait to see the photos
where I can get it?

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I too am looking forward to getting it home and starting work on it. Photos will be uploaded ASAP!

It will be having 4 new tyres fitted before it comes home as the ones on it aren't in good condition. The plan is to put it in for an MOT pretty much straight away and go from there!

I always liked the SLC and it always baffled me how cheap they were against the SL, I'm looking forward to seeing the photos!

well done.
Always been put off by rot - so cheap though compared to the soft tops.
Nice period colour too

Lovely cars - I had a 1980 one for a long time, Thistle with tan leather, alloys, sunroof, headlamp wash, aircon etc.. It also had self-levelling rear suspension, not sure how many did as it's still the only one I've seen with it.

I sold it nearly 20 years ago, and still have fond memories, although I didn't like the std. steering wheel, so replaced it with a 15" one which I much preferred.

I actually quite liked the simplicity of it compared with the nanny systems/buzzers etc on the new ones. Very under rated cars, enjoy it.

SLC is a lovely car, I'm looking forward to this.

My proudest moment in a Benz so far.....chassis No 100 no less. :)

Last edited:
Here's a sneaky peak of it.

Again a shocking photo from myself! I will update over the next few days with a lot of photos of the whole collection I've got going here. Mainly of the SLC though.

Last edited:
First thing perhaps if contemplating new tyres is to decide whether to move to 15 inch wheels at this point as tyre choice/price may be limited if sticking to 14 inch. It will drink fuel like Father Dougal McGuire and possibly induce you to swear like him as well but you will love it!

grober said:
First thing perhaps if contemplating new tyres is to decide whether to move to 15 inch wheels at this point as tyre choice/price may be limited if sticking to 14 inch. It will drink fuel like Father Dougal McGuire and possibly induce you to swear like him as well but you will love it!

The guy who I bought it off also owns a tyre fitters so he put a whole new set of boots on it included in the deal for me (correct sizes)

I shouldn't imagine it's driven much as my C124 did around 3 miles last year. So hopefully my language will be more in the way of Mrs Doyle.

Bit dusty but I managed to get it running perfectly with a simple service.

Last edited:
Very nice, one of the best colours in my opinion.

Last edited:
http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/gunning3/library/?sort=3&page=1 Hopefully this link works....

A lot of work to do but here's a wash and polish photo. It looks great but needs many hours of work on it to get it to a standard I'd be happy with.

Could someone let me know if the link doesn't work please as I'm unable to tell via my iPad.

Last edited:
Works for me and I like the Rocket III !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom