Another Newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mickw212

Car
E class 250CDI W212/E46 330Ci Cab
Hi all,
Recently bought a w212 E250cdi with 44,000 on it. Seems well looked after FSH etc so hoping for trouble free motoring for a while:). Not new to Mercs as we had a 1998 c180 for 12 years 155,000m until the rust bug became too much which was a shame as it had been a good car. 12 years with BMWs 330d which was awesome but rust bug & old age struck again so it had to go. Looked on here for a while now researching the E250 & found this site helpful so thought id join up & join in. Comments on my car ..pleased with mid 50`s mpg comfort etc.Engine is from a massey Ferguson but i know i should have gone for the e350 after the 330d for smoothness. Head ruled heart on this purchase of cheaper(i hope) running costs?

Hi and welcome .
What you lose on performance and a smoother drive compared with the e350 you will gain on better running costs in a e250. I owned a c250 cdi for a year which I absolutely loved (same engine as yours) but refinement was definitely compromised. I currently own an e220 cdi and I find this more than adequate in today’s motoring world. You shouldn’t find refinement to be an issue as road and wind noise is kept to a minimum in the well sound proofed cabin. Just make sure to regularly follow the maintenance schedules , not forgetting the transmission service which occasionally gets over looked and you should have many years of trouble free motoring. I also recommend using shell V power diesel or BP ultimate . And dont forget diesel mercs like to stretch there legs !! Constantly driven on short journeys could cause issues with DPF. Enjoy !!

Hi and welcome .
What you lose on performance and a smoother drive compared with the e350 you will gain on better running costs in a e250. I owned a c250 cdi for a year which I absolutely loved (same engine as yours) but refinement was definitely compromised. I currently own an e220 cdi and I find this more than adequate in today’s motoring world. You shouldn’t find refinement to be an issue as road and wind noise is kept to a minimum in the well sound proofed cabin. Just make sure to regularly follow the maintenance schedules , not forgetting the transmission service which occasionally gets over looked and you should have many years of trouble free motoring. I also recommend using shell V power diesel or BP ultimate . And dont forget diesel mercs like to stretch there legs !! Constantly driven on short journeys could cause issues with DPF. Enjoy !!
Hi Woody,
Cheers for the welcome!
No worries on it stretching its legs journey wise as its a 200 mile round trip to work! Agreed on fuel as i always use V power. When is the gearbox service due as ive seen different opinions & unfortunately my car didnt come with any books. Now on 51k so ive got to ask my Indy about it in the next 10k or so?:thumb:

Hi Woody,
Cheers for the welcome!
No worries on it stretching its legs journey wise as its a 200 mile round trip to work! Agreed on fuel as i always use V power. When is the gearbox service due as ive seen different opinions & unfortunately my car didnt come with any books. Now on 51k so ive got to ask my Indy about it in the next 10k or so?:thumb:

Gearbox service should be done 5 yrs or 77,500 which ever comes first .

Hi Woody,
Cheers for the welcome!

I serviced mine at 44,000 miles, the ATF and magnet were surprisingly very dirty, do it sooner than later is my recommendation.

Depends on the age but you never said in you’re original post. But I think the advise is you get it done whichever comes first. Just because a car has done low miles doesn’t mean to say you shouldn’t get the gearbox serviced just depends on the age. And surely it can’t be a bad thing getting it done slightly earlier 👍

Welcome.

See:

And more specifically:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom