Another non Merc new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugblatter

Car
2005 Jaguar X Type 2.0D SE
It's not a Merc but it looks very nice on my drive! :cool:

Attachments

• A5 SYT smaller.JPG
    A5 SYT smaller.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Thanks. I have replaced the original image as it was a bit too compressed!

Oh, and it's a diesel by the way.

Last edited:
Good luck with the very nice looking car.

Happy motoring,
John

Very nice motor, considered one of these before i purcahsed my present motor. I believe they are a ford underneath that posh exterior...my friend is an engineer at Ford !
Pete

Friend of mine has one, he told me the first thing anyone says about the car is the above :D Nice car though :bannana:

petef said:
Very nice motor, considered one of these before i purcahsed my present motor. I believe they are a ford underneath that posh exterior...my friend is an engineer at Ford !
Pete

You are right. Jaguar (along with Volvo & Aston Martin) are part of Ford & the X Type is based on the Mondeo platform. The Mondeo is a good car so I have no problem with that. Reliability is good these days compared with the joke situation some years ago before Ford took over.

Ford reliability is much better than Mercedes anyway, fleet love them.

Glideman said:
Ford reliability is much better than Mercedes anyway, fleet love them.

I think that is far to much of a generalization. Modern vehicles should be reliable. A Ford Mondeo is an excellent car, Jaguar appears to be attracting more custmers, and all is well with the World.

Mercedes-Benz are supplying Police Forces with a lot of S211 320CDI Avantgarde motor vehicles. The Police certainly would not be buying them if they were unreliable (just the opposite) V class and Sprinters are the back bone of the fleet industry and they generally have the 220CDI engine (emergency service Sprinters sometimes go up to the 270CDI)
Glideman said:
Mercedes-Benz reliability is much better than Ford's anyway, fleet love them.
:eek: :eek: Sorry about that ;)

I am not knocking Ford, nor praising Mercedes-Benz, I am merely saying each to their own. One of our neighbour's has just got rid of an Audi Quarttro because of mechanical problems and traded it in for a Jaguar. Does that mean all Audi's are plagued with problems? Of course not.

If Ford had not taken Jaguar under their corporate wing then that famous mark would have simply died a very slow death.

Good luck to everyone that is replacing their Mercedes-Benz with a different marque.

John

Problems always seem more widespread when you read on Forums for any particular make. As people will generally only post about problems bad news poor service etc.

Poeple dont post every day to say woo hoo my car is fine all good dealer service brilliant today :bannana: :D

Oh and a dam fine looking car you have :cool:

John - I agree and those Police E320s look awesome driving through town.. Almost worth joining the local Constabulary!!

I love my Mercedes and have had no probs, with none expected. Quality and reliability are very subjective, but my previous car was a Peugeot 206CC and it rattled, sounded like a tin can and the dealers were utter ar$eholes. Buying a Mercedes was a whole different experience and exceeded expectations for not a great deal more money. Just need to save for a CLK in a couple years!!

Mercedes-Benz are supplying Police Forces with a lot of S211 320CDI Avantgarde motor vehicles. The Police certainly would not be buying them if they were unreliable (just the opposite)

The police used to use ML's up to 12 months ago in Lancashire; they were so unreliable they went back to Range Rover & BMW X5's. Mercedes have got problems with reliability on a lot of their vehicles; they also have a lot of serious rust problems too which other makers including VW / Audi etc sorted out years ago. Don’t get me wrong I do still love my car but I am also a realist and do see the problems.

Car maker can only trade for so long on past reputation before people start voting with their feet and money. Fords Mondeo and Focus are coming out on top of Mercedes more and more these days in reliability and performance / handling tests / fuel economy / power for size of engine etc.

I did see that Avon and Somerset Police also have a few MLs and I remember thinking they'll be back at the garage soon enough!!!

Your right mercedes and bmw rely on customers buying from them just because of the name and put no effort in. Most of the salesman are quite snooty , and service staff are either rude or just dont smile ( and before anyone comes running to their defence i am sure there are some odd ones out there that provide good service ).They sneer if you question massive bills, and seem to get great pleasure from doing so.This information is not just my opinion, reading posts on this site reading car magazines , watching motoring programmes. and press reports confirm this. I think they have some real work to do. But whilst people defend them to the hilt then expect no more than the above......i mean what makes me snigger more than anything is that if these sales / service staff were anyone they wouldnt be sellin cars or workin in a service dept !!! ....and customers suck up to them !!!! :mad: :mad:

petef said:
Your right mercedes and bmw rely on customers buying from them just because of the name and put no effort in. Most of the salesman are quite snooty , and service staff are either rude or just dont smile ( and before anyone comes running to their defence i am sure there are some odd ones out there that provide good service ).They sneer if you question massive bills, and seem to get great pleasure from doing so.This information is not just my opinion, reading posts on this site reading car magazines , watching motoring programmes. and press reports confirm this. I think they have some real work to do. But whilst people defend them to the hilt then expect no more than the above......i mean what makes me snigger more than anything is that if these sales / service staff were anyone they wouldnt be sellin cars or workin in a service dept !!! ....and customers suck up to them !!!! :mad: :mad:

Hi Pete,
You have a right to your opinion, and a right to express it, but what puzzles me is why are you here?

What are you saying about those of us that are pleased with the car, pleased with the service and very happy to remain loyal customers?

It is silly to say we are the minority, because if you were to read these posts with an open mind and not go looking for answers that suit your cause then you will see that you are perhaps not being that fair.

I suggest you go onto other motoring forums and snigger at all the folks there that complain of the exact points you have raised here, there are forums for every manufacturer and all have subscribers that log on purely to complain, (and a good thing to)

Of course there will be people that complain, give someone a free radio and they will complain about the colour, give someone a free repair outside of a warranty and they will complain. However I do except there are instances of poor service and folks should put in writing their grievances (not e-mail) that way things will improve.

Yes Mercedes-Benz had a problem with the electronics of the 211, but by crikey they bent over backwards resolving these issues, and hopefully they are now history. We laugh at the amount of so called upgrades that have been carried out on the vehicle, but you tell me what manufacturer uprades a system to enable it to play Mp3's for free? All these upgrades are there to improve a car that is already an excellent vehicle. Most manufacturers will store all these so called upgrades and then periodically release a new model of the vehicle making those that bought the earlier version feeling envious, not so with the 211. These upgrades are installed free of charge and if necessary a courtesy car given to the customer whilst these modifications are installed.

Again I will throw out the challenge, you tell me of another manufacturer that offers a free thirty year warranty against simply break-downs both in this country and Europe, plus of course the corrosion cover. Of course this is tied in to the owner getting the vehicle serviced at a main dealer, but how frequent are the service intervals and how much does breakdown cover cost per year? Then if you could get it, how much would an anti-corrision warranty cost per year to cover the vehicle for thirty years?

I suppose you class me as someone who blindly supports MB no matter how poor the service, well trust me when I say that assumption is way off the mark. I merely treat everyone how I would like them to treat me, that atitude has stood me in good stead for many, many years.

So, instead of only reading those posts that criticize, take off your biased blinkers and read all the posts, both good and bad, encourage those that have suffered bad experiences to write LETTERS of complaint, and perhaps be like me..... write to your dealer when you experience just the opposite (I'm letting out my secrets here on getting good service)

John
The blinkered

I had my last service done at an independant and informed my dealer that it was due to the huge difference in labour rates, they said they understood, and would be there to assist me in the future should I need them. Well, last week i posted on this forum for guidance on how to fit the passenger blinds to my car, but no one was able to help, so I asked the dealer if they could get a copy of the fitting instructions for me. I was asked to drop in the next day which I did, and they asked for my car for half an hour. When it was returned the blinds were fitted and I had no bill. Now that is service from the old school. I have a BMW bike and you dont get that from BMW dealers. So well done Pentagon Mercedes in Portsmouth.

Pietre said:
So well done Pentagon Mercedes in Portsmouth.

I rest my case.

Your from the South, I'm from the South-West, there have been a number of complementary posts from 'up North' plus also Scotland. If memory serves me well there have also been good things said about the eastern side of the country!!

So lets accept that we are all not living in a bubble and 'sucking up' to the sales and service departments.

There is more than one dealer in the South-West and one of our very much respected members would not perhaps agree with my glowing remarks about just one of these dealerships :)

John

John, i was waiting for a post like yours in response ..and i got one !!!...Firstly i am a member of several car forums as i enjoy cars..i didnt know i had to agree with everyone on this forum to be a member ???? I like a good debate, a good discussion, banter etc, it makes the world go round.... When another member of the forum made remarks with regards to my presence on this site i advised him that from my experience of mercedes ownership i liked to give a balanced and honest view to perspective purchasers of mercedes........ I am sorry if this doesnt fall in line with the attitudes of some particular members on this site..... I have an opinion, it maybe different from yours and some other members but there is no need for such a defensive response to my post ...........and hear i remain !!!.. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom