Another Nurburgring Mission (June 12-14)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Hi All,

Just thought I would let you know - Bend and I are heading back to the ring again, but we're doing it on the cheap and thought that some of you may be interested. A friend is coming all the way from Australia to do a couple of laps with us. :)

We're going with Ryanair from Stanstead to Frankfurt Hahn on the first flight out Sunday 12th June, and returning around 6pm on Tuesday 14th June. Total cost of return airfare is £31 per person.

Track is open all day Sunday, Monday afternoon and we're planning to take it easy Tuesday and maybe do some shopping.

Rooms at the Dorint Nurburgring at the F1 track are only about £103 per room for the period.

We're renting a car each from the airport - perhaps a Smart Roadster, or a BMW 1 Series which should make for a fun grand prix style event! Looks like about £220 to rent a 1 Series or an Audi A3.

Anyone keen? Saves wear and tear on the cars and the drive across.

clashes with Clumber :( boo

I was thinking about what to rent for this trip.... Originally we wanted to hire a couple of Porsche 911s, but Avis require a Diner's Club or an American Express card. :-(

Looking around some more, we were tempted by Smart Roadsters, BMW 116s, Audi A3s, VW Golfs or similar. The idea being that all four of us would rent a car and we'd have the appropriate grand prix event....

So anyway, I am looking on www.europcar.com today and managed to find an available S320CDI at Hahn airport for the duration of the trip. A few moments later, as I was working my way down the list, something far more impressive appeared.......

The S500L !!!!!

3 days for £264.00 prepaid. Needless to say I booked it immediately without thought for the others' choice. Let them try and catch me.

:bannana::bannana::bannana:

This could make for an interesting souvenir DVD!

Last edited:
Just don't prang it at the Ring ........ :crazy:

S500L or similar ..... hope you get what you have ordererd ;)

Sounds like a right laugh though ... !

I have got to see the video from this trip! Take care.

As expected - Europcar have advised that the S500 is unavailable.

They offered a C200 to which I said no, strictly because it was too expensive. Managed to find a C220CDI through Avis for £123.

Let's see how we go now.

Have a great time Scott :rock:

Take care, but try and get into this list.

7.52 - SLR
8.06 - SL55
8.20 - RS6
8.22 - C55

(but don't bend anything).

Hahhahah! Now there's a challenge for a C220CDI

scotth_uk said:
Hahhahah! Now there's a challenge for a C220CDI
Another challenge is to beat Jeremy Clarkson's 9:59 is a diesel Jaguar....
(surely not too difficult.)

Last edited:
We've ended up with 1 x 318ci, 1 x 320i, 1 x Audi A6 3.0 Quattro.

Amazing fun here - the weather is awesome and I have finally learned to drive completely sideways, much to the amusement of the spectators.

I have a new found respect for the BMW's - complete lack of power but the handling is excellent. The Quattro is very fast and is embarassing a lot of faster cars here. I had a pedal yesterday and got under a few lotus elises and even two porsche 911s in corners.

We've got the most amazing view of the GP track from our rooms and there is a bike event on - looks like training.....

wow! sounds great - but not a patch on Clumber :p

Have fun - stay safe! ;)

It appears that I can get a heavy diesel saloon around the ring about 45 seconds faster than Clarkson. ;-)

well done you :rock: - but you are a bit of a veteran on the ring ;) ;)

Great pics, sounds like you are having a great time.

But, carefull now Scott...

Ben Lovejoy will tell you timing your laps is the quickest way to an accident.....or worse.

That's not xbox grass and the armco is not far away!

05NurburgringJune109Medium-vi.jpg

:) Luckily I wasn't at the wheel for that particular lap. That's my mate Anthony who came all the way from Australia. I was holding the camera!!!

Top few days, and I think we're taking a more relaxed approach to it all. My last lap was about 15 minutes with a carload of people driving around doing about 50mph enjoying the scenery.

[edit:] I will add the mpeg "nearlies" later. Some truly brown trouser moments.

Looks great Scott. Good lap time too! How did it compare to when you ran the Crossfire?

I love track driving but all those bikes on the ring scares the **** out of me - I'm sure I'd end up taking one out :crazy:

The monstrosity in picture 35 looks like its got BMW current 7 series headlights .......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom