Another one bites the dust...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Ed

Car
BMW X5 4.8is
Well, as of this afternoon, I am no longer a Mercedes owner after my C280 was collected by a private buyer.:( This actually leaves me car-less for the first time in 14 years, whilst I wait about 2 weeks until my new BMW M3 is delivered.

Despite my temporary defection from the brand, I hope that no-one minds if I still look in on here to keep informed on 3-pointed-star matters, since although I am no longer a Mercedes owner, I do still believe it is the best marque out there - I just wanted something different this time round :crazy:

Enjoys your Mercs everyone - I'm really missing mine already!

Hope the BMW comes on time!

Stick around dude.

Yeah, please stick around. I'd be interested in hearing a review on the M3 once you've had it a few weeks. (You may have to PM it to me though, incase a flame war breaks out! :D :D )

Stay dude .. i would if i bought a BMW...

Thanks guys.

Nice to know that I won't become an outcast!! Will gladly post a review on the M3 once I've had it for a bit (was actually thinking a while back that a review section for the site might be a good idea - maybe could learn quite a lot about ownership experiences that you wouldn't realise during the test drive?)

At the risk of getting my car egged, I had even thought about being cheeky and trying to turn up at the summer GTG - although a BM might look out of place, I'd be keen to meet you guys and your motors!

Please remember - I'm not a BMW driver, just a MB driver who's temporarily lost!!

Cheers.

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Don't worry, I 'm sure you are welcome at the GTG, I'd love to see the car. Give the BRABUS and Kleemann bods something to compare with. I might even sneak my mate along in his BMW, as I gate crashed a BMW meet the other week! He'll have to park up the road though :D

Speaking only for myself here, but yes please do come along to the Summer GTG! Would love to have a ride in your new motor ! :D :cool:

I'd love to see it too. Make sure you've run it in by then!

Cool,

I'll put my name down on the list.

Matt - no problem, free rides available to all (and it will be nicely run in by that point:D ) - would be really keen to have a look at your CL - those do look damn nice!

Not sure that I'll be doing too many launch controls though....

Originally posted by fuzzer
The M3 has a launch control ? :eek:

Oh yes.

Can you imagine MB ever fitting that? The company that has some models starting in 2nd gear FFS LOL

Lol the launch control rules! You can use it for up to 5 times or something and then the service indicator comes on: new clutch required, no joke!

Ill hang off till they do an auto:D :bannana:
I thought the sequential manual tranny was the closest the M3 got to an auto?

im too lazy ... if it involves moving something other than the steering wheel , its too much work ...:bannana:

im too lazy ... if it involves moving something other than the steering wheel , its too much work ...:bannana:
yeah, besides which, wtf do we know about what gear the car should be in? MB spent millions developing the best auto trannies in the business, I'm gonna leave it to the experts thanks :)

The SMG (Sequential manual paddleshift gearbox thingy) does have an auto mode, for those of us not used to having to change gear, but to be honest it's pretty ropey as an auto - smooth changes are not really on the menu!

The paddles, on the other hand are great fun, whatever Jeremy Clarkson reckons - I've had 5 test drives in M3's by now - 3 in a SMG, 2 in a manual - and I have chosen the SMG (means I don't have to learn how to control a clutch again!)

Shude is spot on with the launch control - with the old SMG, if you used it a set number of times, it was game over for any warranty on your clutch / gearbox / etc. With the new one, they have not defined a number of times you can use it, but do state it causes premature wear that might not be covered. The ECU logs how often you use it, so I'll have to try and remember this!!

Apparently, there are 2 modes to launch control - one to get you off the line as quick as poss, the other is for something known as a 'burn-out' :devil: - don't know if they're referring to the tyres or the clutch on this one!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom