Another one of those days!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricky s

MB Enthusiast
Car
cars
I dropped the wife off at the station first thing, went to the wholesalers to collect materials for todays works, popped into cafe for quick sandwich, and onto todays job. Whilst liasing with the client, asked my guy to bring my tools and drills in, he came back with 'where have you left them'! true enouigh, my vans been raided overnight, best part of £2K I just felt sick. So have not done any work today, spent the best part of the day sorting all that out.
The thing thats puzzeling me, is I know I locked the van, 100%, but theres no sign of forced entry, but the tools are gone. But I did faintly think something was not quite right, on unlocking first thing, the indiacators flashed as normal, but I did not hear the central locking release, I just thought I had not heard the locking, and dissmissed it as me not hearing too good, but not as it seems.

Any of you guys any thoughts to how they could of have gained entry. Its a Ford Transit van, with no side glass panels, and to access the stolen kit, the sliding side door would have to be opened. I keep thinking they must have had a key, is that possible or am I grasping at straws here.

If you locked it remotely and someone unlocked it with a key the alarm would go off,perhaps you did not lock it after all,or you were victim to a thief with one of those devices that can capture your remote frequency.was anyone hovering around when you locked up?
Just realised someone might have a duplicate key so they could have unlocked it remotely.might be worth installing an additional alarm on the doors Bast*rds!

Last edited:
If you locked it remotely and someone unlocked it with a key the alarm would go off,perhaps you did not lock it after all,or you were victim to a thief with one of those devices that can capture your remote frequency.was anyone hovering around when you locked up?

Hi Martyz, i keep questioning myself, did I lock it, but I am 100% I did, I have a ritual and walk round the van when I finally get parked up. I must confess I really paid no attention to who or what was about that evening, so its a possibilty. Theres some extra security on there now (as your editited comment), (I know horse has bolted senario), so fingers crossed I or anyone else wont suffer this situation. Its just an absolute pain dealing with it all.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Sorry to read this Ricky. I hate crime, even petty crime as the Police will no doubt brand this.

What trade are you in? I've been speaking to a few carpenters lately and they all say 2013 has started off well - I hope the same is for you.

Last edited:
Sorry to read this Ricky. I hate crime, even petty crime as the Police will no doubt brand this.

What trade are you in? I've been speaking to a few carpenters lately and they all sat 2013 has started off well - I hope the same is for you.

Thanks Will, electrical Contractor for my sins, yes very busy, but things like this just put you off my stride, and the worry for me, given Martyz thought, is if they have a cloned key, whatever security I put on the van is going to be voided, but have decamped the van of valuables and blocked it in, for now, so hopefully it will be the end of it for now. The future, uhm, thats a thought!

Ah that sucks Ricky :( Did they take your hand tools too? or just the drills.

If the sliding door on my old transit wasn't fully slammed shut and you pressed the keyfob to lock it the indicators would flash and i'd hear the noise of it locking but it never did.

Ah that sucks Ricky :( Did they take your hand tools too? or just the drills.

If the sliding door on my old transit wasn't fully slammed shut and you pressed the keyfob to lock it the indicators would flash and i'd hear the noise of it locking but it never did.

Hi buddy, weirdly (and a blessing) they left my hand tools, but they were placed ontop of the drill cases, so they had to pick up the tool box, (heavy), put it down, take all the cases, and then they put the tool box back in the van, and closed the door, and I heard nothing.
The main thing I am grateful for in this grief, is I had a bag of meggar test leads in there, along with aload of test results that I had not processed yet, if they had taken that i would have to go back and retest about 8 jobs, fortunatly I have the bag, it was buried under a load of dust sheets.
as for the doors, if any of my van doors are ajar on locking it blasts the horn at me and won't lock till all are closed correctly.

How you getting on with the air source venture, be interested to what you make of it, I do the work for a simaler company, and have yet to be fully convinced, but be great to hear your thoughts on it once installed.

Hi ricky
Sorry to hear about your bad luck mate . Makes you sick decent people trying to work a living and scum bags think they can take it for free .

The same has happend to me twice last year , first time the van was stolen but managed to get it back via the tracking system . Second time they gutted the back of eveything . My company then took the step of have extra dead locks fitted , this seemed to have done the job until one morning somone had decided to knick the cats under the van . Really of aint nailed down lol.

If you need anything just let me know i may be able to help .

Hi ricky
Sorry to hear about your bad luck mate . Makes you sick decent people trying to work a living and scum bags think they can take it for free .

The same has happend to me twice last year , first time the van was stolen but managed to get it back via the tracking system . Second time they gutted the back of eveything . My company then took the step of have extra dead locks fitted , this seemed to have done the job until one morning somone had decided to knick the cats under the van . Really of aint nailed down lol.

If you need anything just let me know i may be able to help .

Thanks Matty, good of you. Yes been a bit of a bummer of a day, but thats life. Long time no see my friend, will we see you at Pauls Eurocharged event or the possible german Vmax event in your M, be great to catch up think last time I saw you was Trax 2011, Looonng time aaggo.

Hi Ricky sorry to hear of your trouble. You have a PM.

Yer same ricky . Will defo catch up some point this year . Im hopeing to get a jerry tune , it seems to good to miss out on so i hope to see you then .

transits are really easy to get into without keys, its happened to loads of vans round my way, google is your friend.

They usually leave hand tools as power tools are easier to move on. My van got done over in a travel inn, they left my hand tools but used my screwdrivers to get into other vans!!!!! Went round pulling them out of door locks.

As for my heat pump all was going well until i got a price to pipe it all up from the plumber and it sent me way over budget!!! I'll be long gone before it starts to pay for itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom