Another plea for aid for Africa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From the BBC
To some mothers, the weak, malnourished child has become a burden and they are prepared to let it die - a sacrifice in order to save their other children.

When we gave food to their parents in the 1980s we took responsibility for their continued welfare. Having fed the parent when the country was not fit to support them we are obliged to assist their children having directly put them into that life.

I think it is the only moral choice.

From the BBC
To some mothers, the weak, malnourished child has become a burden and they are prepared to let it die - a sacrifice in order to save their other children.

When we gave food to their parents in the 1980s we took responsibility for their continued welfare. Having fed the parent when the country was not fit to support them we are obliged to assist their children having directly put them into that life.

you make an excellent point

From the BBC

It's a very valid point, but where does it end?

My generation didn't donate to Africa in the 80s, so would it still be classed as the moral choice for us?

I'd argue the complete opposite.

Moreover the aid that is sent is immaterial in the grand scale of things. The media give the impression that everything in Africa is either fat corrupt governments or refugee camps. It's not. There are ordinary people living ordinary lives and raising ordinary families in between those extreme poles.

For all of the famine (I can remember Ethiopia appeals in the 70s) the population in Ethiopia has more than doubled since then. So what's up with tha? Clearly there resources to feed those people or they wouldn't be multiplying.

The real problem with Africa is cultural. The culture doesn't support a modern competitive economy. Business and investment don't work so well because of that. The population growth means that it's an upward struggle over and above that problem to keep per-capita GDP standing still let alone improving it.

The last 40 years hasn't fixed anything and maybe has the unintended consequence of making things worse - relatively.

where does it end?

I know, it looks stupid. But I want to trust people to do the best for themselves and their communities in the long term. Intervening in their lives through force of arms feels arrogant to me. Even though I would dearly love to kick the ****s of the elites/extremists/tribalists/religionists// that have trashed their own countries.

I don't wish to offend here but I think we are feeding the birds in winter. It is a simple kindness, but it may in the long term undercut the natural balance, it is easy, cheap (cheep) and we gain pretty things in our gardens. Being kind is the reward in itself.

Unfortunately we are also perpetuating a population that is out of kilter with its environment. I think we have a responsibility, because they are fellow humans and we have supported them before, to keep trying while they sort themselves out.

So I don't know where it ends, it is our choice now. I will drop in a few quid and hope for the best. I wouldn't blame someone who gave up and walked away. I suppose it is down to your basic level of optimism.

Dryce - I am not disagreeing with your analysis.

I just want to help.

WE seem to be forgetting that this current disaster is due to a drought over a massive area resulting in a lack of crops to feed the people. The worse drought to hit the Horn of Africa in 60 years is reported.

Giving to charity is by definition giving to those who need, many UK charities are set up to give to those who want. There is a vast difference between the two.

Yes oldcro I agree there is a qualitative difference, I find I am not so concerned with the church raffle for some pretty lead-windows. It is nice when you pop in for the flower festival but it isn't exactly life-changing for anyone.

My mother and father got free milk and lunch when at school.

Now my father has beeen made redundant, my mother injured at work and unable to work again, they have lost their house, pension, car and most of of their possessions.

Can we help them now too, you see, when they asked for help they got turned away.

Giving to charity is by definition giving to those who need, many UK charities are set up to give to those who want. There is a vast difference between the two.

Which many UK charities are you referring to?

Or would it be quicker to list the good ones if there are too many that are just wanting instead of needing?

Now my father has been made redundant, my mother injured at work and unable to work again, they have lost their house, pension, car and most of of their possessions.

Can we help them now too, you see, when they asked for help they got turned away.

I am sorry to hear of your family difficulty. I do think there is a difference though. The people in the horn of Africa have no-one to turn to. In the last resort we will all help your parents through state pensions/benefits/welfare and housing association provision, it won't be particularly generous but it will prevent them starving on the streets. It isn't even charity, it is their right. And long may it remain so.

Now my father has beeen made redundant, my mother injured at work and unable to work again, they have lost their house, pension, car and most of of their possessions.

I am most sorry to hear that. Have they sought any advice - my father has encountered many cases like this at the CAB and often the local authority / social services are in error in their approach.

I am most sorry to hear that. Have they sought any advice - my father has encountered many cases like this at the CAB and often the local authority / social services are in error in their approach.

Thank you Charles, I pay into a group legal scheme and am waiting their advice at the moment, though it does seem that it is base line from here.

Off topic I know, but they have put in and paid so much for this country, and at a time when they need it (both over 60 and unwell), having just enough to survive does not seem right.

Off topic I know, but they have put in and paid so much for this country, and at a time when they need it (both over 60 and unwell), having just enough to survive does not seem right.

Reading that story about your parents makes my blood boil. :mad:

The system won't help people that have actually paid in, they'd rather keep giving billions in aid to 'countries in need'. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I feel for you pal.:(

Heres a question,can anybody,name an African leader,of the last 50 years that was any good,whether it be honest good or leader good or financial good. No neither can I,except perhaps Mandella.

Heres a question,can anybody,name an African leader,of the last 50 years that was any good,whether it be honest good or leader good or financial good. No neither can I,except perhaps Mandella.

and his legacy is?

WE seem to be forgetting that this current disaster is due to a drought over a massive area resulting in a lack of crops to feed the people.

It's due to poverty and war (or political instability).

Without the those the drought would only be causing economic hardship and not starvation.

My take on this whole issue, it will cost someone but I am sure will benefit us all in the future. The UK currently get its gas from Russia via a pipeline, so put a pipe line into the area carrying water, there is lots of water in other area of the African continent. The people will then be able to farm more productively and the resultant growing of crops will reduce carbon in the atmosphere. It is not a thing any single country could carry out, but maybe something the world needs to sort. Maybe a very simplistic view and one which will never happen as there will be no monetry gain:(

i feel for any that are in poverty, but i also feel that we should put our own house in order , so we can stand and be counted. then our efforts could go where it is needed most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom