Another plea for aid for Africa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
thats nice of him to organise that, should make a few quid

if it makes £500 he then gives £500 to the relevant charity, how much of that gets to the people who need it?

like in the uk many top charities have massive overheads so did i read that 70% went to cover them before the last 30% went to help people

if it makes £500 he then gives £500 to the relevant charity, how much of that gets to the people who need it?

like in the uk many top charities have massive overheads so did i read that 70% went to cover them before the last 30% went to help people

Better 30% than nothing.

Is it easier for everyone to just make "facts" up as you go along? We're sitting behind one of the most powerful research tools ever invented. Charities publish accounts. Facts are written in newspapers, reports issued by non governmental organisations as well as by governments. Yet people just post tosh. You read? Where? Which charity?

Just at random; Christian aid. March 2010 accounts. Total income £104.6m. Total expenditure £95.9m, cost of governance £0.8m, cost of fundraisaing 15.4m, direct charitable expenditure 79.7m

http://www.christianaid.org.uk/images/annual-report-200910.pdf

And whilst you're at it go have a look at poverty in sub saharan Africa. Poverty is rising, unlike the rest of the world where it is mostly falling; 45% of the 730 million inhabitants of Sub Saharan Africa live below an income of $1 per day. No wonder that when the rain fails people start to die wholesale.

its all gods plan so it will all be ok when they get the hevan (my spell checker seems to think its spelt haven)

it was a piece on how much they spend on street cllectors that were getting £18 an hour

dont overly care as ive dealt with charities a lot in my first 20 years and saw them as a bunch of morons with traffic warden syndrome

any idea how hard it is to get funding for a wheelchair for a 40 year old male, not black, not gay, not lesbian, not a criminal, not a junkie, not a god botherer, not a sponger, basically i can get about £500 towards a £3,000 chair once every 4 years if im lucky, i tried the old "im a gay, african, junkie, criminal" line and got no where

The charity accounts are a surprise to me. Admittedly I am not that jaundiced that I expected them to be so bad they needed investigation.

So 800.000 to administer 80.000.000 is 1:100 or one percent. Which I think is pretty outstanding. 15% spent on fund-raising is less than I expected too.

I think someone with an agenda must have been sowing misinformation for us to be surprised by these figures.

What sort of motivation is more speculative. My first thought is something racist put about by the BNP or similar, trying to sow cynicism and disillusionment, poisoning the less well informed world view.

I don't know. It is interesting though. (to me)

Sprinter - Thanks for the accounts.

I promised myself that I wouldn't get involved in a slanging match about this because to most people charity donations are a personal thing.

Agreed, and I don't think we have. I think we are both happy to agree to disagree.

Now...back to cars!

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but many of us must have been interested to read that foreign aid to Africa is making a difference - Congo president reported to own 16 of the most luxurious houses in Paris.
Any connection with the £133 million aid that the UK gave to the Congo last year is purely coincidental, of course:wallbash:...

I got thinking after this thread started about a more 'practical' contribution. I have my own views and opinions etc. but as a suggestion to a motoring forum how about a few enthusiasts raise a few quid, buy a few essentials and make a direct trip. I know it sonds a bit impossible but there are organised groups that do do this and may give advice or contribute etc.

Just thought.

I just dont understand why so many either refuse to move or aren't moved if the country or certain areas are not fit to sustain life or live in. All they now and all we teach them is to hold out their hands or die. That's not living.

Humans evolved and adapted over eons by travel and survival of the fittest (Darwin.)
Sad, but helping them is like keeping animals in captivity.

Put your hand in a bucket of water ( if your reading this in a country that has any).

Wave it, splash it, mess about in it and pull your hand away.
Notice any difference ?

No, and neither would selling your life's work, your heart and your soul to help these people.

I got thinking after this thread started about a more 'practical' contribution. I have my own views and opinions etc. but as a suggestion to a motoring forum how about a few enthusiasts raise a few quid, buy a few essentials and make a direct trip. I know it sonds a bit impossible but there are organised groups that do do this and may give advice or contribute etc.

Just thought.

Sorry, but I would need to know precisely what "practical" help you are considering Clever Dicky...

Building a zoo maybe???

Saw on the news tonight that one year after the floods in Pakistan, despite much Western aid, there are still folk living in tents in dire danger of being inundated in the next rains.

I can't begin to suggest a solutuon other than move to somewhere higher up.

I'm totally lost!

Sorry, but I would need to know precisely what "practical" help you are considering Clever Dicky...

Building a zoo maybe???

Your not sorry. And YOU need to know what I mean. I made an honest valid suggestion for people as yourself that are so eager to help.
I absolutely resent your comment.

What didnt you like? Was it that it was a sincere suggestion to do something to back up your protests, but you don't want to actually get up off your back side, but rather bully others to just hand over money they may not have?

You sir are a bully. What you think and do is up to you, and what I think say and do is up to me, and if you dont agree then read on.

To string my past comments together to intimidate, and make a suggestion like that is sick. I'm surprised you stopped there, unlike one twisted nutter recently who didn't like people's views. For you to suggest I would want to make a zoo out of people is sick and defamatory . Which I find offensive.

I personally dont feel further financial intervention with this persistent problem of draught is the right way to deal with it, and why I make my comment. I don't, nor does anyone. need your pedantic remarks to apply pressure, illicit guilt or ridicule because you don't agree.

^^^ OMG! Quick everyone, come and see this...someone on the internet is wrong!

clever dicky, are you familiar with the phrase, floggin' a dead un? Thread resuscitation aside, your own comment... I personally dont feel further financial intervention with this persistent problem of draught is the right way to deal with it when taken out of context like this, could make it appear that you are espousing a callous viewpoint.

I think that is a false premise, based upon the rest of your posting, but I cannot know for certain. Janner's post (#71) looks to be more than a little disingenuous where only bad things done with contributions were posted as links. I don't know Janner but I am willing to afford Janner the benefit of the doubt because in the clipped shorthand of the internet, it is likely that post #71 was just showing where examples of aid were misused... a point that is on all fours with your own viewpoint that I took out of its context just to illustrate the point I am seeking to make.

If you find it difficult to discuss something in writing, especially with people who appear opposed to your viewpoint, just refrain from writing, or getting fired up or name calling... none of which do you any justice. In general terms, the MB UK forum does appear to be about as civil as these places ever get.

:thumb:

Never in my many years of visiting, working with, sponsoring, and generally supporting East African orphans have I ever heard the sort of disparaging remarks that you expressed in your two utterly dismissive, dispassionate, callous (cruel, even) posts on this Forum. You're entitled to your views but forgive me for not warming to them, or your ideas. I'll say no more than that, but I stand by my posts which I am more than happy to see scrutinised and strung together against me any time...

Well if I was a moderator mate, I would ban you for your comment, not for your opinion.
Sadly I'm not and I take a dim view of those who are for not doing so.

Looking at your previous posts it does seem your just a sad 'stirrer' as little kids might say, to poke someone and start an argument. A rather sad individual I assume who likes to get his own way.

What would you say and how would you feel if someone were to say you only supported africans to have your own private zoo ? EH? Are you suggesting those little african babies are somewhat like monkey's. Is that what you meant by your comment?
Not nice is it.

I dont like the situation out there any more than you, but I'm not after a medal for good causes and I really dont believe sending a few quid in an envelope would make the slightest difference now or next week. So God strike me down !

While I believe your intent is sound and your heart may be in the right place you still cannot say what you did. Irrespective of my own views. And while you might well be a foster parent to baby africans caught in a draught. I dont condemn you for it and neither does anyone, but it doesn't mean we all have to either. What ever YOU might think .

So just shut it, and keep your insulting remarks and opinions about others to yourself and next time i see you on stage next to Bob, I'll give you a clap.
I wont tell you again.

I never knew a zoo could be so offensive....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom