Another portable SatNav question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardM

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 CLS350 CDI
Thinking of changing my iPAQ for a newer model and I also fancy a change with of gps software. My NavMan maps are out of date and it doesn't have features like avoid and post code entering.

So I'm going to buy a nice new bluetooth iPAQ but I'm not sure whether to stick with the current NavMan gps sleeve, buy a bluetooth gps unit, or take the gps feed from the RoadAngel. I'll probably go for the TomTom software.

Is there any disadvantage taking the gps feed from the RoadAngel? What lead will I need? This seems a cheap option and I always have the road angel on. Simon, you did this didn't you? Did it work ok?

Thanks, and I know I'll have to look through pocketgps.co.uk

Road Angel goes straight into the iPAQ with a standard serial to iPAQ sync lead.

You have to enable GPS output using the GPS menu option on the RA

You have to turn this GPS output off before syncing the RA with your PC, or syncing doesn't work

It works 100% fine.

TomTom Navigator 2 is a great package. Nothing bad to say about it.

S.

I use an IPAQ 3970 b/tooth with TomTom2. The GPS feed comes from my tracking system.

My NavMan maps are out of date
Generally very happy and it works well but even though this is the latest version, the maps are still out of date - years out of date, not generally a problem but occasionally annoying.

and it doesn't have features like avoid and post code entering
TomTom2 doesn't have postcode look up either, but it does show the postcode against addresses found so that you can pick the right one. The avoid options are excellent, very handy for picking alternative routes when there's traffic ahead. Finding an addres is generally much easier than it was on TomTom1.

Is there any disadvantage taking the gps feed from the RoadAngel?
Can't answer that one Richard. Mine can be a bit slow picking up the feed when starting from cold - upto 5 minutes but this is almost certainly down to my GPS receiver rather than the software or IPAQ. Seems to go into sleep mode, i.e. if the ignition has been off for an hour or so it can take a while for the GPS to pick up, however, if you've nipped in for petrol the GPS signal picks up the second you turn back on.

Thanks for the response guys, very helpful. Annoying the TomTom maps are out of date too. I drove down to Cheltenham yesterday and a few roads weren't shown on my NavMan!

The NavMan is also very slow at getting a satellite lock, but my Road Angel always seems quick, so hopefully taking the feed from that will work well. This is one of the reason's for moving away from the NavMan sleeve.

RichardM said:
Thanks for the response guys, very helpful. Annoying the TomTom maps are out of date too. I drove down to Cheltenham yesterday and a few roads weren't shown on my NavMan!

The NavMan is also very slow at getting a satellite lock, but my Road Angel always seems quick, so hopefully taking the feed from that will work well. This is one of the reason's for moving away from the NavMan sleeve.
Richard. . .

oops - sorry - forgot to mention something really important . . .

To use the Road Angel, you need a NULL MODEM ADAPTER in between the RA and the Serial Lead, otherwise the iPAQ will not recognise the incoming GPS signal.

Expansys sell them. (9 pin male to 9 pin male). about 50p, I think !

S.

Having a read through pocketgps, it looks like TomTom version 3 is due out in the next couple of weeks. It does suggest people who purchase now will get a free upgrade, but guess I'll wait as I'm in no hurry. I can keep using NavMan for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom