Another Potential Buyer Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparky33

Car
focus
Hi
Sorry for yet another "tell me about the CLS compared to car x" but here goes.
Im looking to get a newer car in the next few weeks and ive narrowed my search to a CLS, A5 Sportback and an XF. Ive ruled out an A4 and Passat CC. Im looking for a 2009 or 2010 plate. The only deal breaker is it must have phone prep. Not sure if this is standard or not on the CLS.
The CLS is my first choice and Jag second. One of my questions is why are the A5 Sportbacks so much more expensive than a CLS and XF in like for like spec? There is over a 3k premium in most cases. I would have thought the CLS and XF would be the most expensive.
Are the running costs that much more on a CLS so it would offset itself over the A5 over a period of time?
Ive searched many threads here with comparisons with the Jag but hardly seen any against an A5.
Could anyone shed some light on the differences between these two mainly. Performance, comfort, mpg, general running costs etc. Id especially like to here from those who have owned both and which one they prefer.

Sorry for the long first post but I only have a few weeks to purchase one so im trying to gather as much info as I can.

Im unliky to be able to test drive all three because of my schedule in the next few weeks and will probably be buying an approved used model from the manufacturer so I can get a manufacturers warranty included.

Thanks for any help.

Sparky

Hello Sparky - you'll get a broad view on here, but I'll start by saying I'd not be looking a A5's.

Not in the same league as CLS/XF, borne out by the lack of comparisons.

The A5's Mercedes competitor is the C-Class coupe, a CLS and XF will be in another league for refinement. My brother owns an A5 2.0T in the proverbial white paintwork and although I do like the look of the outside, the interior feels a bit cheap.

The A5's residuals are most likely down to it being a relatively new model, they always hold their money until years four-five.

This is not very helpful in answering your questions but I don't like any of these cars.

CLS - not ageing well. Get the Grand Edition for decent spec.
XF - play safe and buy German
A5 - it's an Audi and FWD

I would get a 5 series. I know there are lots but they are bloody good. Certainly that against a XF.

Hello Sparky - you'll get a broad view on here, but I'll start by saying I'd not be looking a A5's.

Not in the same league as CLS/XF, borne out by the lack of comparisons.

Cheers. Probably shows nievity on my part as I was purely looking at them as both 4 door coupes.

The A5's Mercedes competitor is the C-Class coupe, a CLS and XF will be in another league for refinement. My brother owns an A5 2.0T in the proverbial white paintwork and although I do like the look of the outside, the interior feels a bit cheap.

The A5's residuals are most likely down to it being a relatively new model, they always hold their money until years four-five.

That makes sense. I was staggered to find how much more the A5's were compared to the CLS and XF which are generally considered more prestigious.

This is not very helpful in answering your questions but I don't like any of these cars.

CLS - not ageing well. Get the Grand Edition for decent spec.
XF - play safe and buy German
A5 - it's an Audi and FWD

I would get a 5 series. I know there are lots but they are bloody good. Certainly that against a XF.

It does help. Im just looking for general opinions. I dont think the CLS is ageing though. I prefer it way more than the new shape. It still always draws my attention, particularly when it has some nice alloys.
I did think of the 5 Series but the interior just seems really bland to me. Nothing special about it. It is a great car though particularly the 535d. I just personally prefer the 3 on my list.

Cheers for the responses guys.

The CLS is an absolute stunner of a car, I would buy one tomorrow if I didn't need five seats. That car really broke the mould.

A very good friend of mine has racked up 30k miles in a 3.0 diesel XF and the car hasn't missed a beat, if you can get over the 'Jaaaag' image, I doubt you'd be disappointed.

B-I-L has also had no issues with his A5 other than munching front tyres.

If nice interiors are a concern, the CLS wins hands down against any of the competitors and makes the already bland BMW interiors seem more so.

The CLS is looking its age especially if it's in Silver for some reason, The BMW has the BMW image, The Audi has the ugliest rear end of any car on the road, which leaves the Jaguar which surprisingly pleases me in the looks department (colour dependent) and i've not heard any bad reports from the friends that own them.

I've owned or driven all these and must admit that what puts me off BMWs most these days is the interiors. In the 3 series especially they seem to have got worse in recent models.

I stopped buying BMs due to poor customer service, but can't muster much interest in going back primarily due to interiors. I would have bought an X6 if it wasn't so dull and generic inside. The latest 6 series does seem to be finally moving forward in this regard though.

I'm more in tune with Audi now over BM but agree that the quality of the A4/5 interiors are overrated as well as being a dull drive with firm ride. Not blown away by the A7 either, much prefer my CLS.

I came very close to buying an XF this time. They are super to drive. The gearbox is ace. Plus I like the looks - although now a bit too common and dated. However again it was the interior that put me off. Initially it looks great if a little dated but the more time I spent in one I realised it was very much a class down on the (new) CLS.

Look for a 2010 grand edition in a darker grey or indium. One with large dished AMG alloys. They look Ab Fab.

I've owned or driven all these and must admit that what puts me off BMWs most these days is the interiors. In the 3 series especially they seem to have got worse in recent models.

I stopped buying BMs due to poor customer service, but can't muster much interest in going back primarily due to interiors. I would have bought an X6 if it wasn't so dull and generic inside. The latest 6 series does seem to be finally moving forward in this regard though.

I think the interior of my 2009 330i coupe was/is leagues ahead of my 2010 c63. Huge difference in the quality of materials. It had functional design with leading technology eg idrive v4 with touch sensitive programmable buttons, sms to car via Google way before others and a hard drive that let you burn anything onto it even from iPods. I like my c63 but it is very plasticky inside. The satnav/comand feels dated and has too many buttons on the controller that are replicated on the dash - why?? The interior of the CLS is so curvy it looks like a 90s interior, like the Maserati Quattroporte.

But hey, you (the OP) need to look at the total package. I'm living with the rubbish c63 interior and focusing on the plus points, for now.

As a package the CLS is the front runner for me. Interior looks great and the car is more unique. Looks amazing on some AMG alloys as mentioned. It seems a bit more aggressive yet subtle and classy still. I think alloys have a really big effect on the XF as well. Ive seen some that make it look a bit meh and ive seen some that make it look simply stunning. The XF S with the skirting and the more agressive front bumper is a cracker. The S may just be slightly out of reach for a fairly low miler for me.
I think when it comes to putting my cash down it will be which ever stealer is willing to give me the most bang for my buck. (Mercs or Jag) My priority will be the CLS though with the XF a close 2nd. Wont be looking at the A5 I dont think.

I think the interior of my 2009 330i coupe was/is leagues ahead of my 2010 c63. Huge difference in the quality of materials. It had functional design with leading technology eg idrive v4 with touch sensitive programmable buttons, sms to car via Google way before others and a hard drive that let you burn anything onto it even from iPods. I like my c63 but it is very plasticky inside. The satnav/comand feels dated and has too many buttons on the controller that are replicated on the dash - why?? The interior of the CLS is so curvy it looks like a 90s interior, like the Maserati Quattroporte.

Good job we all have different tastes!

Can't say I'm a fan of the W204 C Class interiors either.

Also, it's not the actual quality of the BMW dash's that I have a problem with, just the look/style that to me are generic and bland. It's not a bias, I had a new 3, two new 5s, and a new Z4 before I ever bought a Merc.

Still my tastes are a bit unusual, for example I actually like the 'stuck on iPad type screens' in newer Mercs :)

Not a comparison as I have no experience of the other 2, but I have recently purchased a CLS350 Grand Edition. Depends on your budget but these seem to be the best spec cars. The 2009/2010 cars benefited from a later model of Comand which incorporated Bluetooth.
I love my CLS and gets lots of positive comments from friends. Mine's black with cashmere beige, which I thinks still looks modern whilst retaining the CLS's unique appearance.

Not a comparison as I have no experience of the other 2, but I have recently purchased a CLS350 Grand Edition. Depends on your budget but these seem to be the best spec cars. The 2009/2010 cars benefited from a later model of Comand which incorporated Bluetooth.
I love my CLS and gets lots of positive comments from friends. Mine's black with cashmere beige, which I thinks still looks modern whilst retaining the CLS's unique appearance.

The grand edition is my first choice. It has upgrades to the power yet mpg remains the same apparently.
How has the CLS been for you since youve owned it? Any niggles so far?

Anybody have any experience of servicing packages with MB? Could I pay a yearly amount or monthly rate to cover all servicing costs or is the servicing for set items only and anything additional needs paying for separately? Is it worth it if they exist?

sparky33 said:
Anybody have any experience of servicing packages with MB? Could I pay a yearly amount or monthly rate to cover all servicing costs or is the servicing for set items only and anything additional needs paying for separately? Is it worth it if they exist?

Yes you can pay monthly but they don't give much away. You save about 10% on the usual cost and sometimes you can get that discount off a service anyway. It only covers normal service consumables. Brake pads etc would always be extra.

IIRC the only exception to this is better package deals on the new A Class.

I've tried the plans but now prefer to negotiate at service time.

Yes you can pay monthly but they don't give much away. You save about 10% on the usual cost and sometimes you can get that discount off a service anyway. It only covers normal service consumables. Brake pads etc would always be extra.

IIRC the only exception to this is better package deals on the new A Class.

I've tried the plans but now prefer to negotiate at service time.

Thanks for the info. Im trying to find a similar package as we use with our company car scheme with ALD. You pay a fixed monthly sum and that covers everything. I'd ideally like to pay up front for something similar or monthly if I had to.
It doesnt seem like this exists outside of company car schemes.
Its not a deal breaker anyway. Like you said, some negotiating will be required at service times.

Cheers

Have you not considered the e class coupe...seems to fall into the mould of your choices.

Save yourself the cash and find a local recommended MB indie, note there are many on here...:thumb:

Have you not considered the e class coupe...seems to fall into the mould of your choices.

I did initially in the very beginning but whittled it out the equation along with the 5 Series. Great car, I just personally prefer the CLS and XF.

Save yourself the cash and find a local recommended MB indie, note there are many on here...:thumb:

This may have to be an option if I cant get a stealer to play ball in a few weeks time.

Ive been looking at the XF Forum. There appears to be slightly more issues on the XF than the CLS in general but the service packages some mentioned that Jag do seemed really good.
Im pushed slightly more to the CLS although the type of warranty and service package I can get from either company is the deal breaker for me.

To OP - I have just got my first MB ten days ago, a CLS, and I am loving it. Had many different cars over the years which have included BMW, Jag and I can honestly say I am loving the CLS so far. Running costs seem to be low for such a car, MPG of 38 since buying it (mostly town/country roads).

Interior is so comfortable, nice place to be.

Good road manners for such large car.

Niggle, drivers wiper should have been replaced by the garage before being delivered, sure if I had gone back they would have but I replaced it my self (£11 for a champion wiper). If thats all I have found it is not bad as I am a rather fussy person about my cars!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom