Another Quality Part! errr.... ok

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Some of you peeps on here may know my Business is within the Motor Factor side of the automotive world.

I just had to share this item we had supplied by a Very large National Company,

It's a Alternator and Starter motor for a Mercedes Smart MHD Fourtwo.

This unit Starts the car aswel as charging the batteries, But look at the quality! or lack of it...

Originally a Valeo unit, Refurbished somewhere and reboxed by Lucas Electrical.

39085230_10156099940277284_2255539587738763264_n.jpg

39210990_10156099940287284_6438018241397784576_n.jpg

We did initially offer the customer to get his Original unit reconditioned but they couldn't wait the 5 day day turn around, OUr Main Supplier is out of stock so left with little option.

I wonder how much a Original MB unit is.....?

Its certainly getting increasingly difficult to source well made item's.

Some Peugeot/Citroen engine’s use an almost identical unit on their 1.6 eHDi diesels, and they are also ridiculous money. Last couple I had in ended up getting used replacements due to the stupid cost of a new unit.
Their version uses a conventional starter to start from cold, and the alternator starts the car when the stop/start kicks in. They smash the hell out of their auxiliary belts and tensioners, a real bad design.

Hi,
I used to work for Delphi Diesel systems (they took over Lucas Diesel).
The electrical side is still called Lucas and I believe their starters/alternators are remanufactured in Poland, these days.
Ridiculously high markup on these items!
Cheers
Steve

For some years now the automotive aftermarket seems to be in a race to the bottom with regard to quality. Having spent 40 years in bearings/ power transmission sales I am afraid the end user is often supplied pure c**p in boxes which have "house" branding and assume they are buying an oem quality product. All too often they are buying bearings, belts, discs and pads etc which have been sourced from spurious sweatshops , and can often have disastrous consequences. Lost count of the number of failed wheel bearings and brake pads I have seen which were all bought on price only.

Exactly, a mate changed bearings on an Audi A5 last year, bought them from ebay because they were a "great price".

He has to do them again now after 5k miles as they are knackered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom