Another recall. SRPC1836

• Thread starter Deleted member 126969
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 126969

Here we go, another recall. This time for a potentially(!) badly routed unfused battery cable chafing against body structure.

The missus raised an interesting point - why don't we get compensated for the time and fuel we waste with these things? Oh, I know, it's because consumers are idiots and just get in the way of businesses making money.

Great!
I haven't had my last recall done so I will try and get both done with the annual service next month.

I think the issue is that manufactures are very reluctant to initiate a recall on their own accord.

It has massive cost implications, and draws bad publicity.

Much cheaper and easier to fix faults when and if the customer complains, and do it away from the prying eyes of the press and media.

The current status quo is a compromise. Manufacturers are compelled by law to come forward, and in return are protected in the sense that they are not obliged to offer further compensation (though customers can still take them to court if they wish).

It is a lesson learnt form the aviation industry... pilots used to sweep under the carpet their own mistakes for fear of retribution. When it emerged that some fatal accidents resulting form human error could have been avoided if pilots reported their own mistakes and near-misses earlier, the industry adopted a code of practice that says that pilots who report incidents involving their own mistakes will not suffer adverse consequence.

They usually just fix 'em up when you have your regular service. If it's a really bad one you have a choice; go and get it done or blow up. Your decision. :D

Strictly, you don't have that much choice. Once notified of a safety recall, you are obliged to get it done in a timely manner. The DVSA flyer that accompanies the notification makes that pretty plain. Of course, what does 'promptly' actually mean though. I'm inclined to leave this until the next service as its not that long now.

Should probably consider ourselves blessed(!) that MB acknowledge this as a safety issue, unlike BMW with the similar problem they have on a bunch of their cars. (Similar, in that involves a failure of an unfused battery cable connection that can lead to fire or total electrical failure)

I forgot to say, this is on a 2016 C350e - no idea if it's specific to that model or C's in general.

My ML is going in for a recall on Monday and the Dealer has been amazing, They are going to come out on Monday Pick up the ML drop off a courtesy take it 50 miles back to their branch then bring it back and collect loaner.

All so I'm not inconvenienced, the service has always been amazing from them.

We had our booked in for the driver's airbag recall and they cancelled the booking citing lack of parts...

My ML is going in for a recall on Monday and the Dealer has been amazing, They are going to come out on Monday Pick up the ML drop off a courtesy take it 50 miles back to their branch then bring it back and collect loaner.

All so I'm not inconvenienced, the service has always been amazing from them.

Nice to hear that good service does exist. Sadly, it’s not something I’ve ever experienced myself. The mission statement at Stratford upon Avon Inchcape seems to be “anything is too much trouble (once we have your cash)”

Here we go, another recall. This time for a potentially(!) badly routed unfused battery cable chafing against body structure.

The missus raised an interesting point - why don't we get compensated for the time and fuel we waste with these things? Oh, I know, it's because consumers are idiots and just get in the way of businesses making money.

This is news to me and probably news to more on here! Are any particular Models/Years mentioned? Or is it another case of await the Letter arriving? :confused:

There's nothing obvious on the letter either way - it specifies my car by registration and chassis number but beyond that it's just generic and could apply to many or few.

Just looked - apart from the headline text "SAFETY RECALL: Check routing of wiring harness at prefuse box in engine compartment and correct if necessary" and the specific recall SRPC number, it is identical to the one I and many others got for the airbag one recently.

As i mentioned, mine is a C350e so maybe I'm just "lucky" :)

Quick update. Just had the car in for the recall. Seems it's specific to the hybrid and may even be only a certain range of cars too. Dealer said he's only seen 2 so far. Mine required the cable moving (or changing, not certain). Apparently, it can also require a new fusebox as well, mine didn't.

It is a lesson learnt form the aviation industry... pilots used to sweep under the carpet their own mistakes for fear of retribution. When it emerged that some fatal accidents resulting form human error could have been avoided if pilots reported their own mistakes and near-misses earlier, the industry adopted a code of practice that says that pilots who report incidents involving their own mistakes will not suffer adverse consequence.

It's a bit more complicated than that.

There are mandatory reporting requirements. So stuff that must be reported to the likes of the CAA or FAA. There are voluntary reports - but these may overlap with company guidelines. So what might be voluntary with one employer may be a requirement according to the rules of another.

With regard to recalls - the manufacturer also put out their own maintenance directives. So bit like a recall. But the airlines' maintenance people or subcontractors carry them out. With a vehicle recall the focus tends to be on the car manufacturer's own dealer networks carrying out the inspection and/or correction.

Quick update. Just had the car in for the recall. Seems it's specific to the hybrid and may even be only a certain range of cars too. Dealer said he's only seen 2 so far. Mine required the cable moving (or changing, not certain). Apparently, it can also require a new fusebox as well, mine didn't.
I haven’t received anything for my E350e so may be specific to a batch of C350e’s. Perhaps Herman fell asleep on his shift !

Toyota are the ones who seem to embrace recalls....every other month I read about them recalling 000s of cars. Odd, given their reputation for reliability etc.

I haven’t received anything for my E350e so may be specific to a batch of C350e’s. Perhaps Herman fell asleep on his shift !

I suspect it is. My C350e went in for a service yesterday and has to go back for a "hybrid recall". And no, they didn't manage to update the satnav as the system was down. :wallbash:

I suspect it is. My C350e went in for a service yesterday and has to go back for a "hybrid recall". And no, they didn't manage to update the satnav as the system was down. :wallbash:

It was a nightmare yesterday. The poor guys in parts were pulling their hair out when I called for prices, even the truck parts systems were down. As was the digital service book which was a nightmare for me as I couldn't update any history or check history to price anything! Pain in the rear end!
Natacha

Last edited:
It did sound a bit of a disaster. Was it the UK system, or Germany?

The good news was they were able to MOT and service my car.
The bad news was the recall wasn't done, no satnav update and they found a gearbox oil leak... :rolleyes:

It did sound a bit of a disaster. Was it the UK system, or Germany?

The good news was they were able to MOT and service my car.
The bad news was the recall wasn't done, no satnav update and they found a gearbox oil leak... :rolleyes:

I am only aware of it being UK but likely Germany too. It was the entire day bar about half an hour! Oh the joys of cars...
Natacha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom