Another Retrim - My R107 This time!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
Sorry again i forgot to take before pics, but it was basically half MB Tex seats before and the cloth was starting to wear through on the base....

You cant see on the pics, but the centre sections of the seats and headrests are in perforated (holes) leather..

I love this car to bits...

slretrim1.jpg

slretrim2.jpg

slretrim3.jpg

slfronta.jpg

slreara.jpg

Thanks

Jay

Love it Jay!

I got arrested doing 240 in a 100 zone in one similar to that many moons ago on the A8 near Stuttgart airport....cost me a months salary at the time whilst i lived out there.. £297:eek:

As a matter of interest how much does a good reupholstery cost?

Matt

I do like the SL, thats a real classic,

Have to say and I know its a genuine part / fitment but the black rear spoiler looks like a halfords special though.

Credit to you Jay. Your cars are beautiful examples.
I used to love doing what you do to them, as life goes on they were stay in my memory as very happy times in doing what I loved to do. :):)

I actually had the rear spoiler taken off a while back, but i missed it and put it back on... it is a genuine item and is quite common on the R107..

Im not going to divulge the cost as future customers may expect me to get it done at a similiar price...

Lets just say it was very good value..

Im going to have seats made for the rear bit too... just to finish it off..

It looks so much better with the leather Jay, i will have to pop over to take a look one day....

great job mate

Raj

I actually had the rear spoiler taken off a while back, but i missed it and put it back on... it is a genuine item and is quite common on the R107..

Im not going to divulge the cost as future customers may expect me to get it done at a similiar price...

Lets just say it was very good value..

Im going to have seats made for the rear bit too... just to finish it off..
The cost of the re trim is not that great, but the effect puts it into the as new category.

Have to say and I know its a genuine part / fitment but the black rear spoiler looks like a halfords special though.

Standard on the 500s and really spoils the look IMO.

Jay I'm still not convinced by the retrim - maybe you like the 'soft' look but to me it just isn't right.

I love it.. If i had a criticism, i may ask them to re do something with the door cards as they are a bit boring... However the old design was much worse..

Thanks for the comments so far...

Malcolm - yes i was worried about losing the originality... this is the only thing that is none original on the car now... but overall im glad i did it..

Please don't misunderstand me Jay

Not expecting a job at "mates rates". You are in the trade and I would expect you would get a favourable price;)

I was genuinely interested in what a re-trim should cost. I am considering it for my 2 front seats in my coupe. Its not an urgent job by any means:)

matt

Ok, well it would cost around £1000 for a job like this for front seats and door cards etc...

Add another 4-500 if you have rear seats too...

By the way, i went for black twin needling this time, it works great on Grey Leather IMO...

Thanks Jay

My back seats and cards are good. It really is just the 2 fronts that i MAY get done. That being the case can the leather people get a good match with something that is 13 years old and counting....

To be honest, the answer is a firm NO... the new leather will look odd against old, you will have to have the whole lot done...

Why did i think you were going to say that:rolleyes:

I saw the article on the 2 Ferrari seats that were resprayed/treated rather than re-trimmed. might do down that route

When I was part of the RR club this caused more debate than any other. People would say that re covering would take away the character but how can this be so, if its OK to replace the pistons as they wore out, then whats wrong with doing other parts, it was leather to start with

My car had sat in a barn in Ireland for 30 years. though a wreck the leather was intact, if I was making the outside like new, then why not the inside, I even re veneered the door capping's and the dash mirroring the grain, that took 10 goes to get it right using Burr Walnut.

Jays cars to me look stunning, people that are loaded often do this with their new cars, so why not

Last edited:
I agree Malcolm. The Rolls looks superb with the full re-trim

Lovely!

Well to be honest, when i was searching for my SL (over 3 years) i wanted one that was low mileage and completely original...

I found this one...

I was using a blanket on the seat base to stop it wearing the hole in the seat further (the cloth was just very very soft) and that annoyed me... so a full retrim was the only real option as just changing the seat base would have caused colour match issues..

I think the seats retrimmed in leather look great.:rock:

wobbly, what does yours have? same half cloth as what i had before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom