Another Rolex thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
My watch is coming up to 8 years old. Gains a bit - about 1 minute every two weeks or so - not the end of the world.

Is it worth getting it serviced at Rolex to ensure contined trouble free running? Or just take it to a reputable local horologist? Or just wear it and save the money?

If servicing is a good plan, anyone got any ideas of the cost please?

My local Rolex retailer want £450 + parts to return to it Rolex

Thanks

I would say just wear it. (but i'm probably wrong)
Its not that bad over 2 weeks is it.

My Rolex gained a minute every 4-5 days, and that was bought pre-owned from a Rolex dealer who said the watch had just been serviced.

I'd be happy with a minute every couple of weeks - and certainly wouldn't consider paying £450 plus!

Last edited:
Rolex service is exceptional,your watch will come back looking brand new,mine did but that was 15yrs ago.

I have heard that rolex would not return a chaps watch until he had a new bracelet at £1500 because they considered it scratched.I have no proof but I do trust the chap.

Is it £450 all in , or £450 plus parts ?

My sub is becoming a little loose on some of its links

I have a black and stainless Sub that I bought new in 2006. I have never had it serviced cannot see a reason to. Only wear it half a dozen times a year though.I cannot see the reason to spend £500 on a service, can anyone enlighten me please?

My bloody Casio goes out 1 hour twice a year

I have a 32oz watchmakers hammer and a brass drift so I can make any required adjustments!

for the COSC certification, if I remember correctly, has a tolerance of +/- 5secs a day. So to lose a minute every couple of weeks isn't too bad.

BTW the steel bracelets on current generation Rolexs, as I've found out , is £2k plus!!

You see, I would not want to send my watch off and have it come back looking like new. I like them to have a certain amount of 'life story' about them and if that wear was removed it just wouldn't be the same watch any more.

I only send my shoes back for a rebuild when it really cant be avoided as they take all the creases out of the leather along with the character and it takes a fair bit of use to get it back.

Check out watchfinder - see what they can do. Prob cheaper than Rolex themselves. They do cosmetic repairs and refurbs too. My Omega came up a treat.

Its worth getting it serviced at Rolex...does come back spotless and under 2 year guarantee. Also helps having a service record if you ever want to sell it. You can send it off for an assessement and decline the service if you feel the extras are too much. I sent off my sea dweller years ago for a service and they would not do it unless i paid for a new bracelet...at £400.

I found Rolex service dreadful, watch had to go back twice to have the hands aligned. It first came back with the hour hand well ahead at 12:00. It was sent back and returned with the hour back well back at 12:00.

It took weeks each time.

Useless shower of shyate.

If you wear your watch daily, just note that the turnaround time for a service/repair at Rolex was about three month when I last enquired.

a chronometer is called such because it's RATE of change is constant.
gaining or loosing a minute every 2 weeks is not a large amount.
how you place the watch makes a lot of difference; if gaining for example placing it a certain way on the dresser at night will address that.
if you're having it serviced; make sure you use rolex.
i had a friend in fleetwood who worked for rolex for years... (stopped working because he got wheelchair bound) he has looked after my 35 year old gmt master for me for the last 10 years and have been amazing! what would cost £450 in service costs; costs £50 plus parts :)
i now also have a steel and gold gmt master II thats coming to 4 years old... love it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom