Another silly novice question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roshe25

Car
c200 cdi Avantgarde
Hi
I am really new to MB's,If I put to much engine oil in and want to take some out is there a dipstick hole somewhere on the engine.It is a c200 cdi Avantgarde auto.
I have a electric vacuum pump from my previous car but I cant find anywhere to put the tube.(no wise cracks):doh:
Please be gentle as I am 68yrs and trying to learn a lot by using this forum which is good.:dk:

On the W203 the dipstick tube is normally at the rear of the engine. At the time Mercedes didn't feel the necessity to provide a dipstick so its usually capped off with a black/red/yellow cap or plug. You should be able to suck out some oil there- but first buy an aftermarket dipstick [ ebay] suitable for the car and check the present level and that you are sampling the engine oil and not the gearbox fluid.

HI
Thank you all for replies I did notice a tube at the back of the engine with a red cap but assumed it was for the gearbox.
I will do as you have said and get a dipstick (me included) off of ebay and I will sample the oil to make sure it is not transmission fluid.
I have not overfilled the oil at the moment as the instrument panel I checked said oil ok but who knows in the future what I might do.
Thank you.

Last edited:
The gearbox ATF dipstick tube would have a black cap with a small red security pin.

The engine oil dipstick tube will have plug (not cap) made of bright red plastic.

You can get a more accurate reading by accessing the service menu.

Turn the ignition key to position 1
Scroll through the menus using the steering wheel button (left one) until it displays trip mileage and total mileage in the display.
Press the reset button three times in quick succession (the little knob, left hand side of the instrument cluster).
Press the Up arrow button on the steering wheel once.
Turn the ign key to the next position. Ign on, DO NOT start the engine.
Oil level will be displayed in litres.

Better to have the level below the max capacity.

This will only work after the vehicle has been idle for 5+ minutes.

Turn the ignition key to position 1
Scroll through the menus using the steering wheel button (left one) until it displays trip mileage and total mileage in the display.
Press the reset button three times in quick succession (the little knob, left hand side of the instrument cluster).
Press the Up arrow button on the steering wheel once.
Turn the ign key to the next position. Ign on, DO NOT start the engine.
Oil level will be displayed in litres.

Better to have the level below the max capacity.

This will only work after the vehicle has been idle for 5+ minutes.

Just tried this on my 2005 C230 & although a lot of info comes up,nothing about oil level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom