Another SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
Gentlemen, what think you of this? (It's definitely a 500; I've no idea why it has come up as a 350.)

Mercedes SL350 2005 | eBay

I've made an offer, which has been accepted, and the seller says that if I'm not happy, he'll refund my train fare. We spoke at some length; I'm going to see it on Tuesday, and expect to be driving it home that afternoon.

Gentlemen, what think you of this? (It's definitely a 500; I've no idea why it has come up as a 350.)

Mercedes SL350 2005 | eBay

I've made an offer, which has been accepted, and the seller says that if I'm not happy, he'll refund my train fare. We spoke at some length; I'm going to see it on Tuesday, and expect to be driving it home that afternoon.
I really would be spending more on a better example unless you particularly want a project. Problems with central locking and roof (possibly 2 new pumps required), rust and "gearbox service" could be potentially costly, although possibly something and nothing. There seem to have been a good few of these for sale recently at reasonable money.

When I copied and pasted the link at home a couple of hours ago, what is in my post came up, but went to the right car.

I can tell it's a 500 both because the seller it is, and be sure from the picture of the engine compartment; that's a n/a M113 filter/intake setup.

I really would be spending more on a better example unless you particularly want a project. Problems with central locking and roof (possibly 2 new pumps required), rust and "gearbox service" could be potentially costly, although possibly something and nothing. There seem to have been a good few of these for sale recently at reasonable money.

I'm fussy about colour, though; I prefer a blue one, and won't have a black or a silver one, or a dark interior. That rules out the vast majority of those for sale.

The known expensive stuff - ABC and SBC - has been done, including the front struts. If the central locking works on the doors - and it does according to the seller - the pump is OK. There are no problems either with the roof, again according to the seller. I'll check for rust when I see it. At that mileage, I'd be wary of a car that had NOT had a gearbox service.

Subject to inspection, I reckon it will be fine. I'll see.

I'm fussy about colour, though; I prefer a blue one, and won't have a black or a silver one, or a dark interior. That rules out the vast majority of those for sale.

The known expensive stuff - ABC and SBC - has been done, including the front struts. If the central locking works on the doors - and it does according to the seller - the pump is OK. There are no problems either with the roof, again according to the seller. I'll check for rust when I see it. At that mileage, I'd be wary of a car that had NOT had a gearbox service.

Subject to inspection, I reckon it will be fine. I'll see.
Good luck- cheap car if it checks out!

Judging by how the R129 SL500 turned out for him, this is comparatively a minter!

Like it? I LOVE It :D:D:D:D

This one, however, is not being sold in Bradford by an elderly Yorkshireman called Oscar Shaw - who turned out on meeting to be a young Pakistani called Oscar SHAH...

And more to the point, no money has changed hands yet. :)

Like it? I LOVE It :D:D:D:D

This one, however, is not being sold in Bradford by an elderly Yorkshireman called Oscar Shaw - who turned out on meeting to be a young Pakistani called Oscar SHAH...

And more to the point, no money has changed hands yet. :)
Your rate of buying and selling cars in the past year or so is laudable, I’m very nearly inspired to go out and get the bug of lookingbfor the perfect car (that never exists!) but have fun searching!

I'm confused (its not difficult):doh:
The link in Post# 1 points to a silver SL being sold in Edgware.
The Reg# doesn't compute and there are no photos of the engine bay to confirm its an M113 (500) engine

Am I missing something here, especially as Will's link in Post#3 points to a Teal Blue SL500 in far better condition with a photo of the engine.:dk:

The Reg# doesn't compute and there are no photos of the engine bay to confirm its an M113 (500) engine

Am I missing something here, especially as Will's link in Post#3 points to a Teal Blue SL500 in far better condition with a photo of the engine.:dk:
When an advert now ends on eBay the link won’t take you to the original advert it shows a similar car that they “suggest”.

If you look carefully, it will say at the top “this listing has now ended” - click on the part that says listing and it goes to the original advert.

Do you not get the message in grey at the top of the OP’s link:

We found something similar
The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you.

There’s a link on eBay to the original item :thumb:

When an advert now ends on eBay the link won’t take you to the original advert it shows a similar car that they “suggest”.

If you look carefully, it will say at the top “this listing has now ended” - click on the part that says listing and it goes to the original advert.

Do you not get the message in grey at the top of the OP’s link:

There’s a link on eBay to the original item :thumb:

Got it!

I'm being very dense today:D

Doesn't it stress you out buying cars? Looks smart hope all go's well.

I think I understand; it's my (albeit unwitting) fault... I still have 'my' car in my Watch List, and I must have copied the URL from there to paste it. I don't know why I'm not redirected to the silver one in Edgware too, though, but I'm not, and I don't get the message in grey either. Like Benny Hill, "Learning all the time..."

Also, now I understand OldGuy 57's comments yesterday. I thought he must have spotted things I hadn't, but I was at the office, where the firewall prevents eBay access, and although he seemed to be describing a different car, I couldn't check.

I wouldn't touch the silver one in Edgware, even if it were the right colour; I don't need a project SL - shades of my R129!

Will's link is the one; Teal Blue. Decent spec, and having spoken to him at some length, so indeed I think is the seller, and I expect it will be exactly as described. I'll find out tomorrow; more anon.

Your rate of buying and selling cars in the past year or so is laudable, I’m very nearly inspired to go out and get the bug of looking for the perfect car (that never exists!) but have fun searching!

I really REALLY love the n/a M113/7g gearbox combination, and I need another convertible, and want another MB (not least because of Wayne Gates; there's a well-recommended Jaguar indie near me, but I've been there once, and won't be going back, and I don't know of a good one), and I like the looks of the SL more than the CLK. The SL500's performance is pretty much the same as the XK's, and XK prices are strong at the moment, so it's obvious that I have to buy an SL NOW! (I'd have had the other one I posted, but the owner simply couldn't afford the cash needed as part of the swap, even though I offered him a very good deal indeed, so I started looking elsewhere.)

If I like the SL enough as a car, I'll probably be looking for an SL55 soon... More anon, no doubt.

Good luck- cheap car if it checks out!

And so, indeed, it was. The seller was a little economical with the truth, but it's pretty much as described.

The Parktronic isn't 'temperamental', it's duff; two dud sensors, according to my iCarsoft. I happen to have a couple of new ones in the garage. The boot soft close works perfectly if you gently lower the lid on to the seal; I can live with that. The rear bumper paint damage is superficial, though a bit more extensive than the ad suggests - not a 'Chips Away' job at all, really - but a £15 rattle can kit will do the job.

The key locking for the glovebox and rear stowage doesn't work; I can live with that. The rear stowage lid for the CD player compartment won't open, but that's not going to be a problem for long, and will cost nothing to sort out. I can't see it costing much to sort out the leaking washer reservoir; probably just a bit of sealant, or a new pump at worst.

Apart from the odd minor cosmetic blemish, that's about all. On the positive side: new ABC pump, new SBC unit, replacement front struts, new front lower arms; no wet carpets or dampness anywhere inside; the roof, the central locking, the boot remote opening, in fact everything else works; the gearbox is as smooth as silk; the car is very nice to drive, and not as 'soft' as the XK it replaces.

I knocked the seller down a few hundred, and drove away well satisfied. 125 miles later, I'm still well satisfied. It's a good 'un...

:banana::thumb:

Last edited:
Most of the listed options in the ebay ad were actually standard fit on the SL500 and there are quite a few issues to be resolved but hopefully the fixes wont be too expensive. I like the colour combination, the exterior paint is one of the rarer colours. Good luck with the car, they are impressive, beautiful cars.

Looks like a cracking buy given all the work done. Decent brand tyres always a good sign. I think the bumper deserves a proper respray!

Scuffmaster dye would get the steering wheel as new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom