Another SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great result, good luck with it.

Looks like a cracking buy given all the work done. Decent brand tyres always a good sign. I think the bumper deserves a proper respray!

I'll see how the rattle can works out first; if it's not good, a respray it will get.

Scuffmaster dye would get the steering wheel as new.

What it needs is a grey and burr walnut part-wood steering wheel to set off the wood trim, I think. One has just sold on eBay for £150, and should be arriving at my door on Friday...:thumb:

I'll see how the rattle can works out first; if it's not good, a respray it will get.

What it needs is a grey and burr walnut part-wood steering wheel to set off the wood trim, I think. One has just sold on eBay for £150, and should be arriving at my door on Friday...:thumb:
Sounds like most of the expensive stuff has been sorted, which is nice. Sounds like you've got a good one- SL500's can gobble up cash(ask JDL on here ;) )

Most of the listed options in the ebay ad were actually standard fit on the SL500 and there are quite a few issues to be resolved but hopefully the fixes wont be too expensive. I like the colour combination, the exterior paint is one of the rarer colours. Good luck with the car, they are impressive, beautiful cars.

CD changer storage compartment lid - fixed (see my thread in Interior if you're interested). Total cost nil.
Boot soft close problem - about an hour's work (I found a thread on MBWorld with the fix). Total cost nil.
Parking sensors - very easy fix (once I have touch-up paint with which to paint them). I already have spares, so total cost £4.99.

The spare tyre compressor was missing; new one ordered. Total cost £23.99.
The metal key in the spare fob is the wrong one, so I'll need a new one. Total cost (iirc) about £12.

So far so good.

HOWEVER, repairing the missing little trim flap for the roof opening/closing mechanism? That may be surprisingly expensive, judging by how much used ones are in the States. I haven't asked my local dealer yet...

Rear bumper? If the rattle can isn't good enough, about £200 for a professional respray in situ.

I don't have the PIN code for the Bluetooth adapter in the car, so may have to buy another. More anon...

I expect to find things needing doing on any used car, but there's not too much on this one. I'm still a happy bunny - I think...

Last edited:
A good start for sure, i have responded to your bluetooth thread, see if the code works.

Repairing the missing little trim flap for the roof opening/closing mechanism? That may be surprisingly expensive, judging by how much used ones are in the States. I haven't asked my local dealer yet...
All good so far then:) Have you looked to see if the flap has been put in some compartment somewhere? I know someone on here found a missing flap lodged in an undertray. Just a thought. New ones are £250 ish. The usual reason for them to come adrift seems to be that the plastic hinges fail but there are some cheap fixes around.

There have been some flaps made by 3D printing , have a feeling there was an eBay seller somewhere, and fixing nylon hinges from Screwfix. Thread on the ‘other’ side which I’m too lazy to search and link this morning tbh!

I'm pretty sure I don't have the missing flap anywhere in the car, but looking at the gap, and the £250 in my wallet, I'm pretty sure I can manage to make up a flap from something plastic kicking around in the garage, and with a little grey paint, or even embossed vinyl, and some little hinges from Screwfix, keep about £245.

The big boot seal is buggered, though - the one with the triangular ends - and I think that will probably account for around the £245...

It needs two new boot struts, and the parking sensors sorting, then the new plugs fitting and an engine and gearbox oil change just to be sure (the previous owner's quoted 'full service' was, I suspect, just an engine oil change:rolleyes:), then it's just a matter of driving it and waiting until something else goes wrong. The car is a fourteen-year-old R230; something will...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom