Another software update.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tramper

Car
E Class
Just had a letter drop on the door mat from Mercedes. My W213 needs an update as the emergency call function in the event of an accident may fail to give my exact position the system is called ‘e call’. The update is done automatically through the communication module ( HERMES) in the next couple of weeks

I have to ring them if I don’t want this done otherwise they assume I would like it done.

Just had a letter drop on the door mat from Mercedes. My W213 needs an update as the emergency call function in the event of an accident may fail to give my exact position the system is called ‘e call’. The update is done automatically through the communication module ( HERMES) in the next couple of weeks

I have to ring them if I don’t want this done otherwise they assume I would like it done.
Yea i've just got the same letter, thats ok it will keep us safe and they can do remotely, happy days. Just don't let them near you with the spanner thats undoes the self parking, HIDE.

And what else gets downloaded to your car?
If you have a problem anywhere in the world and need to give your exact position you must have the What Three Words app on your phone.

I don't think they would be able to switch off your auto parking, as if they could there would not be the backlog of people getting there new cars, they would do it all remotely. Also they are asking for your permission to do this and stating what they are doing so surely they would have to get your permission for that also. BUT "only trust the person you see in the mirror" Thats what my dad used to say and he was right.

How odd that some owners are choosing to decline this fix. Why would you want to keep driving a car where the emergency services could be dispatched to an incorrect location if you and your car get into serious trouble that requires emergency services?

"The fault, Mercedes said, was in the software connected to the communications module used by the emergency call system.
"In rare cases, this could mean that in the event of an accident-related temporary drop in a vehicle's voltage, the communication module might not communicate the correct current position when an emergency call is made/triggered," a spokeswoman for the car-maker said.

How odd that some owners are choosing to decline this fix. Why would you want to keep driving a car where the emergency services could be dispatched to an incorrect location if you and your car get into serious trouble that requires emergency services?

"The fault, Mercedes said, was in the software connected to the communications module used by the emergency call system.
"In rare cases, this could mean that in the event of an accident-related temporary drop in a vehicle's voltage, the communication module might not communicate the correct current position when an emergency call is made/triggered," a spokeswoman for the car-maker said.

I don't think that Jobsworth has an issue with this particular feature, or with the software update for it.

If I understood correctly, he says that he does not want MB anywhere near his car (physically or remotely) because (a) he does not trust them not to do - intentionally - anything else that he hasn't agreed to, and (b) he does not trust them not to mess-up - unintentionally - anything else on the car.

Personally, I would get the update done, but at the same time I also have sympathy for Jobsworth's position. Given how poorly MB handled the Dieselgate software update (without asking for owners' consent), and the Active Parking Assist deletion (without notifying customers, or even their own dealers), and given the many complaints on here about cars that went into the workshop to fix one problem and came out with another, sadly I have to accept the both MB and the dealers have earned Jobsworth's distrust in them.

I personally have had dealings with three different MB dealerships, they have all been good. This includes buying cars and servicing and warranty work.
My last E class had the diesel software update, I didn’t notice any drop in MPG and it still went into top gear, both Nox sensors were changed FOC.
When I picked up my current car, on leaving the dealership I had a warning Msg come up regarding engine oil overfill. I took it straight back. It went into the workshop problem rectified straightaway and they topped it up to full with diesel.
I appreciate that some people have had issues with their particular dealers but my experience has been all good up to now.

I personally have had dealings with three different MB dealerships, they have all been good. This includes buying cars and servicing and warranty work.
My last E class had the diesel software update, I didn’t notice any drop in MPG and it still went into top gear, both Nox sensors were changed FOC.
When I picked up my current car, on leaving the dealership I had a warning Msg come up regarding engine oil overfill. I took it straight back. It went into the workshop problem rectified straightaway and they topped it up to full with diesel.
I appreciate that some people have had issues with their particular dealers but my experience has been all good up to now.

Name the good dealers.... :)

I had so far 4 services done at MB Brooklands, under Service Care Plan. The first 3 were great, can't fault them. The last one (Dec 2020) wasn't as smooth, they claimed it was because they were short-staffed due to COVID, and I am willing to let them have the benefit of the doubt. So they'll definitely see me again in December 2021.

MB Colchester
MB Dartford
MB Chelmsford
Thats good news i see you don't have lakeside on there, i walked out on there sales people, as not got a clue on how to treat people. What was the one that toped you car up with diesel? a nice gesture, but you could also say, bad workmanship for overfilling it with oil?

Thats good news i see you don't have lakeside on there, i walked out on there sales people, as not got a clue on how to treat people. What was the one that toped you car up with diesel? a nice gesture, but you could also say, bad workmanship for overfilling it with oil?
It was Colchester, also collected my car for service from home delivered it back even though it was just outside their maximum distance from the dealership I can’t fault that.

I'm guessing that if the car is taken to the dealer and there's an outstanding emissions update that would be done at the same time.

Has anybody had other work completed but refused the emissions update and dealer been happy to do one and not the other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom