Another speeding copper off the hook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Where is the ' off the hook' bit ? I failed to notice that.

PJH is referring to the cop, I believe.

124 mph on a dual c/w, 91 on what, a 40 or 50 mph road? No mention of responding to an emergency or a call, no mention of siren or lights.

No conviction, no points, no suspension - I'd say that's pretty much off the hook.

You or me nabbed at 124 would be looking at at least a 12 month ban & maybe some confinement.

Yeah, I'd say he got away with it.

That's just it you see. He may not have been convicted at court, but still got disciplined by his employer, which will in turn have an effect on his career prospects within the force.
Would a joiner or plumber have the same restrictions put on their careers?
Do you think a person, despite their trade should be punished twice. He has received his punishment, which is way less than Joe public, but nevertheless he has received a punishment.
This is on the say so of, an already irate, member of the public who had been arrested and may have had an axe to grind.

Ah, bollocks to it! Blokey was drink driving so I imagine that more than a little hint of sour grapes started the complaint off!

Indeed! And what would PJH want anyway. The cop to get sacked, lose his job. Be unable to pay his mortgage, lose his wife, his kids, end up unemployed, an alcoholic:D . The prisoner, in the back of the car may have been violent as well.......in which case you would want him in secure custody ASAP, so bolox to the speed limit, he is an advanced driver and therefore well capable of travelling at such speeds. He is trained to drive fast FFS , and was doing his job. :bannana:

Frankly I think that is utter tosh. I'm not so sure that this mark on his record will have that much of an effect on his prospects at all. Many Police officers have driving convictions. This officer was never convicted of a crime so it cant really be used against him with any vengence.

If he was banned from driving he wouldnt be able to perform his job function in exactly the same way as I wouldnt be able to perform my job If I lost my license and we would both likely lose our jobs.

Would you rather lose your license and potentially receive some kind of incarceration as a result of your speeding which would no doubt devastate any career .... or would you rather have a ticking off from your boss recorded in your file by human resources?

As someone facing this sort of thing right at this moment, I know which one I'd prefer. This officer got off very lightly indeed.

protecting their own ... he should have been fired for such gross misconduct

Well hopefully you will too.(SPIKE) But do you get the point that you cannot be done twice for the same offence. Double jeapordy(spelling?).

And how many times have you driven a drunken person to a Police Station who may be unwilling to come with you?

Bet you would want to get there ASAP. So F**K the speed limits. Believe me, I have been there and sometimes you are in just as much a rush to respond to an incident and leave the nick as you are to get there with your prisoner. And that also allows you to travel to the nick with blue lights and two tones..........if you can justify it.

However, we don't know the full details of this incident, so let him be, it's over and done with.:)

Fuzzer you are an ****. So you have never broken the speed limit? Well if you have , or indeed do, then hopefully you will be judged by your own standards, and you too will lose your employment and pension too. Fancy sacking someone for speeding.....are you mad?:confused:

Road Traffic Act-

Statutory exemption provided for a police officer driving a police vehicle for police purposes- Simple as.

The fact the bloke refused a test at the roadside does slightly suggest he was somewhat of an **** anyway.

But hey, I don't know the full facts. At least he wasn't rushing to get a kebab...

timmy said:
Fuzzer you are an ****. So you have never broken the speed limit? Well if you have , or indeed do, then hopefully you will be judged by your own standards, and you too will lose your employment and pension too. Fancy sacking someone for speeding.....are you mad?:confused:

But , i don't go round talking down to everybody , issuing fixed penalty notices , wrecking someones day etc etc and then go and do the same myself.

No one is above the law , someone in that position knows the law more than most. Its all about the trust given to a police officer and if they are willing to bend the rules for their own means and gains on something as simple as taking a suspect in that doesnt require warp speed factor 9 , then they should keep to the speed limits , which are limits and should be driven up to when safe to do so and not exceeded.

Im sure that officer in question has been directly responsable for someone who does require a driving licence for their job and not applying the same bending of the rules they afford to themself on a number of occasions, loosing their job.

Lead by example !! Its the only way to gain respect !!! If no one respects a speed limit , no one will stick to it.

Last edited:
timmy said:
Well hopefully you will too.(SPIKE) But do you get the point that you cannot be done twice for the same offence. Double jeapordy(spelling?).

I've not even read the story but you speak of double jeapardy and the driver being "done twice" for an offence.

A disceplinary taken against an individual with respect to their employment is not connected to being prossecuted for breaking the law.

This driver hasn't been prossecuted but even if they had the CPS isn't attempting to prossecute them again for the same offence, or any other, so your remark is rubbish.

If we had a driver that lost their licence through speeding we would dismiss them, this has actually happened.
Does that mean they are "being done" twice and falls under double jeapardy? Of course it doesn't.

Presumably if I'm to be prossecuted for breaking the law I should say that I MIGHT lose my job so would be let off...Hmm.

Pity he wasn't driving a Mercedes then it would have been ok for him to have sped apparently and a section of the community would have said fair go to him for using all the tricks in the trade to get off. Or is this double standards again?

Carrotchomper said:
Road Traffic Act-

Statutory exemption provided for a police officer driving a police vehicle for police purposes- Simple as.

The fact the bloke refused a test at the roadside does slightly suggest he was somewhat of an **** anyway.

why does it? I would have thought it was rather smart of him given that he MAY be over the limit. He will be banned for failing to provide but not for DD. Failing to provide is a much lesser penalty.

fuzzer said:
But , i don't go round talking down to everybody , issuing fixed penalty notices , wrecking someones day etc etc and then go and do the same myself.

Who said he was 'talking down' to anyone? There is no need to sterotype.

And secondly, if a cop gets banned from driving.......and some should in some circumsatnces..........they stand to lose more than their licence, they lose their job too. Which means they lose about £70/£80k lump sum and £1,000 per month, in pension, which is in anybody's eyes excessive.

We don't know the circumstances of this individual incident, but to say he should be sacked for gross misconduct is a joke.

Cops are in a unique position in society, in that it appears that they can break the law without punishment.....of course they can do things that other members of the public can't, but one thing is for sure......cops are under far more scrutiny than most people in society. Not only do the public want to have a pop at them, but so do their employers. So next time a cop ' gets off' put yourself in their shoes, and think how many people actually were trying to get him done.

[. Failing to provide is a much lesser penalty.[/quote]

Than what? Really?

So if I am twice the limit ( in my own pissed up mind) and refuse a breath test I will get a lesser ban. Don't think so.

timmy said:
fuzzer said:
And secondly, if a cop gets banned from driving.......and some should in some circumsatnces..........they stand to lose more than their licence, they lose their job too. Which means they lose about £70/£80k lump sum and £1,000 per month, in pension, which is in anybody's eyes excessive.

What on earth has their pension rights got to do with disceplianary and prossecution??

Strange, I hear this whenever I hear of a Policeman being disceplined. In a commercial environment there would be no consideration given to this and the individual should have thought about the concequences before breaking the rules.

Don't forget we do have a right to comment as we are paying the individuals salary and perks.

timmy said:
[. Failing to provide is a much lesser penalty.

Than what? Really?

So if I am twice the limit ( in my own pissed up mind) and refuse a breath test I will get a lesser ban. Don't think so.[/QUOTE]

No but you will not have it on your licence for ten years and it will not affect your insurance to the same extent.

Dieselman said:
timmy said:
Don't forget we do have a right to comment as we are paying the individuals salary and perks.

Eh? WTF are you on about. Paying salary and perks..........right to comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom