Another start-stop question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all - I was the OP - thanks for the all the messages, and sorry I did not get back in sooner. I didn't get any emails about replies.

It's a Cazoo car which despite reservations buying online I feel I got an absolutely amazing deal, saving 2 or 3 grand over a Mercedes used dealer.

Cazoo has a 90 day warranty and they have offered to fix whatever is causing the S/S but the garage who will do the work is not that convenient to get to. Not an unreasonable distance, just a pain in the bs really and lost work time needs factoring in.

As the car is perfect in every other way (apart from the Ambient Lighting going out if the back door is opened - I believe there is a software fix for that?) - I've decided to not bother getting the S/S looked at.

I suppose the only thing bugging me is it might mean the battery is poor, however everything else in the car works fine and there is no battery warning light or anything.

Just out of interest, if this were the battery, what am I looking at in terms of £££ for a new one (not main dealer prices).

Thanks again to all who replied.
It is your decision of course, but if the battery is on the way out you might find yourself with a greater inconvenience than taking the car to be fixed now. While we are almost certainly correct in believing it to be a battery problem, I suppose it might be something else and, by accepting the fault, you are almost certainly giving up any right to a subsequent repair. But entirely your decision.

stop start battery £180-£240 if your not bothered, i would get it sorted

You're both right, made me think again ... I'll get it booked in. Cheers.

On a similar note the stop/start on my used 2018 W205 worked for a couple of months after I bought it but hasn’t worked since. I’ve used a CTEK charger on the battery once or twice to top it up during lockdown but never to recondition it.

My question however is regarding whether leaving the system switched on or not makes any difference to anything. As it has to be switched off manually then I’m inclined to think that it’s not actually doing any harm leaving it activated every time I drive the car, am I right or am I wrong?

On a similar note the stop/start on my used 2018 W205 worked for a couple of months after I bought it but hasn’t worked since. I’ve used a CTEK charger on the battery once or twice to top it up during lockdown but never to recondition it.

My question however is regarding whether leaving the system switched on or not makes any difference to anything. As it has to be switched off manually then I’m inclined to think that it’s not actually doing any harm leaving it activated every time I drive the car, am I right or am I wrong?
I think you are right, but the bigger question is why it isn’t working.

Battery knackered,
A C-Tek will add charge, but it won’t make a bad battery good.
I have one and my 4 1/2 year old battery still needed replacing.

Just one last question from me on this subject, how much of an impact does the stop/start function have on fuel economy?

If you get 50 mpg not much.
If you get 18 mpg, every drop is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom