Another ugly Lexus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Lexus-RX-2015-Fahrbericht-1200x800-bbf8ecf2aa19aa7e.jpg

what are they thinking?

I used to find that when radically different looking cars appeared on the market that although I didn't like them at first I grew to appreciate their styling, but in the last 10 years that just hasn't happened. Nearly every marque with the exception of Jaguar is producing uglier cars than they did 10 years ago, but the Japanese marques seem to have completely lost the plot. Mind you MB aren't far behind... I still let out a little tear when I see an R231 SL..... from the boxy square R129 to the stunning R230 and then back towards squareness in just over a decade.... sigh!

Stealth mode I presume...a number plate would make the grille look better amusingly.

what are they thinking?

Looks accident damaged right out of the factory.

But look at Audi and Ford - while not as extreme (absurd?) as Lexus they seem to be making the front of the car look more gaping and open - the Ford Ecosport and the current Mondeo seem almost like cartoon cars with their gaping grills.

there is a trend for gaping mouths .. is this influenced by celebrity 'culture'?

Never seen the appeal of Lexus's...

I suspect the orginal LS400 and the LS430 gave MB quite a scare in the 90s.

These days I think Lexus and Infiniti are a bit lost - especially in Europe - having a hard time differentiating themselves from both their own parent brands and their competition.

there is a trend for gaping mouths .. is this influenced by celebrity 'culture'?

Have you seen the new Audi Q7 ?

There seems to be quite a lot of hate for the whole Audi brand on here, in my opinion they are coming out with best looking designs in most classes currently.

As a brand, Lexus has always given me good impressions due to the amount of innovation and technology that goes into their cars, but the latest designs really do not appeal to me. I really like the back end of the IS, but what has happened to the front...?

2014-lexus-is-gets-trd-aerodynamic-and-handling-kit-photo-gallery_14.jpg

Lexus_IS_300h_F_Sport_(III)_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht,_3._M%C3%A4rz_2014,_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

There seems to be quite a lot of hate for the whole Audi brand on here,

Since Audi started making their cars look more aggressive 10 years ago there has been a noticable shift in the number of drivers who get the brand noticed for the wrong reasons.

Its evidently termed the "spindle grille" which some say is a reference to Toyota's company origins where evidently they made weaving looms.

In 1924, Sakichi Toyoda invented the Toyoda Model G Automatic Loom. The principle of jidoka, which means the machine stops itself when a problem occurs, became later a part of the Toyota Production Line System. Looms were built on a small production line. In 1929, the patent for the automatic loom was sold to a British company, generating the starting capital for the automobile development

1280px-Toyota_Loom_Mass_Production_Bertel_Schmitt.jpg

I used to find that when radically different looking cars appeared on the market that although I didn't like them at first I grew to appreciate their styling, but in the last 10 years that just hasn't happened. Nearly every marque with the exception of Jaguar is producing uglier cars than they did 10 years ago, but the Japanese marques seem to have completely lost the plot. Mind you MB aren't far behind... I still let out a little tear when I see an R231 SL..... from the boxy square R129 to the stunning R230 and then back towards squareness in just over a decade.... sigh!

When you say SL to me I think W113 or R107 all square and a little upright, so the R230 was a bit of departure in my eyes, trying to make a Grand Tourer more "sporty", so the R231 brought it back to where it should be.

In fact I like it so much I've ordered an SL400.

Last edited:
inspiration comes in various forms ...

If someone in Lexus marketing sees the above post they'll probably do a performance version and call it the NX Predator!

drivers who get the brand noticed for the wrong reasons.

This can be said about any brand though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom