Another video of MY rattles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

@MARK

Car
Audi A7 Quattro
So the saga continues and both MBUK and the dealer have failed to speak with me for a week now.

The rattles in the car are getting worse. It was a case that the car only rattled when the car was warm. Now it seems to rattle all the time.

So on a trip down the A1M (not exactly a minor road) I got the chance to make a video of the rattles. I know some of you seem to think that by not posting such a video of my car, I am somehow hiding something so here you go.

You may want to turn up the volume and the rattles come in at about 25 seconds

Remember, Mercedes-Benz claim that this is acceptable

[YOUTUBE]LWufR-w-NBs[/YOUTUBE]

I doubt that video will strengthen your case to be honest.

That loan car that you had rattled a fair bit, but if this is what you class as 'getting worse' then it must have been barely audible before.

I doubt that video will strengthen your case to be honest.

That loan car that you had rattled a fair bit, but if this is what you class as 'getting worse' then it must have been barely audible before.

More a case of doing it all the time rather than just when the car is warm or when the sun is shining. The volume level etc hasn't changed.

It doesn't sound that loud to me either (although I can see it being annoying still). Is it more noticeable in real life?

I saw in another thread (the new C63 one) where if you hold the centre console at the bottom left by pulling it in stops it, does that stop the sound on yours too?

It doesn't sound that loud to me either (although I can see it being annoying still). Is it more noticeable in real life?

I saw in another thread (the new C63 one) where if you hold the centre console at the bottom left by pulling it in stops it, does that stop the sound on yours too?

It's a bit like a dripping tap. I am sure there are some people that won't be bothered however turning the radio on to something like Radio 4 doesn't drown it out so it is loud enough to be annoying (and difficult to appreciate from a video taken on a mobile phone) and as I have said before, because I use time in the car between meetings at "thinking time" is will normally drive without the radio on.

Applying upward pressure does seem to make a difference

Have you thought about jamming some fabric between the centre console and the base section as a temporary measure? (Assuming that would get it to stop)

With everything turned up to 11 I can hear it- I can understand that it annoys you, and is more prominent to you because of all the grief it's caused, but if I'm hearing an accurate reproduction, it's hardly intrusive, and I doubt MB would worry about joe public hearing it.

Perhaps getting worse now that outside temps dropping?

Have you tried lubricating the rubber door seals/window seals with mb special lube or silcone spray or Gummi Pfledge?

With everything turned up to 11 I can hear it-

And at 11 then that is probably an accurate representation of the volume in the car.

To put it into perspective, you would need to raise your voice to be heard over the road noise if you were sitting in the back. It's loud enough to be heard over the top of the radio being played at a normal volume.

The car doesn't have a volume control so if it sounds quiet to you then turn up your speakers.

Have you tried lubricating the rubber door seals/window seals with mb special lube or silcone spray or Gummi Pfledge?

It's not the door/windows seals but to be honest, the car interior is literally "dripping" with lubricant on the trim

Last edited:

It's a bit like a dripping tap. I am sure there are some people that won't be bothered however turning the radio on to something like Radio 4 doesn't drown it out so it is loud enough to be annoying (and difficult to appreciate from a video taken on a mobile phone) and as I have said before, because I use time in the car between meetings at "thinking time" is will normally drive without the radio on.

Applying upward pressure does seem to make a difference

Also looked at the blog and the exact same thing came to mind. Put a discrete bit of fabric/ cardboard, increasing the pressure on the moving part and thus reducing the rattle.

Could be a hassle free fix?

Velcro felt cut to size and slid in place? you should not have to - but it looks like you do have to if you want to get rid of it.

i had a vibration issue in my C55 at roughly the same area. Solved it by cutting a vary small tie wrap and sliding it in, hardly visible. But your right though, you should not have to put up with it in a new motor. So far i have been lucky with my 2012 c class.

i had a vibration issue in my C55 at roughly the same area. Solved it by cutting a vary small tie wrap and sliding it in, hardly visible. But your right though, you should not have to put up with it in a new motor.

Could be a hassle free fix?

But if it's so simple to fix, why have many many visits to the dealer failed to do so?

Mark, sorry I've not read every post/thread on this topic, but if you were to list out various solutions to this matter, starting with your preference and ending in MB preference, what would they all be. As I'm not quite sure what realistic conclusion to all of this is going to be.

Mark, sorry I've not read every post/thread on this topic, but if you were to list out various solutions to this matter, starting with your preference and ending in MB preference, what would they all be. As I'm not quite sure what realistic conclusion to all of this is going to be.

I think it's simple

I want a car that doesn't rattle

MB say that's impossible and that all Mercedes-Benz cars rattle

Not sure what any conclusion is going to look like

Last edited:
My view is more basic and hasn't changed throughout this thread:

It's new, it cost c£40K, it wasn't designed to rattle - it rattles.

Therefore it's a fault.

I'd be upset too.

It's totally unacceptable. I can just imagine, there i am driving a client in the back of my S-Class and he wants some peace and quite and he has to put up with that noise. I don't think so.

It should not make any difference that it's a S-Class an A- Class or any other Class of Mercedes it should not be rattling like a tin can.

I think it's simple

I want a car that doesn't rattle

MB say that's impossible and that all Mercedes-Benz cars rattle

Not sure what any conclusion is going to look like

So if you test drove several second-hand MB cars and found one that didn't rattle, would you be happy to swap? (cash maybe going in either direction to reflect age/spec etc)

I can understand that you find that annoying, but too struggled with the volume (I'd call it creaking rather than rattling...). I guess it's like me and a ticking watch at night - if I know it's there I can hear it and it'll keep me awake all night.

If that's the evidence you have, TBH I think you'd struggle on the "reasonable" aspect of trying to force a resolution through legal routes.

I showed your blog, threads and video to Mr E Snr who, when between F1 teams, did a stint at BMW on warranty and rejection claims. His view was, as this is a relatively minor issue (as opposed to life threatening at the other extreme), you've burned too many bridges to get the result you want (i.e. another vehicle, as per your blog).

I hope you do get to a place where you're happy - but in all honesty I don't think it's going to happen without costing you a lot personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom