Another W124 Super Turbo (Saloon)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They need to do a ce next or a 190e.

Must be crazy when the boost kicks in.

Needs standard bumpers and steels wheels IMHO.

The Ford F250 is much more interesting.

Also needs a rear-pointing camera to record faces of people you've just hurtled past.

You haven't thought this through; all it will record is that stupid cloud of black smoke.

When (if?) they make it less anti-social, I'll have a bit more respect for the conversion.

Yeah that black smoke really puts me off. I don't think that's avoidable with a mechanical pump though. More boost = bigger elements = tonnes of black smoke!

Wonder how you'd stand legally if for example you gave it a big boot on a motorway and caused a big crash due to the smoke ?

A la the fireworks crash on the m5 some time ago ?

Regarding the black smoke, if the throttle is used progressively rather than just flooring it, it wont smoke. Flooring the throttle wont make it go faster if the turbo isnt ready, hence the smoke.

I can get brutal aceleration out of mine without any smoke, throttle control is the key.

The standard bumper wont fit over the intercooler, believe me he's tried. It's also bloody dangerous on little 15" tyres.:D

Chip Foose would get it to fit .... in about 15 minutes on the TV :)

Why would 15" be dangerous? Obviously brake rotor diameter might be an issue.

Why would 15" be dangerous? Obviously brake rotor diameter might be an issue.

Tyres are simply to small to handle the power these are capable of. Might be good fun on a drift track for a few laps, but on the road just a crash waiting to happen.

Isn't tyre width more important than wheel/tyre diameter? It's surely this that determines how much rubber is in contact with the road. (iirc the Lamborghini Countach only had 15" wheels, but the width was 345.)

What's the greatest tyre width you can fit to the rear of a 124 without modifying the bodywork?

Isn't tyre width more important than wheel/tyre diameter? It's surely this that determines how much rubber is in contact with the road. (iirc the Lamborghini Countach only had 15" wheels, but the width was 345.)

What's the greatest tyre width you can fit to the rear of a 124 without modifying the bodywork?

Even a 225 or 245 in the rear isn't going to give you a large enough contact patch for the claimed power output.

A build like this puts out more low end torque that the high rev power band of the Countach.

I run sticky Kumho Ecsta XS 315's on 10" rims with heavily modified body work.
With about 390BHP and about the same low end torque it's easy to smoke the tires on a launch.

Cheers

Ed A.

Ed.. good to hear from you!

When I say 15" wheels, I'm referring to a w124 steel wheel with a 195/65/15 tyre.

I managed a 255 on the rear of mine, but I have seen wider.:cool:

I've got 265/35/18 on mine on the rears with no problems. I also tried CLS AMG wheels which had 285/35/19 on the rears and 255/40/19 up front and that was borderline rubbing on the inside.

Lol, bare in mind I have wider arches though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom