Another W215 story to pass the time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cakey

Car
cl500
Hi all. Hope you're all well. Here's my W215 story.
Six years ago I was driving an '04 525d SE, a good car but about as interesting as watching grass grow. I saw an edition of Top Gear in which Hammond and Clarkson each bought the best car they could for 6 grand. Hammond bought an 850i and Clarkson bought a 2000 CL600. The shape of the CL grabbed my attention and I decided that I wanted something similar and so, without doing any homework, I went and bought one.
A 2001 500CL showing 90,000 with a very limited service history and six previous owners but it was very clean, sounded very nice and drove very well. Air-con didn't work nor did one rear window, the rear rests also wouldn't return after being lowered. The car should have been a nightmare, but wasn't. I was ignorant, had no clue about what ABC repairs could entail, had no real idea about the car atall. In all the time I had it I never once checked the ABC fluid level, changed the fluid or filters. None of the struts or accumulators failed, no leaks and the "Visit Workshop" warning made only two very bief appearances. After owning it for some time I decided I wanted the facelift W215, different switches, tail lights, later CMD etc. I could't be bothered with going here and there trying to find a low mileage, FSH one or two owner car in my price range and so I did something I'd never done before. I bought a car, sight unseen from a sompany in the north east which deals in Jap imports. CL500 White with black indoors. Hot climate version. FSH, one owner from new, 28,000 milrs.8 grand. I was told the car was very nice and I would be pleasantly surprised. It was transported to me in west London for 200 quid. I could hardly believe my good fortune when I saw it. The car looked like it had just rolled out of the factory or a museum. It really was the closest thing I've ever had to a brand new car. Everthing worked, spotless alloys, new tyres, unused tool kit and spare. They had fitted a HUD because I guess they didn't know how to change the settings to miles etc. What did please me even more was that they hadn't bigged the car up. No mention was made of it having Bose or an electric rear blind. They had undersealed it, given it a minor service and put six months tax on it.
The Jap CMD is a bit of a pain but I don't need the sat nav or radio, I make an audio DVD with 500 tracks, randomise them and then burn them in NTSC format as one long mix. Sorted. At some stage I'll probably order an Android unit that looks almost the same as what's there already, plenty to choose from on Ali Express. The bad stuff? Lol! Wouldn't be a W215 story without any. After 200 miles I had to buy a battery. After 400 miles the ABC pump developed a leak. Shock, horror! Not really, bought a genuine MB pump rebuilt from Poland with filters for 275 quid, couple of hours labour and fluid from my friendly local garage. Love the car, firmer and more positive than my old one and the engine note is considerably nicer, more beefy. I've decided to keep it for the forseeable future. I've made up my mind that I'll suffer the ABC playing up twuce more and then I'll have a coil system fitted, sacrilege I know so hopefully it wont come to that.
I've attached a dew pics. The inteior is black although it does appear to be grey.
Hope I've helped pass a bit of time during these strange days we're going through.
Take care.

Attachments

• IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1940-1.jpg
    IMG_1940-1.jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1941-1.jpg
    IMG_1941-1.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1938.JPG
    IMG_1938.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1937.JPG
    IMG_1937.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1933.JPG
    IMG_1933.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1932.JPG
    IMG_1932.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1931.JPG
    IMG_1931.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 19
Welcome to the forum. It looks amazing. Nice find really.
I must say I hate such stories which make me look on the market for another one.
W215 is a fantastic grand tourer and I had a lot of fun driving it on autobahn. My Mrs didn't like it all and was saying she wasn't feeling comfortable in it so it had to go unfortunately. TBH it was difficult on several occasions to get in and out when she was in a dress or skirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom