Another watch thread...............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The one you have linked looks to be in quite a poor state as well as having no papers! The monaco is no doubt a beautiful piece. I would have no hesitation in buying a pre used one only if it was at the right price and of proven provenance. The Mcqueen version is stunning with its blue dial and further enhanced if you get one with the metal bracelet.

One which I am currently 'looking after' for a good friend of mine.

View attachment 84958

Perhaps a Tag Monza which is a lot less of a common sight (not that the monaco is common, but you know what I mean lol)

View attachment 84959

Is that a Sub and Daytona I spy there?

Stop it all of you - my watch envy is starting to flare up again.

Being recently retired, I've only just settled on the idea that I don't need a watch and rarely wear one (but still own a 2 tone Submariner (recently serviced for £800-00 :eek:)- purchased 20 years ago and my Tissot T touch purchased in 2005). However - I have always had a serious hankering for the Daytona, YachtMaster and Explorer. I know there are loads of really expensive watches out there but as a kid I always wanted a Rolex after reading about James Bond's submariner in the 60s (Thunderball) (yes JB was actually a Rolex wearer before product placement took over).

My son just got a Daytona & Yacht Master and every time I see them, I feel the green eyed monster stirring and you lot are not helping.....right now off to browse some of the sites recommended here.

Wow! £800 for a service? That's strong money for just a service.

Daytona prices are through the roof and even Explorer 2's are retailing at more than non date Subs and that's if you can find them new. Most places I've been to don't have much new stock. Even T5 at Heathrow is bare to how it used to be although Geneva airport has a few in stock.

I've fancied a black-faced Omega Seamaster for some time, but not enough to spend the money on one :)

I’ve just had my Tag (CK1112) serviced and fully refurbished for £500. It’s come back looking brand new and that’s not an over statement, Perpetual Time carried out the work if anyone’s looking to service their time piece. I’ve owned it 27 years now form new and much prefer it to my Daytona 116523 that I hankered after for two years that just sits on the winder locked away. Bit of a blue dial thing going on with my two watches

Thanks for that link. There is even a Steve Mcqueen one there for £1650. Pity it doesn't have box & papers.
I need to find out more about the movements as it seem they have to have changed over the years.

Having the box and papers are a bonus but not the end of the world. I've bought and sold (not in that ratio) plenty without boxes and paperwork. If you see something you like on chrono, watchfinder, hackett, etc then make an offer. They can only say no or compromise.

Daytona prices are through the roof and even Explorer 2's are retailing at more than non date Subs and that's if you can find them new. Most places I've been to don't have much new stock. Even T5 at Heathrow is bare to how it used to be although Geneva airport has a few in stock.

Yep but 20 years of bashing the Sub and it now look brand new - it was an expensive day because my wife's watch cost £600, it had never been serviced in about 18 years and was going strong as well. I like Rolex because they are so tough!

The Sub was my work / daily watch and never came off my arm even sleeping and showering etc except on the odd occasion that I wore something else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep my son couldn't get the exact Daytona he wanted and has another on backorder and apparently is is a long wait (probably send them all to the ME).

Yep but 20 years of bashing the Sub and it now look brand new - it was an expensive day because my wife's watch cost £600, it had never been serviced in about 18 years and was going strong as well. I like Rolex because they are so tough!

The Sub was my work / daily watch and never came off my arm even sleeping and showering etc except on the odd occasion that I wore something else.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't questioning you, I was questioning Rolex themselves. I had an Explorer 2 serviced in Sept 2016 and that was £430 while my Explorer was £380 and that included changing the dial to a white one. These were through RSC in St James Sq. I did hear that the service prices went up to £600 for day/dates and slightly cheaper for non date pieces but £800 is taking it to new high. Did they do the usual obligatory pitch that it needed new hands as well?

Yep my son couldn't get the exact Daytona he wanted and has another on backorder and apparently is is a long wait (probably send them all to the ME).

The Daytona look to be a good investment depending on how much it was bought for of course. I know the dealers have a mark up on them but have you seen what they are going for? I imagine the waiting list for new is years and not months.

Rolex Daytona Watches | Watchfinder & Co.

Hackett Watches | Rolex: Daytona

I've just had a no date Sub and an Explorer 2 serviced by my local independent watchmaker. I've been wearing the Sub since I got it back and it's currently the most accurate it's ever been in nearly 25 years. The cost for the pair of them was £380, which I was very impressed with.

On the other hand, this one was done by Rolex: -

Invoice.jpg

A bit of a difference though, to be fair, they did refurbish the bracelet and case. They also wanted to change the bezel. :eek:

It's taken years to get faded like it is, no way I want a new shiny thing on it. :D

Don't get me wrong I wasn't questioning you, I was questioning Rolex themselves. I had an Explorer 2 serviced in Sept 2016 and that was £430 while my Explorer was £380 and that included changing the dial to a white one. These were through RSC in St James Sq. I did hear that the service prices went up to £600 for day/dates and slightly cheaper for non date pieces but £800 is taking it to new high. Did they do the usual obligatory pitch that it needed new hands as well?
Didn't think you were (funny how not seeing a face saying something can convey the wrong message) ! It needed a new crown and crystal......or they would not guarantee the watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to laugh at that and I understand why you want it left original :thumb:

They over polish them and do all sorts on nonsense (which is why I avoid services) - mine was services 2x in 20 years and my wife's 1 x in about 15 years and they were both going fine & keeping good time. These 2 were our daily wear watches and they never come off our arms - eat sleep, shower etc - so my wife's watch for all intent and purpose has not stopped ticking for 15 years.

We decided to give them the last service (that we will pay for) before we kick bucket :rolleyes:.

My son was telling me that the theoretically, the newer units need less servicing - better lubricants bearings etc.

Mistake/Fail/Idiot Award help please.

I attempted to replace the battery on my Wife’s Tag. A small gold clip/strip pinged out from under where the battery locates. I managed to find it and keep it but it is tiny. So I taped it to some sellotape and placed it in the box with the old battery etc.

My guess is it is a conductor plate. But I need a Tag person who will repair without remortgaging for me?

I am in Kent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A small tip, if you buy a Rolex without box/papers then having it officially serviced it is returned with official paperwork proving authenticity so you get peace of mind, service and an increase in resale value.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

A small tip, if you buy a Rolex without box/papers then having it officially serviced it is returned with official paperwork proving authenticity so you get peace of mind, service and an increase in resale value.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
This is also the case with Breitling, as I've experienced in the past.

I attempted to replace the battery on my Wife’s Tag. A small gold clip/strip pinged out from under where the battery locates. I managed to find it and keep it but it is tiny. So I taped it to some sellotape and placed it in the box with the old battery etc.

My guess is it is a conductor plate. But I need a Tag person who will repair without remortgaging for me?

I am in Kent.

Any high street watch repairer will do it. There's nothing mysterious about a quartz watch. You have already lost the waterproofing on it by D-I-Y. That's the only difference between sending it off to LVMH (and taking weeks and many £££) or calling in at Timpsons or any other similar place.

I am in Kent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your have a Debenhams store near you, (Bluewater perhaps), They usually have a Watch Repair agent. I had the battery changed on my Citizen waterproof watch and they resealed and tested the watch after changing the battery and didn't cost an arm & a leg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom