Another what car next thread ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nat

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55, 911t, 3dr Cosworth, MT 10.
After the wifes SLK200 written off last month from a low speed impact with an Audi A4 - Audi clearly won - I need to find her another car. I unintentionally sold my CLK Derv yesterday even though that was something I wasn't looking to do until I'd found her a replacement. No man points won here as her work colleague picked her up this morning :eek:

Next car choices for me while trying to stick to the brand I like (would have to be petrol because of the 6 miles work daily commute) and be an ML350/500, a CLK Sport rag top (but not the £540 car tax MY's - which does limit the engine size after 06 plates) and lastly maybe an SL, as her preference is a tin top.

I know she'd like another SLK but the way the other one crumpled at about 10mph puts me off the idea.

She had a test drive in a demo Mini Cooper S at the weekend although I'd arranged for it to be in a 10 plate Works car (wouldn't let her drive it on her own as it wasn't taxed) and then drove an X3 petrol and liked them both. Both cars in the £20k's so no chance that will happen for 6 miles a day. I hear nothing but horror stories on Minis.

The CLK's seem good value for money apart from the current summer premiums. I'm borrowing a CLK280 convertible for the rest of the week for her to drive but one things put me off it. It's an 07 and £540 to tax and the guy is looking to sell it but at 5.5k. Yeah I know it's only another £xyz a month more but when the car gets to been worth £2k or so trying to sell it on when the tax is worth 25/30/35 % of the cars value just seems crazy to me.

I did briefly look at E class soft tops but don't want to spend £10k as only want to throw up to £6k at something.

Any other suggestions to throw at me or should I just bite the bullet and let her have her first choice of another SLK? As for her using my 55? No chance ...

A friend's wife had a relatively low speed crash in a (BMW) Mini Cooper and it didn't protect her especially well. We had Cooper S on our test car fleet when it first came out. FWIW I didn't like it much. Good acceleration and grip, but I thought the actual handling was poor. Could have been a poor example I guess, but I'm not a fan.

Reactions: Nat
ladies don't tend to care about what car they drive, just get her a Kia Picanto, she can run it to the ground or crash it into things or people she doesn't like and it wouldn't hurt the pocket :D

ladies don't tend to care what car they drive, just get her a Kia Picanto :D she can run it to the ground and it wouldn't hurt the pocket

Would be divorced very quickly if I tried that! She even has strong views on what I drive

A friend's wife had a relatively low speed crash in a (BMW) Mini Cooper and it didn't protect her especially well. We had Cooper S on our test car fleet when it first came out. FWIW I didn't like it much. Good acceleration and grip, but I thought the actual handling was poor. Could have been a poor example I guess, but I'm not a fan.

Thanks for your feedback. I'd already made my mind up that they don't really make good examples and this just strengthens my thoughts of them. Showroom was plush with even a Mini logo on the bottled waters. What, what, what :D

ladies don't tend to care what car they drive, just get her a Kia Picanto :D she can run it to the ground and it wouldn't hurt the pocket

You'd see my name in obituaries if I done that :eek:

my friend had the cheek to buy his wife a £100 Ford Ka as a runabout and she didn't speak to him for weeks :D

anyway, something a little more constructive, my friend is a mini fan, he's had so many minis i have lost count and i don't think he can remember it all either. The old ones were fine but the newer ones (after BMW had taken over) he had to keep going back to the dealers, nothing but trouble.

When you say "it didn't protect her especially well" does that mean she was injured and the crumple zone protection did not do its job or do you mean that her car was all crumpled up and written off compared to the third party?

Also with the SLK, surely with modern day cars, they are designed to crumple and destruct at the first sign of impact, to absorb the kinetic energy thus minimise any potential harm to the occupants. The downside of course is that the minimal amount of impact can write off a car if it's seen the best part of its depreciation already.

ladies don't tend to care about what car they drive, just get her a Kia Picanto, she can run it to the ground or crash it into things or people she doesn't like and it wouldn't hurt the pocket :D
Are you saying that my Mrs isn't a lady?

...or should I just bite the bullet and let her have her first choice of another SLK?
Frankly, that's the wisest option on multiple levels:
  1. The R171 SLK is a pretty reliable beast and you'll be familiar with what you're looking at when you view a potential purchase
  2. She wants another one
  3. If you get anything else, she won't be happy with it (see #2, above)

Also with the SLK, surely with modern day cars, they are designed to crumple and destruct at the first sign of impact, to absorb the kinetic energy thus minimise any potential harm to the occupants. The downside of course is that the minimal amount of impact can write off a car if it's seen the best part of its depreciation already.

Fair statement and I see where you are coming from with it.

Frankly, that's the wisest option on multiple levels:
  1. The R171 SLK is a pretty reliable beast and you'll be familiar with what you're looking at when you view a potential purchase
  2. She wants another one
  3. If you get anything else, she won't be happy with it (see #2, above)

True

Audi TT? If a coupe its more practical than an SLK and generally lower emissions than the 3ltr Mercs.

SL's are a very different beast to SLK's. Much bigger, and more of a cruiser.

Crashing is just yer "Donald Duck" at the end of the day.. an ex girl friend of mine crashed in a 5mph nose to tail traffic, the car was a mini and although looked salvageable it had twisted the chassis.. in a corner to corner minor bump. It was so bad that you could put the offside wheel down and the nearside wheel rear would lift off the road.. and yet it looked perfectly repairable. Yet my mates "Lockerbie" styled Beetle (New Shape - "wreckage for 3 miles" ) was repaired and it was a high speed impact (texting when he shouldn't so I was told and "Angela" - his wife, is a serious WWF contender (BIG Fecker) , took his phone off him and made him sleep in the shed as punishment, hes a truck driver and should have known better..) So before I get flamed, its the style of bump I'm referring to and not root cause.

When you say "it didn't protect her especially well" does that mean she was injured and the crumple zone protection did not do its job or do you mean that her car was all crumpled up and written off compared to the third party?

She was injured and hospitalised. The crumple zones crumpled etc. (I do get all that BTW). The car was a write off, but in my view barely did its job. Apparently the folks in the other car stepped out and walked away. I don't remember what it was.

Audi TT? If a coupe its more practical than an SLK and generally lower emissions than the 3ltr Mercs.

Thanks. Sensible suggestions. I started looking at them to find out she doesn't like them :wallbash:

SL's are a very different beast to SLK's. Much bigger, and more of a cruiser.

I think you're right. Good for cruising and not really ideal for a small daily commuting.

Any other suggestions to throw at me or should I just bite the bullet and let her have her first choice of another SLK? As for her using my 55? No chance ...

Let the wife have a choice of car...how ridiculous. Or, are you being a bit...ridiculous?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom