Another what tyre thread...ML63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bert_W164

Car
ML (W164)
Hi,

My car passed its MOT today (yay) but with advisories that a couple of tyres are next to limit, and sods law one in front, one in rear...

It's best I just change all four.

My go to are Uniroyal Rain Sport 3, or Eagle F1s, but with the weight of the ML and it having more grunt than my previous cars I'm wondering if I should be going for something a bit harder and not so quick wearing...

In terms of my driving style, I'm not kissing the apex and pro drifting as it's a SUV, though I do love a grippy tyre that can take advantage of the AWD launching abilities.

In terms of budget, really it's a case of what's needed for the car to be safe as opposed to a fixed figure...

Edit: The ML will not be used in snow or ice, I don't bother driving in those conditions/am working from home until summer next year and possibly beyond...so use conditions are rain and dry weather.

Any recommendations?

Hi,

My car passed its MOT today (yay) but with advisories that a couple of tyres are next to limit, and sods law one in front, one in rear...

It's best I just change all four.

My go to are Uniroyal Rain Sport 3, or Eagle F1s, but with the weight of the ML and it having more grunt than my previous cars I'm wondering if I should be going for something a bit harder and not so quick wearing...

In terms of my driving style, I'm not kissing the apex and pro drifting as it's a SUV, though I do love a grippy tyre that can take advantage of the AWD launching abilities.

In terms of budget, really it's a case of what's needed for the car to be safe as opposed to a fixed figure...

Edit: The ML will not be used in snow or ice, I don't bother driving in those conditions/am working from home until summer next year and possibly beyond...so use conditions are rain and dry weather.

Any recommendations?
Having covered far too many miles in ML63s over the many years we’ve run them, I’ve had plenty of opportunities to try different manufacturers (Continental and Michelin), and also tyres specified by Mercedes, Porsche and Audi,

i have concluded that Pirelli Pzero as specified by Audi are the the best blend of qualities for me, and so we have the on both of ours (in Summer) - they both wear the same tyre size too (21 inch wheels).

Which wheels and tyre sizes do you have? The W164 came with 19, 20 and 21 inch wheel options, so there’s quite a variety!

Well for a hard wearing tyre on a heavy mercedes the tyre to buy is Nexen,they are also quiet cheap,of course these tyre threads tend to be long winded ones but if you do not drive like a failed F1 driver,then Nexen will do the job.

Cheers both, I have the 20" wheels.
295/40/20

Last edited:
Cheers both, I have the 20" wheels.
295/40/20
I do have set of 20” inch wheels but I’ve only used them with (Continental) winter tyres, so I can’t comment specifically on that tyre size. I do still have two good Yokohama tyres in that size in the garage somewhere though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom