Another winter tyre thread (sorry/not sorry)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sgregory124

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63S
Afternoon all,

Yes this is another thread about winter tyres so apologies about that...

Please for the sake of my sanity could anyone who already owns a set of winter tyres for their W205 C63S (staggered sizes for the OEM 19” wheels) tell me what you have and where you got them from?

I ask because I’m getting mixed messages from the places I’ve been checking. The Pirelli Performance Centre in Burton say they can’t supply the right combination of tyres/load rating to fit, checking Pirelli directly shows they produce the 245/35/19’s in Winter SottoZero form but not the 265/35/19’s (although I swear blind I saw them on their website a few weeks ago).

I find this really bizarre given a video I watched about the place has them swapping a full set of Winter tyres supplied by them off of a McLaren - surely more exotic than a C63?

Michelin’s site states they make both sizes in Pilot Alpin 4’s (result!) but with differing load ratings between front and rear – is this a massive problem given I won’t be going hell for leather on them??

Searches on blackcircles.com and the like seem to produce different result every time I check, which is getting really annoying.

I’ll listen to anyone at this stage so any and all advice is massively appreciated!

Thanks,
Simon

I found the same problem with a previous vehicle (not Mercedes). It seems that tyre manufacturers stop/start ranging certain sizes in the same tyre quite frequently. I had Michelin Alpins on one winter and the following winter was told "they don't make them in that size" despite the evidence right by our feet.

have a look at mytyres - I can find the correct ones for my e63s :

1602616497253.png

So the winter tyres for mine are rated with the same rating as the summer MO1 so you might have more luck there ...

If the load rating is different I would check in which regard because I cannot see anyone to put maximum load on tyres during winter times.

And as you can see - the load rating IS different between rear and front - especially when staggered ..

Have a look at the attached PDF - that should give you an idea about the tyres Mercedes would use ..

Attachments

• Approved wheel AMG 205.287.pdf
    112.2 KB · Views: 10
Here's an off-the-wall suggestion.

Ebay will sell you sets of C63 wheels and good quality winter tyres from Germany for around £1700.

Winter tyres are far more common in Germany, for practical and regulatory reasons. When the vehicle is eventually sold, the winter wheels & tyres are often sold separately.

Have a look. Obviously go for pukka wheels wearing pukka tyres.

It's far more sensible to have a separate set of wheels and tyres, than to go through a process of swopping tyres once a year.

Ebay will sell you sets of C63 wheels and good quality winter tyres from Germany for around £1700.

Winter tyres are far more common in Germany, for practical and regulatory reasons. When the vehicle is eventually sold, the winter wheels & tyres are often sold separately.

It's far more sensible to have a separate set of wheels and tyres, than to go through a process of swopping tyres once a year.

This is what I do. It also affords me the opportunity to refurb my wheels every couple of years without too much inconvenience (particularly when the donor vehicle is an estate!).

Afternoon all,

Please for the sake of my sanity could anyone who already owns a set of winter tyres for their W205 C63S (staggered sizes for the OEM 19” wheels) tell me what you have and where you got them from?

I ask because I’m getting mixed messages from the places I’ve been checking. The Pirelli Performance Centre in Burton say they can’t supply the right combination of tyres/load rating to fit, checking Pirelli directly shows they produce the 245/35/19’s in Winter SottoZero form but not the 265/35/19’s (although I swear blind I saw them on their website a few weeks ago).

I find this really bizarre given a video I watched about the place has them swapping a full set of Winter tyres supplied by them off of a McLaren - surely more exotic than a C63?

Michelin’s site states they make both sizes in Pilot Alpin 4’s (result!) but with differing load ratings between front and rear – is this a massive problem given I won’t be going hell for leather on them??

Searches on blackcircles.com and the like seem to produce different result every time I check, which is getting really annoying.

I’ll listen to anyone at this stage so any and all advice is massively appreciated!

Thanks,
Simon
McLaren is relatively unusual as Pirelli and McLaren have a very close relationship, and work together to refine the spec on all tyre fitments, both Summer and Winter.

Lamborghini do too, and one or two other car manufacturers. Whereas Mercedes and most others work with different tyre manufacturers for different fitments and seasons.

For one of my cars Mercedes specified Summer tyres with Michelin and Winter tyres with Pirelli. Pirelli make Summer tyres in the same size, specified by other car manufacturers.

I don't disagree that spare wheels and tyres would be the best option but its way more than I wanted to spend. Particularly as i'll need to spend another £800-£1000 in the spring for a new set of summer tyres (my current Pilot Super Sport's are worn out at the rear and on their way out at the front as it is). I'm not hugely bothered about switching tyres once a year, it's not like I won't be getting a set of rears every 12 months given how fast I anticipate they'll wear out with the mileage I do anyway....

have a look at mytyres - I can find the correct ones for my e63s :

View attachment 103538

So the winter tyres for mine are rated with the same rating as the summer MO1 so you might have more luck there ...

If the load rating is different I would check in which regard because I cannot see anyone to put maximum load on tyres during winter times.

And as you can see - the load rating IS different between rear and front - especially when staggered ..

Have a look at the attached PDF - that should give you an idea about the tyres Mercedes would use ..
Cheers for that - very informative. I've actually contacted Michelin directly questioning the differing load ratings, with any luck i'll get a reply in a few days 'from the horses mouth' as it were :)

And to further complicate matters, this is the response I got from Michelin this morning:

"Regarding your question.

You are always able to go higher with the speed and load index, however going lower with the load is not something we recommend.

Unfortunately we have only lower load index winter tyres available in sizes 265/35 R19 98Y and 245/35 R19 93Y, and therefore we regret to inform you that we cannot recommend winter tyres for your vehicle."

This shouldn't be this hard....

Also - it now looks like my choice is Continental or nothing after another quick internet lookup, so i'm waiting for a call back from my preferred fitter and see what they say.

Continental didn't rate badly on the most recent tyrereviews.co.uk winter tyre review.

The chap from tyrereviews says that all-season tyres are most suitable for snow-free winter work in the UK.

Continental didn't rate badly on the most recent tyrereviews.co.uk winter tyre review.

The chap from tyrereviews says that all-season tyres are most suitable for snow-free winter work in the UK.
That's probably fair. I've used (and loved) Michelin Cross Climates when my time has been split between the Yorkshire Dales and the South Coast but when I have been mostly up on the Dales I have used full winters - again mostly Michelin Alpins but also Pirelli Sottozeros which MB seem to prefer over Michelin.

That's probably fair. I've used (and loved) Michelin Cross Climates when my time has been split between the Yorkshire Dales and the South Coast but when I have been mostly up on the Dales I have used full winters - again mostly Michelin Alpins but also Pirelli Sottozeros which MB seem to prefer over Michelin.

I absolutely agree with you there, with regards to the winters. Whilst I haven't tried the cross climates, I have had both sottozeros and alpin 4 (which I'll probably have forever as they wear so well!) and the sottozeros outperformed them from the drivers seat. The feel was better.

Reactions: hgb

Ah now, I can pretty much guarantee the tyres I get will need to be full winter's as they almost guaranteed to see snow under them. The 'almost' factor is whether or not the French will let us in in January, at which point i'll be driving to the Alps......

The search continues!

It's not an
Ah now, I can pretty much guarantee the tyres I get will need to be full winter's as they almost guaranteed to see snow under them. The 'almost' factor is whether or not the French will let us in in January, at which point i'll be driving to the Alps......

The search continues!
i see you live in Derbyshire too - depending upon where abouts I suspect the likelihood of seeing snow at home is fairly high too!

It's not an

i see you live in Derbyshire too - depending upon where abouts I suspect the likelihood of seeing snow at home is fairly high too!
I'm actually on the border with Notts in an urban bit but I don't disagree, we tend to see a spot of the white stuff now and then alright.

Afternoon all,

Thanks,
Simon
Hello Simon. Sorry for the late reply, I've only just joined the forum (be gentle everybody, I'm off-piste with a BMW at the moment!). On my new C63S Coupe I bought the factory supplied OEM complete winter wheel and tyre package via my dealer. These fit the current 63/63S C Class model range (designation 205). MB use the standard wheel design that comes on the car if you don’t choose the 19/20” option when you buy the car. I ran mine on 19/20's for spring/summer. Size is 255/35 R19 front and 285/30 R19 rear. The tyres are Pirelli Sotto Zero. I did less than 2,000 miles on mine and in my (non-expert) opnion they're worth it but an expensive option from MB. I'm actually going to get shot of the C63 winters as I changed the car and I need the space. I've run all my AMG's on winters, including a CLS63S where I still have the wheels and tyres and a couple of late model GLE63S. Hope the information is helpful. All the best, David

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply David, all info greatfully received. I opted not to get winters this year given that my trip to the Alps in January has been in doubt for a while given the Covid situation and was finally cancelled last month. The other reason was that I could only find one brand that had the correct size available to fit a staggered setup - which was Continental if I remember correctly (i'd have bought any of the major brands to be honest). That was after speaking with Pirelli and Michelin who only make one of the sizes but not the other. I also contacted Mercedes who never bothered to get back to me....

Anyway, it looks like I won't be using the car a whole lot between now and spring so i'll wait to get the winters for next year and save the dosh!

Thanks for the reply David, all info greatfully received. I opted not to get winters this year given that my trip to the Alps in January has been in doubt for a while given the Covid situation and was finally cancelled last month. The other reason was that I could only find one brand that had the correct size available to fit a staggered setup - which was Continental if I remember correctly (i'd have bought any of the major brands to be honest). That was after speaking with Pirelli and Michelin who only make one of the sizes but not the other. I also contacted Mercedes who never bothered to get back to me....

Anyway, it looks like I won't be using the car a whole lot between now and spring so i'll wait to get the winters for next year and save the dosh!
Sounds sensible. I think we're all in the same boat, Simon, but not the worst thing given what's happened this year. It's the straightest I've kept my cars (no salt, dirt, stone chips, pot holes) in many a long year whilst they've been locked down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom