ANPR - Automatic Number Plate Readers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flip

http://www.pito.org.uk/what_we_do/identification/anpr.htm

I have seen this system in action and it is fantastic! :D

Checks passing vehicles on a number of databases and flags up all sorts of information, such as those used in crime, stolen, untaxed, used by disqualified drivers etc etc

The cameras themselves look like radar guns, and when mounted in vans appear to be mobile speed checks (so passing cars slow down, making the plate-reading easier).

The arrests that come out of an anpr site seem to be "quality" (burglary, drugs, disqualified drivers) and the cops love it.

So although it might look like a mobile speed camera, it could just be ANPR (the give away is ANPR has a "Stop Team" further down the road).

And only the bad guys have something to worry about!!!

:bannana:

Catches those whose should be stopped for avoiding road tax, insurance or worse, which is good.

Could give a heart attach thinking it's just got you for speeding, but things that give you a little warning and make you slow down without you actually getting booked aren't a bad idea either.

Just got to look out for those Laser equiped Plod Bikers in Northamptonshire......

After a very frustrating queue on the expressway around runcorn and over the bridge, I finally got to the M62 and absolutely belted down the sliproad onto the motorway and made my way through the trucks etc into the outside lane. I looked up at the next bridge and for each lane was a policeman and a camera. I lifted off the gas pedal, but still past them going possibly just a tiny amount over the speed limit ;) . I assumed I would be done, but I later found out that they were the special cameras for checking licence plates. I have also seen those cameras in use in Chorley at the Botany Bay junction of the M61.

Shude said:
I have also seen those cameras in use in Chorley at the Botany Bay junction of the M61.

There were just before the bridge at m60 heywood junc 19 looking towards Middleton last week.

great idea but scared the s**t out of me at first as I generally wizz along that road up to the motorway! I imagine a few from Mid were copped!

steve_bcs said:
I imagine a few from Mid were copped!
surely not, middleton's lovely - particularly langley! ;)

simonl said:
surely not, middleton's lovely - particularly langley! ;)
Yeah ok, dont go there in your car there and expect to have wheels on it after.

:D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom