ANPR Big Brother and your privacy, well you have none...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olivier

MB Enthusiast
Car
E300 TD
Here is something really dark and scary with those Automatic Number Plate Recognition...
They are now everywhere...
I Edinburgh, I called the Council about it and ask the reason why they were popping out everywhere as I am concern about my privacy, the reply was:
Its for the traffic management, nothing to worry about it, the data are deleted after 3 hours...

Well, that is a blatant lie and I do not agree been recorded on my whereabouts 24/7.
Quote from the WIKI:
Police and security services use it to track UK vehicle movements in real time. The resulting data are stored for 2 years in the National ANPR Data Center to be analyzed for intelligence and to be used as evidence
Police-enforced ANPR in the UK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And do not start lecturing me on:
"Well , if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear..."
To those that are so happy to have no privacy, please give me your home keys, passwords and bank details, I just like to look into your private life from time to time, its OK, there is nothing to fear... :p

Then I bumped into this site. This look like a good product. Its not for you to speed, nor driving like a mad man/ woman, its just to be a wee more privacy from the guy behind his desk looking into your "privates"life :eek: .
Stealthplate | Home

What do you people think of those?

Olivier

Last edited:
I don't see ANPR and CCTV as a problem. To catch those that break the law and deter others from misbehaving is a good thing.

I can't comprehend the invasion of privacy thing. I'm sure the authorities aren't in the slightest bit interested in the movements of law abiding citizens. If one behaves, what is the problem?

It'll mean an instant pull from the first ANPR equipped car you drive past, possibly involving rubber gloves.

To Ringway,
This is pure propaganda

I do not like been under surveillance 24/7, if you do, well, so be it.

It is well known that camera do not stop crimes or people that break the laws, their only purposes are surveillance of the populations, nothing else.

The speed cameras are just a cash cow, even the police chief said they do not stop anything. The safest town in the UK is the one that stop using them, are you aware of that?

Anyway, this was not a post about speeding.

Rubber gloves ... EEK!

"Be aware that the use of this product on the road may be illegal and it is sold only for track & display use on private property"--quoted from their website. As hinted at above-- if you want to become a " person of interest" buying one of these number plate thingy's may well do the trick. :(

Last edited:
Use of the plates leads to a 'perverting the course of justice' IIRC. Nice, but only if you want to share a cell with the Murdoch's journos.

Like the OP though, I'm not fond of this surveillence culture. I'm not a criminal and therefore don't need to be watched as though I am.

Like any of these surveillance measures the baddies will always find a way of beating the system. Cloned registration plate would be a pretty simple workaround for them in escaping ANPR.

Using this stuff is a big No. The first Police Car equipped with ANPR, that gets behind you and you are nicked my son.

Also how do you know it works? You could hardly ask a Policeman if he would mind having a look on his ANPR camera to see if he can read it.

Similar to those who have taken to removing their front plates in a futile bid to avoid detection, I suspect that you risk greater penalties than you fear were to to use this.

Here is something really dark and scary with those Automatic Number Plate Recognition...
They are now everywhere...

Well, that is a blatant lie and I do not agree been recorded on my whereabouts 24/7.

It is well known that camera do not stop crimes or people that break the laws, their only purposes are surveillance of the populations, nothing else.

The speed cameras are just a cash cow, even the police chief said they do not stop anything. The safest town in the UK is the one that stop using them, are you aware of that?

Anyway, this was not a post about speeding.

So if it's not speeding, and it's not crime prevention, or catching people who break the law, then what the heck is the population doing that is worthy of surveillence, everywhere, 24/7?

:dk:

I'd much rather have my whereabouts potentially logged and surveillance used to help solve crimes, then not be logged and countless crimes made exponentially more difficult to solve.

All these cameras gathering data is a bit like the IT security at my old place of work. Every single keystroke or mouse click from every single workstation or laptop was constantly logged. When the IT manager was asked what was done with all this info he simply said nothing at all. "If you think I'm looking at hours and hours of crap...." The only time anyone will have any interest in the data gathered is if there is an incident or suspected breach of protocol.

Those that complain about an invasion of privacy have a massively over-inflated opinion of their own importance... You are not that interesting!!

Just IMHO of course! Which carries no weight with, or engenders any interest in, 99.99% of readers

Last edited:
And do not start lecturing me on:
"Well , if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear..."
To those that are so happy to have no privacy, please give me your home keys, passwords and bank details, I just like to look into your private life from time to time, its OK, there is nothing to fear... :p

That's a stupid argument. You are driving around in a public place - not in some private world where no one else knows you're there. There's many other ways to prove you were there if the question ever came up - shopping records, public accounts etc. CCTV/ANPR is just an addition to that. Deal with it, forget about it, and carry on living your life.

H I called the Council about it and ask the reason why they were popping out everywhere as I am concern about my privacy, the reply was:
Its for the traffic management, nothing to worry about it, the data are deleted after 3 hours...

Quote from the WIKI:
Police and security services use it to track UK vehicle movements in real time. The resulting data are stored for 2 years in the National ANPR Data Center to be analyzed for intelligence and to be used as evidence
Police-enforced ANPR in the UK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

Not all ANPR cameras you see are run by the council.

Not all ANPR cameras that you see are run by the police.

Indeed one of the biggest networks of ANPR cameras in this country (and the oldest) is run by Trafficmaster (the blue ones you see at the side of the road) and they certainly don't use the data for anything other than monitoring traffic flow.

The police run ANPR cameras tend to be deployed on a force by force basis so in most areas, the data never leaves the forces own data centre. There is certainly no "national" database for this sort of stuff (even though the Met sometimes forget that they don't rule the whole country)

So there is a very good chance that the council are right and you are wrong here but just to prove the point, why not raise a FOI request forcing them to disclose all the data they really hold on your registration plate?

Or when they come back saying nothing is held (because it is indeed only held for 3 hours) will you claim a cover up?

I can't comprehend the invasion of privacy thing. I'm sure the authorities aren't in the slightest bit interested in the movements of law abiding citizens. If one behaves, what is the problem?

Who are the authorities but a collection of employees (i.e. individuals)?

Would you want me to track everything you do? Would it be more acceptable if I worked for a large entity?

M.

"The National ANPR Infrastructure (NAI) comprises two core elements:

a Back Office Facility (BOF) within each police force
a single centralised National ANPR Data Centre (NADC)"

NPIA: Automatic Number Plate Recognition

"The NPIA is a non-departmental public body (NDPB) sponsored and funded by the Home Office. It is police-owned and police-led; with representation on the National Policing Board and an executive leadership drawn from the police service."

NPIA: Our People

I thought there was a national database for this sort of thing

Last edited:
Who are the authorities but a collection of employees (i.e. individuals)?

Would you want me to track everything you do? Would it be more acceptable if I worked for a large entity?

M.

If I was a terrorist meeting other like minded individuals with a plan to take out a shopping centre, then no.

If I was a terrorist meeting other like minded individuals with a plan to take out a shopping centre, then no.

We're on a very slippery slope, because there is no political will, due mostly to pc considerations, we're all being tracked, instead of just those who are suspects.
It's rather like the blanket campaign regarding HIV back in the 90s, the vast majority were at no risk but were targeted, rather than just targeting those at risk.....it cost more than it needed to and possibly cost lives in the risk sectors.
I pose no risk but my movements are recorded, those who wish to hide their movements can't be that stupid they'll allow themselves to be tracked.
What this country desperately needs is less government, less state, less local authority, less DVLA.....cutting out some of this surveillance will be a great place to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom