ANPR Big Brother and your privacy, well you have none...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Who are the authorities but a collection of employees (i.e. individuals)?

Would you want me to track everything you do? Would it be more acceptable if I worked for a large entity?

M.

You can track me anytime you like. I'm a law abiding citizen, so why would it bother me?

Just last week I wore a ladies wig after being coerced to do so by the young (and Mrs) Ringway's. As a dare, I went out in the street wearing it. I quite liked the look apart from my stubble. There! You are tracking me now! :)

If one has nothing to hide, why worry about hiding it? As already said, the only time evidence would be used is if necessary to uphold the law. That is no bad thing.

There seem to be some very paranoid people about.

I don't have a problem with ANPR, providing that no speed tax collector is attached.

You can track me anytime you like. I'm a law abiding citizen, so why would it bother me?

Just last week I wore a ladies wig after being coerced to do so by the young (and Mrs) Ringway's. As a dare, I went out in the street wearing it. I quite liked the look apart from my stubble. There! You are tracking me now! :)

If one has nothing to hide, why worry about hiding it? As already said, the only time evidence would be used is if necessary to uphold the law. That is no bad thing.

So you wouldn't mind me placing a couple of cameras in your house ? (or on the street, looking into your windows?)

Similarly, though you may be a law abiding citizen, what's to say that the person doing the "looking" is? There are a plethora of recorded cases of the "watchers" (be it police/council/etc) overstepping their duty for alternative gain.

Say I were a burglar - what better way that to be hired by those managing the ANPR database? After a short time, I would be able to tell you exactly what houses were empty and estimate how long they would be empty for by tracking your movements.

M.

So you wouldn't mind me placing a couple of cameras in your house ? (or on the street, looking into your windows?)

Similarly, though you may be a law abiding citizen, what's to say that the person doing the "looking" is? There are a plethora of recorded cases of the "watchers" (be it police/council/etc) overstepping their duty for alternative gain.

Say I were a burglar - what better way that to be hired by those managing the ANPR database? After a short time, I would be able to tell you exactly what houses were empty and estimate how long they would be empty for by tracking your movements.

M.

There will always be unscrupulous people in positions of trust, but they are a small minority and will usually be caught out eventually.

If there was CCTV on every street I'd be happy. It would reduce crime and anyone stupid enough to commit an offence (in disguise or not) would be trackable.

I don't worry about being burgled. Quite a safe area, there's always someone in at home, we have two dogs and then me, in that wig. ;)

We did have an incident of crime on our road a few years back where a number of cars were scratched. One car, a black MX5 was very badly scratched and the lady owner was shaken by this I'm sure. If CCTV had been in operation, I doubt the crime would have been commited.

It's not different to some dodgy fellow at the DVLA using it to find the perfect car to steal, or someone at a holiday shop using the details to rob a house when people are on holiday. Abuse of a system doesn't mean we should not have it in the first place - it just means in needs to be staffed appropriately.

If there was CCTV on every street I'd be happy. It would reduce crime and anyone stupid enough to commit an offence (in disguise or not) would be trackable.

If CCTV had been in operation, I doubt the crime would have been commited.

Did you see the 1M been stolen on you tube? Ask any fuel station if cctv works. .

even if you fitted the "show Plates" as mentioned before you'd be given far more interest than one ANPR camera would. But the big thing is if someone else clones your plates you get the fines associated with it "panorama" did a show recently i think very difficult to prove it wasn't you

Don't have a real problem with it yet but that's based on our laws staying pretty much the same as they are. I find folk who pull out phones and record arguments and then post them on YouTube more annoying.

Conspiracists tend to forget that surveilance procedures are there to protect the innocent more than to trap the guilty.

The "invasion of privacy" argument is just ludicrous - you want to drive around in public, but not be seen by any council official or police employee?

I don't know the specifics of the April Jones case, but if CCTV/ANPR helped to track the abductor/murderer, then I hold my "Thank you, big brother" flag up and waving high.

Privacy is privacy. I'm fully formed in the gentlemans sausage department but I'd rather not have some oik peering over my shoulder whilst I take a wizz just to ensure I'm not a chipolata size.

Same applies to my movements in my daily life.

Governments need to be small, not big like my gentlemans sausage.

Here is something really dark and scary with those Automatic Number Plate Recognition...
They are now everywhere...
I Edinburgh, I called the Council about it and ask the reason why they were popping out everywhere as I am concern about my privacy, the reply was:
Its for the traffic management, nothing to worry about it, the data are deleted after 3 hours...

Well, that is a blatant lie and I do not agree been recorded on my whereabouts 24/7.
Quote from the WIKI:
Police and security services use it to track UK vehicle movements in real time. The resulting data are stored for 2 years in the National ANPR Data Center to be analyzed for intelligence and to be used as evidence
Police-enforced ANPR in the UK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And do not start lecturing me on:
"Well , if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear..."
To those that are so happy to have no privacy, please give me your home keys, passwords and bank details, I just like to look into your private life from time to time, its OK, there is nothing to fear... :p

Then I bumped into this site. This look like a good product. Its not for you to speed, nor driving like a mad man/ woman, its just to be a wee more privacy from the guy behind his desk looking into your "privates"life :eek: .
Stealthplate | Home

What do you people think of those?

Olivier

Council Traffic management cameras have nothing to do with ANPR cameras monitored by the Police.

Council cameras 'monitor' traffic flow and that is all they do.

ANPR cameras is a different setup altogether.

ANPR cameras read and record VRM's.

The VRM is then searched on the numerous different data bases to see if the VRM is of interest to the Police.

Each Police Force has it's own BOF (Back Office Facility) where data bases from different Police Force areas are stored.

Council cameras do not have this facility and therefore have no evidential value.

To the general public both sets of cameras will look identical.

Same applies to my movements in my daily life.

Governments need to be small, not big like my gentlemans sausage.

Then you're advocating anarchy and an emasculated police force. Crime can happen without fear of prosecution, rampant fraud can result in taxation beyond most people's means, and drunken hit-and-run drivers can sleep peacefully at night....

Me? I'd prefer to be protected rather than neglected...

There will always be unscrupulous people in positions of trust, but they are a small minority and will usually be caught out eventually.

I don't worry about being burgled. Quite a safe area, there's always someone in at home, we have two dogs and then me, in that wig. ;)

We did have an incident of crime on our road a few years back where a number of cars were scratched. One car, a black MX5 was very badly scratched and the lady owner was shaken by this I'm sure. If CCTV had been in operation, I doubt the crime would have been commited.

CCTV doesn't stop crime... look at the statistics for CCTV vs crime rates and you'll notice that London has one the highest numbers of CCTV cameras per sq.m. and per capita in the world... and yet, we still have one of the highest crime rates.

That said - you mentioned you're in a safe area. Does that mean that it's ok as long as you are safe, and for those who leave their houses empty to goto work can be burgled?

M.

Regardless of whether it helps reduce crime, I don't think there can be any argument it helps to solve them. Can that ever be a bad thing, despite the limited potential to affect your own lives?

So, I get logged driving past an ANPR camera at a certain time and place... is it really a big deal? Will it affect me in some way? I highly doubt it.

The old argument that if you aren't doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about may annoy people - but it's the truth.

'But I might have been speeding!' - so don't speed then.
'I was somewhere I shouldn't have been!' - so don't go there.
'I'm being tracked!' - just like in every other aspect of your life already, it's been happening for decades before now, and will do for decades to come.

Every bank card transaction you make is logged. Every time you buy a congestion ticket it's logged. Every time you park somewhere you have to enter a bit of your reg into the machine, it's logged. Most ISP's keep a log of what activity you use the computer for. Every shop you go in films you, every sports venue etc does too. It's a fact of life. Has it ever affected you before when you've been obeying the law? Really?

CCTV is put in the areas where it's most needed. It might be to stop speeding, track traffic levels, or simply to catch criminals. If you're doing nothing wrong, it's extremely doubtful your information will ever get touched, and as per the DPA it eventually get removed from the computer it's stored on.

I live in a less than great area, and there is CCTV around the corner from where I live. I extremely thankful for it, especially since it's been there there's been a noticeable drop in the amount of layabouts hanging about the shops there. If it could see into my house I simply wouldn't care, if I did I'd just shut the curtains on an evening.

What is it that makes people so paranoid about all this? Is there something I've missed that I should take heed of before my life turns to chaos caused by my driving past a camera in the morning?

CCTV doesn't stop crime... look at the statistics for CCTV vs crime rates and you'll notice that London has one the highest numbers of CCTV cameras per sq.m. and per capita in the world... and yet, we still have one of the highest crime rates.

The London crime rates would be far higher without the CCTV.

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that you are saying that people will be better behaved without CCTV?

Of course, if that isn't what you mean, then the CCTV does its job in preventing some crimes.

That said - you mentioned you're in a safe area. Does that mean that it's ok as long as you are safe, and for those who leave their houses empty to goto work can be burgled?

What? :crazy:

That would be an invasion of privacy, whereas ANPR cameras are only monitoring vehicle number plates traveling down the Council owned roads.
They don't watch or track people, just number plates.

M.

Are you feeling alright Michele?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom