ANPR Big Brother and your privacy, well you have none...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Same applies to my movements in my daily life.

Governments need to be big, not small like my gentlemans sausage.

Fixed that for you :D

And do not start lecturing me on:
"Well , if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear..."
To those that are so happy to have no privacy, please give me your home keys, passwords and bank details, I just like to look into your private life from time to time, its OK, there is nothing to fear... :p
What time do you want to come round? :cool:

Remote control policing via database and camera, or real policing?

I know which I'd rather have.

I'd rather have a camera and database check that I am road legal, than be pulled over by a traffic cop and given seven days to present my docs at the local nick or else.

I'd pay more tax for a proper police service.

A camera is a bad swap for a policeman.

Considering that there's approx 1.85m CCTV cameras in the UK. You can say reasonably that a police officer can do the work of three cameras, but you'd need 24 hour coverage, so call that three shifts.

So you're talking about increasing the beat officer count by 1.85 million officers.

And that's not counting ANPR and speed (safety) cameras.

I don't fancy that tax bill.

I'd pay more tax for a proper police service.

Likewise I remember the vast majority saying that the old Lib Dem promise of a penny on income tax to be spent on education was a great idea. Only problem was that in the privacy of the ballot box no one voted for it!

There are around 5,000,000 cameras observing us.

I'd assume the smart criminals know this, and act accordingly.

I do wonder how effective they actually are, and if they are value for the money we spend on them.:dk:

Regardless of whether it helps reduce crime, I don't think there can be any argument it helps to solve them. Can that ever be a bad thing, despite the limited potential to affect your own lives?

So, I get logged driving past an ANPR camera at a certain time and place... is it really a big deal? Will it affect me in some way? I highly doubt it.

The old argument that if you aren't doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about may annoy people - but it's the truth.

'But I might have been speeding!' - so don't speed then.
'I was somewhere I shouldn't have been!' - so don't go there.
'I'm being tracked!' - just like in every other aspect of your life already, it's been happening for decades before now, and will do for decades to come.

Every bank card transaction you make is logged. Every time you buy a congestion ticket it's logged. Every time you park somewhere you have to enter a bit of your reg into the machine, it's logged. Most ISP's keep a log of what activity you use the computer for. Every shop you go in films you, every sports venue etc does too. It's a fact of life. Has it ever affected you before when you've been obeying the law? Really?

CCTV is put in the areas where it's most needed. It might be to stop speeding, track traffic levels, or simply to catch criminals. If you're doing nothing wrong, it's extremely doubtful your information will ever get touched, and as per the DPA it eventually get removed from the computer it's stored on.

I live in a less than great area, and there is CCTV around the corner from where I live. I extremely thankful for it, especially since it's been there there's been a noticeable drop in the amount of layabouts hanging about the shops there. If it could see into my house I simply wouldn't care, if I did I'd just shut the curtains on an evening.

What is it that makes people so paranoid about all this? Is there something I've missed that I should take heed of before my life turns to chaos caused by my driving past a camera in the morning?

You , Ringway and ( thankfully only few ) others are truly something else and need some medication :crazy:

Hey I have a great idea! Why don't we agree to disagree about this whole thing and cut to the chase. Separate those people who don't want routine and blanket State sanctioned 'G4S' surveillance, from those who do? Here's one example of when this was done to perfectly innocent people... East Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every cloud has potential recruitment opportunities for those in favour of routine State sponsored surveillance - Stasi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Recommended viewing - 'The Lives of Others' by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck.

Disclaimer - There is every need for an independently monitored Police Force.

Disclaimer 2 - I have an O level (Grade C) in History, which I earned in 1984, before the Berlin Wall was pulled down. Irony anyone?

It is a widely accepted fact that people capable of producing 600psi punches at will, are never deterred from doing so simply because of the presence of CCTV in Asda car parks!

"East Germany's culture was strongly influenced by communism and particularly Stalinism and was described by East German psychoanalyst Hans-Joachim Maaz in 1990 as having produced a "Congested Feeling" among East Germans as a result of the East German state's goal to protect people from dangers of deviant cultural influence and dangers of popular expression deviating from the state's ideals through enforcing official ideals through physical and psychological repression of these tendencies via its institutions, particularly the Stasi.[11] Critics of the East German state have claimed that the state's commitment to communism was a hollow and cynical tool Machiavellian in nature, but this assertion has been challenged by studies that have found that the East German leadership was genuinely committed to the advance of scientific knowledge, economic development, and social progress.[12] However the majority of East Germans over time increasingly regarded the state's ideals to be hollow, though there was also a substantial number of East Germans who regarded their culture as having a healthier, more authentic mentality than that of West Germany.[12]" (East Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Can someone stop the like of you? :wallbash:
The safest city in the UK is the one that ditch the so called speed (safety camera).
You need help man, truly... :doh:

this will wipe your nose:
Swindon has UK

You can use stats to says whatever you want, especially when you mis-quote.

Swindon, in that report, has the lowest rates of vehicle accidents as a very bald fact. It make no reference toward traffic density, route design and layout, or road condition. It's also worth noting that the article says the accident didn't rise after the abolition of cameras - it could just as easily said that the rate didn't fall either, but that doesn't fit the agenda of the council.

A low level of vehicle accidents does not make for a safe city by default, yet you say it does.

And you think others need help?

Try putting together a logical, coherent argument rather than misquoting and selectively-quoting articles on the net, and attack other forum members. People may be more inclined to listen.

I welcome the views of the "I have nothing to hide" people.

On that line of thought - if you have nothing to hide, I presume you wouldn't mind publicly posting your full name, address and phone number? Also, let's get some medical records please - how often do you go to the GP? What do you buy afterwards?

Until I see someone willing to put their personal details on the line - it's just p*ssing in the wind (apologies for the term)

M

There are around 5,000,000 cameras observing us.

I'd assume the smart criminals know this, and act accordingly.

I do wonder how effective they actually are, and if they are value for the money we spend on them.:dk:

Someone stole my number plates a few weeks ago, ANPR defeated with a screwdriver...

Someone stole my number plates a few weeks ago, ANPR defeated with a screwdriver...

Did you inform the police, and replace them with the new theft resistant type that have started to be available recently?

Did you inform the police, and replace them with the new theft resistant type that have started to be available recently?

I rung the police straight away, very common crime they told me.

Shows how easily cameras and database policing can be defeated though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom