ANPR - how much is checked ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ANPR = mass surveillance.

Why should the innocent be snooped on?

'Cos they have nothing to hide? Are they bothered? (I'm not, bothered that is :D )

All I would want it to check are if it's insured, taxed and has a current MOT.

The DVLA are such an utter shambles anyway that I wouldn't trust any other finformation, every single car on the road would end up having to be checked.

Dave!

To limit the uninsured, non roadworthy vehicles driven by those who have not proven they can drive and hopefully stop them from running into innocent people who then pay for it all.

Dave!

They are plods. For those interested watch the Police interceptors on Weds on Fiver channel after repeat Fifth Gear. :D

They are linked to several databases. Accordingly the Chief Constable of Essex want 600 arrests very month from every plods in Essex. :eek:

I drove through an ANPR check on Tuesday. Which one should I be worried about.?

None if you're road legal and not a travelling criminal :D

I think just about every patrol vehicle has APNR these days..

Traffic cars maybe 25-50%, town cars have none as far as I'm aware.

Hardly mass surveillance - and the only persons stopped are those possibly committing offences.

They are plods. For those interested watch the Police interceptors on Weds on Fiver channel after repeat Fifth Gear. :D

They are linked to several databases. Accordingly the Chief Constable of Essex want 600 arrests very month from every plods in Essex. :eek:

The maths just don't add up here Dragon :crazy:

The ANPR database generally holds the following information:

Insurance (or rather no insurance) details
VEL details (alarms if none held)
Scrapped markers
Information markers (Intelligence fed - i.e believed non-licence holder using the vehicle etc)
Lost/Stolen markers

None if you're road legal and not a travelling criminal :D

Traffic cars maybe 25-50%, town cars have none as far as I'm aware.

Hardly mass surveillance - and the only persons stopped are those possibly committing offences.

The maths just don't add up here Dragon :crazy:

The ANPR database generally holds the following information:

Insurance (or rather no insurance) details
VEL details (alarms if none held)
Scrapped markers
Information markers (Intelligence fed - i.e believed non-licence holder using the vehicle etc)
Lost/Stolen markers

Here............... maybe not in West Yorkshire.

This is another example of the no-nonsense attitude expected of Essex Police officers by their chief constable, Roger Baker.
On his first day in the job, he demanded his officers make 600 extra arrests within a week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...te-public.html

Here............... maybe not in West Yorkshire.

This is another example of the no-nonsense attitude expected of Essex Police officers by their chief constable, Roger Baker.
On his first day in the job, he demanded his officers make 600 extra arrests within a week.

[URL="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...te-public.html"]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...te-public.html[/URL]

Which means the constabulary as a whole - not each and every officer, for every week as you said......

This guy has been in the job for over 18 moths now so this is old news anyway - just for a change - and with a force then of around 3500 police officers - that equates to every 6th officer making just one extra arrest on that one week. Hardly earth shattering really.

Well Nick, Our whole system of law is based on the premise of "innocent until proved guilty". It's their job to prove someone Guilty! Regardless of what we (Law abiding people) think, we are all suspects;)

When details of *every* car journey is monitered and kept on file for at least 2 years???

Well Nick, Our whole system of law is based on the premise of "innocent until proved guilty". It's their job to prove someone Guilty! Regardless of what we (Law abiding people) think, we are all suspects;)

You're never quite alone with paranoia :) He's behind you!!!!!:D :D

Mass surveillance? Big Brother? Snooping on the innocent?

Look at it another way; For example, worst case scenario. Your wife is murdered, only information to go on is a VRM.
Area search for vehicle, no joy. Weeks of enquiries, no joy. Two months later, ANPR picks up VRM of vehicle in a county at the other end of tthe country, offender arrested, dealt with, sent to prison.

Or.....

Your child is abducted, fruitless enquiries, again all there is is a registration number. 6 months later, following an ANPR hit, child is reunited with parents.

The ANPR is for the detection of crime and PROTECTION of the innocent.
Quite simply that means if you have done nothing wrong, be it no insurance or you have not abducted or murdered anyone etc, then why worry?

The ANPR is for the detection of crime and PROTECTION of the innocent.
Quite simply that means if you have done nothing wrong, be it no insurance or you have not abducted or murdered anyone etc, then why worry?

So basically the entire population should put up with stazi like mass surveillance and thank big brother for protecting us?

Odd, innit, how in countries without the intrusive mass surveillance, crime rates are actually lower than ours....

So basically the entire population should put up with stazi like mass surveillance and thank big brother for protecting us?

Odd, innit, how in countries without the intrusive mass surveillance, crime rates are actually lower than ours....

So what if your car was stolen? Would you tell the Police you wanted it back on the condition ANPR was not to be used?

That's possibly because the crime rate is lower. I doubt it's lower because they dont have "mass survellance"!

Guilty conscience?

190 “hits.” is hell a lot.

Sergeant Wilson Gove of the road policing unit told The Courier that more than 13,000 number plates had been checked, with 190 “hits.”
“Our officers pulled over 180 vehicles and their occupants,” he said.
“As a result of that, three cars were seized for road offences. We also detected 31 vehicles with other associated offences at this time.
“We also found four vehicles that had prohibitive mechanical defects.”
In addition, six vehicles were stopped by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency with one driver reported for an offence.
Mr Gove said the police had achieved “excellent” results over the three days of the exercise in Tayside.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/09/06/newsstory11922209t0.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom