ANPR - how much is checked ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJH

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180k for Wifey, SEAT Leon TSi
When ANPR checks a vehicle registration, what exactly get checked ?

Presumably insurance & MOT.

But does it check if the registered keeper is a Full Licence Holder ?
Does it check if the licence type is correct ? ie all the extra codes.

Would it detect the vehicle has manual transmission but is owned by an AUTOMATIC licence holder ?

Would it detect the vehicle has manual transmission but is owned by an AUTOMATIC licence holder ?

I'd be surprised if they'd go to those lengths, personally. Would be quite complicated and surely end up causing loads of uneccesary stops.

I would think there's enough 'wanted' vehicles for unpaid fines/used by criminals etc, as well as the more usual no MOT/insurance/tax etc to keep them going?

Will

Everythings I believe, no MOT, insurance, VED, no licence and even not paying for the petrol and driven off. :D

Everythings I believe, no MOT, insurance, VED, no licence and even not paying for the petrol and driven off.

I drove through an ANPR check on Tuesday. Which one should I be worried about.?

I watched some reality TV programme about the city of london police's anpr cameras, they only looked for cars with markers on them, only when there was an active sweep did they turn off all the filters and go for the people with no mot/tax/insurance etc.

I would imagine the roadside anpr operations (see policing on the cheap) do check for everything.

I would imagine the roadside anpr operations (see policing on the cheap) do check for everything.

Would they be the ones hosted by DVLA/VOSA and nothing to do with the Police, that are policing on the cheap.?

If so, GREAT.!
I don't want to pay additional taxes so anything that reduces the cost is OK by me.:)

Would they be the ones hosted by DVLA/VOSA and nothing to do with the Police, that are policing on the cheap.?

If so, GREAT.!
I don't want to pay additional taxes so anything that reduces the cost is OK by me.:)

Don't they have a database so if your not paying your VED etc they come knocking so why have a random van pulled up looking for car tax dodgers if its all on this magic database?

Don't they have a database so if your not paying your VED etc they come knocking so why have a random van pulled up looking for car tax dodgers if its all on this magic database?

Because sitting in a van on a bypass is an easy life for plod?

Because if you aren't driving the car on the road then you've not committed any offence, so they need to catch the car on the road. Which ANPR does admirably.

I'd love to mention big brother etc but I am genuinely curious.

They have this database with details of cars with out of date tax, and MOTs etc so why the need to have a van looking for these "suspicious" vehicles if they have this info-maybe the van radio's ahead to plodd to let them know to pull over an offender further up. This very thing was on roadwars.

It is where I live, plod in van, plod cars on junctions, plods on bikes further on.

That's because they know you're a bad boy.

Seriously I haven't seen a Police check in ages, and even then they were DVLA check points with Police presence.

I've seen a number of ANPR cars now though.

I'd love to mention big brother etc but I am genuinely curious.

They have this database with details of cars with out of date tax, and MOTs etc so why the need to have a van looking for these "suspicious" vehicles if they have this info-maybe the van radio's ahead to plodd to let them know to pull over an offender further up. This very thing was on roadwars.

I don't think they have a database of cars without tax, etc., But they can instantly check databases to see if the reg plate is listed as having tax, etc...

It's inclusion not exclusion...

Because if you aren't driving the car on the road then you've not committed any offence, so they need to catch the car on the road. Which ANPR does admirably.

Makes sense now, these vans must surely radio ahead so plodd can nick them. I saw this on roadwars tonight and it makes sense, but there is that big brother feeling to it all IMHO, even if it does work well.

That's because they know you're a bad boy.

Seriously I haven't seen a Police check in ages, and even then they were DVLA check points with Police presence.

I've seen a number of ANPR cars now though.

I think just about every patrol vehicle has APNR these days..

All the ones I've seen recently have no Police presence, so presumably they photograph the car and driver.

Stopping people doing things they aren't meant to do isn't big brother, that's stopping people doing things they are allowed to do.

Does it bother me when I drive past an ANPR checkpoint.? NO..!!

Last edited:
I think just about every patrol vehicle has APNR these days..

I know but that's not the same as setting up checkpoints, the Officers are carrying out other work as well.

There regularly used to be an ANPR car outside my office...always seemed to have customers..:rolleyes:

All the ones I've seen recently have no Piloce presence, so presumably they photograph the car and driver.

Stopping people doiong things they aren't meant to do isn't big brother, that's stopping people doing things they are allowed to do.

ANPR = mass surveillance.

Why should the innocent be snooped on?

All the ones I've seen recently have no Piloce presence, so presumably they photograph the car and driver.

Well that will be useless with yobs wearing skipped caps and hoodies, i.e. the sort of people who are likely to be offenders with this regards

Stopping people doiong things they aren't meant to do isn't big brother, that's stopping people doing things they are allowed to do.

Hmm, APNR in itself doesn't stop the offense and apprehend the criminal, its the bobby in the car in this case, but it is of assistance to them.

It does slightly, as somewhere on Camera my movements and place and time on the roads have been recorded, but hey, its no more than intrusive in reality than CCTV-despite being a good boy, I don't like to be watched and my thoughts lie with Nick Mercedes. CCTV in Tesco etc is operated by a private company, i.e. Tesco, APNR is an instrument of the state. I can choose to go to Tesco, WH Smith, wherever and choose which company monitors me in the process of my shopping spree, with APNR I can't choose where and when my privacy, which is valuable to me, is violated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom