Anti Flash Number Plate Protection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

discodom

Morning Folks,

Just thought I would ask some peeps advice / thoughts on Anti Flash Number Plate Protection.

I was at RAF Fairford Airshow over the weekend and spotted a couple of stands selling this stuff in a spray can. I had a chat to them about it - and they assured me that is was 100% effective, and totally legal! They also said that a lot of Police use it as well - as they seem to have a problem getting flashed! :D

Apparently it is a spray that contains micro crystals that disperse the light / flash every which way but back to the camera - which leads to the reg being one big white blur - making the reg impossible to work out! :bannana:

Needless to say it was 25 notes a can - on special - of course for the day! :rolleyes:

So - anybody uses / used this stuff - any experiences of it?

I think they say it lasts for 6 months maybe....

So before I handover the readies - I thought I would ask.

Many thanks in advance.

DOM

You can try it yourself by going to their stand and taking a flash photo of their sample plates and see what comes out!

I thought that stuff was illegal to use and if the traffic police catch you they throw away the key.

More snake oil I am afraid - never seen anything like this that actually works.

I'd rather use a PDA satnav with speed camera database. They are around the £200 mark and falling.

mickl said:
I'd rather use a PDA satnav with speed camera database. They are around the £200 mark and falling.

or get it on your phone, just installed it on mine and got rid of the PDA from the car :D

;)
Mambo said:
or get it on your phone, just installed it on mine and got rid of the PDA from the car :D

does your phone link to an external hands free speaker?

Personally I love the smartnav system on mine as you don't have to bother with punching in any details, someone else does it for you :D

mickl said:
;)

does your phone link to an external hands free speaker?

Personally I love the smartnav system on mine as you don't have to bother with punching in any details, someone else does it for you :D

Nope, just uses the speakerphone. Its TomTom 5 running on a Nokia 6680....

Whats this smartnav?

Mambo said:

Whats this smartnav?

is the speakerphone loud enough when you're driving?

www.smartnav.com its satnav, trafficmaster and RAC Trackstar tracking all in one. Work pays for subs thankfully!

mickl said:
is the speakerphone loud enough when you're driving?

www.smartnav.com its satnav, trafficmaster and RAC Trackstar tracking all in one. Work pays for subs thankfully!

Yeah its pretty damn loud!

discodom said:
Morning Folks,

Needless to say it was 25 notes a can - on special - of course for the day! :rolleyes:

So - anybody uses / used this stuff - any experiences of it?

I think they say it lasts for 6 months maybe....

So before I handover the readies - I thought I would ask.
I highly doubt any kind of spray could have any significant retro-reflective effect on the photograph. For the price of a few cans of snake oil you could have a proper GPS scamera detector...

I was at the air show too and saw that stand, and to be honest i felt sorry for those poor souls parting with there £25.00 as its all a gimmick.

I wanted to say something there and then but felt i had no right too.

I hope you didnt buy any

Mambo said:

Fancy this for my 7710. Saw it a little while ago on TomTom website for 300Euros - where did you get yours and how much did you shell out?

Also does it use a dedicated memory card for the maps?

Many thanks

Bobby Dazzler said:
Fancy this for my 7710. Saw it a little while ago on TomTom website for 300Euros - where did you get yours and how much did you shell out?

Also does it use a dedicated memory card for the maps?

Many thanks

I bought a new Memory Card (256Mb) for £21 off ebay. You will need a bluetooth GPS receiver (£50-£100), send me a PM and I will tell you more about the app.... ;)

Last edited:
andy_cyp said:
I was at the air show too and saw that stand, and to be honest i felt sorry for those poor souls parting with there £25.00 as its all a gimmick.

I wanted to say something there and then but felt i had no right too.

I hope you didnt buy any

No - I didnt buy any - ran outta cash and they didnt take switch - so that must have been a omen! :rolleyes:

I am now thinking that its gotta be a gimmick.... hmmm... Funny thing is one of the blokes started telling me about their follow up product which will block the infa red Truvelo piccys... :confused: - at that point I was lost!

It went over me head so to speak !! :D (well i was at an airshow!) :p

Did you watch the typhoon ???
what an awesome piece of machinary.

Did you hear the bit when the speaker guy said it will now accelerate from 100mph to 500mph in 5 secs.... Sounds like it was AMG tweaked ;) Now thats the ultimate toy

Last edited:
I have spoken to an independent person who assures me it works but obviously only with Gatsos, most cameras these days are Truvelo that dont use a flash or mobile laser that dont use a flash, certainly round my way anyway.

So I would say not much use really and who would really trust it to work? As they say "Stick to the Limit and you wont get a Ticket" or get a TomTom or similar with speed camera database.

I've got a can to test, I'll try getting some before and after pics. It's perfectly possible this stuff works by over-exposure, but I doubt any future product will be able to combat the infa red Truvelo cameras as they use both infra red and normal cameras?

Here is copy of a recent article in the Sunday Times which may be of interest.

Sunday Times Article 12th June 2005

An aerosol spray that can prevent your numberplate being recorded by speed cameras is at the centre of a legal controversy. The Flashtec spray, on sale in the high street, leaves no visible trace and claims to work by creating a protective coating that reflects back the flash from Gatso speed cameras. The camera will record a blank white plate and the police will be unable to issue a penalty notice.

The Department for Transport (DfT) has warned motorists they could face a hefty fine if they are caught using the spray. “It is an offence to treat a numberplate in a way that obstructs a car’s registration number,” said a spokeswoman for the DfT. “These sprays are illegal and could result in a fine of £1,000.”

The manufacturer of the spray disagrees. Flashtec, based in Chelmsford, Essex, claims the spray it sells from its website is “perfectly legal”. The company says it does not condone speeding but wants to offer “protection from moneymaking devices”, meaning speed cameras. Robert Hillis, joint managing director of Flashtec, said his company had sought advice and been assured the spray was within the law.

The Sunday Times bought the spray for £24.95 last week at a builders’ merchant (above). The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency said it will report the firm to trading standards. “The website is seeking to persuade people to use the product for an illegal purpose,” said a spokesman

andy_cyp said:
Did you watch the typhoon ???
what an awesome piece of machinary.

Did you hear the bit when the speaker guy said it will now accelerate from 100mph to 500mph in 5 secs.... Sounds like it was AMG tweaked ;) Now thats the ultimate toy

nah! :rolleyes: I missed that!! :mad:

Must have been in that damm reg spray booth!! :crazy:

For me - I loved the B52 and the B1 - now that B1 is rooood!! :D

Thanks for all the advice on this spray can thingy... I thought it sounds a lil dodge - but always good to run it by the lovely folk on this board! :)

As you say - stick to the limit and you wont get a ticket. However as we all know - in areas that you dont know - speed limits aint always too obivous!

So - what is actually legal wise - when it comes to Tom Toms / Road Angels etc that detect Gatsos etc etc...?

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom