anti freeze

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rom1

Car
Mercedes c220d cabriolet
:confused:
I'm changing the termostat
£34.60 for stat with housing from Mercedes Leicester - had to order it in takes 2 days
£3.60 for gasket

I need to know how much and which type of anti freeze I need, from dealer it is £30 for 5 litres does anyone know where I can get it from a bit cheaper?

Had problem of dpf not regenerating and it's been cleaned now so I didn't want it getting blocked again think it was down to engine not getting hot enough temp has been 70- 80 but drops right down to 65 even after a 700 mile trip to Scotland and back only averaged 42 MPG. Highest it got was 85 but does not stay or rise

Try Euro car parts can't remember the price exactly but on their site enter your reg search antifreeze and it will tell you all you want to know. Just checked and 5 litres is 12 quid .

Last edited:
Update: fitted original stat from dealer comes with new sensor, gasket is extra, anti freeze and distilled water from Euro parts.

Reaches 80 degs in 2 miles and goes onto 90 if I keep on driving, much more response and MPG for urbun and extra urbun is much better now.
Temp sits steady now, before it use to drop down to 60 and only go as high as 70.
Urbun 33MPG
extra urbun 55MPG

Can i ask why you used distilled water is there a reason? thanks.

I used to use distilled water based on the premise it will leave less or no scale.

Until interestingly a water treatment enginer told me I should use soft / deionised water instead, because distilled water are very chemicaly active and will attack metals... the engineer knew nothing about car engines but was building desalination plants abroad.

I remember learning about deionised and distilled water in chemistry class over 15 years ago.

From what I recall distilled water has most of the impurities removed but still contains some soluble ions which have the potential to react and cause corrosion. It is purer water but also has more potential to corrode.

From what I recall deionised water has passed through a filter which reacts with the vast majority of the ions in solution. The products of this reaction may be in the solution still but they are no longer floating around as potentially reactive ions as they have already reacted inside the filter. So it is less pure water than distilled but the impurities will no longer react with anything and so is now less corrosive.

In any case... either are better than tap water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom