antiroll bar links and the effect on car handling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olivier

MB Enthusiast
Car
E300 TD
Hello,
My links are shot, this been a while, need to replace them, but I have a wee question, the car seems to skip a bit in bumpy roads and the steering wheel feel lighter too. Like the wheels jumped off the road.
I got low profile tyres, this doesn't help the bumps tho, and lately I changed the lower front wishbones, it was worse before the change tho, the question is as the title:
Are the antiroll bar links have a great effect on car handling on bumpy roads? ( Edinburgh is a nightmare , the roads are rotten :( )
Cheers.
Olivier

Cheers DM,
where should I start looking then?
The dampers are fairly new.
The springs are OK.
Should I look again at the wishbone position?
I did tied them up with the car on a natural position, and the car is sitting put in a proper position too... Not highter then it should.

Did you have the geometry setup after fitting the wishbones and are the wheels the same width and offest as standard?

No geometrie set up as it was just bolt and play. No room to put it on the wrong place, I think...
the wheels are different, they are 18", but I got them with the car, nothing changed there.

i've heard holes in your exhaust can cause a bumpy ride... do you have any holes i your exhaust? :D:D

roads in edinburgh are terrible, thats when they are actually open for you to drive on them.

We often remove roll bar links completely when fault finding and the difference is hard to notice under normal driving.

We often remove roll bar links completely when fault finding and the difference is hard to notice under normal driving.

Good tip that... :D ;)

I had one snap under hard and fast cornering and the car just leant over a little bit more, but not alarmingly so.

Hard cornering :eek: I thought you were driving "easy" to achieve the best MPG :p
This might be why my links do not last? Never had one snapped but they do a year max and need changing, this is why I did the wishbone as I was told if they have a play this could enduce the wear on the links :confused:
I was warned 2 years ago anyway the the wishbones bushes were dead, it needed to be done...
DM and Jaymanek, could I remove the antiroll bar then if this is "not really " necessary?
Cheers.
Olivier

These cars eat front drop-links.
They are cheap and easy to replace.
I would NOT remove the ARB, as it is a part of the car design-geometry..
It may not make a lot of difference, but it will make some difference.
Impaired handling at speed and increased tyre-wear may result.

Also ... Your insurer may not think much of the idea.

I'm probably way off the mark, but are you sure the problem is with the suspension and not the steering?

On my previous s124 I had the steering idler arm and steering damper changed and it made a world of difference to the steering feel. All the slop diasappeared. Both are on my list for my current 124.

Hard cornering :eek: I thought you were driving "easy" to achieve the best MPG :p

It wasn't in my car, it was in Mrs Dm's old one...:D

Mrs J and I both ran E300TDs.
She regularly criticised me for not driving fast enough.
(Still does).

When my blue E300TD got wrecked, I took her silver E300TD as my work-horse and bought her a year 2001 E430.
She thinks it's wonderful.
Now she can radge round to her heart's-content.

She still criticises me for driving too-slowly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom