Any advice? Decision re replacing (or carrying on with) W211 or getting a CLS!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stig2082

Car
CLS 350 Shooting Brake and a cheeky TVR Chimera
Hi All,

Am new here - hello! - and seeking some advice, as I can't make my mind up! And when I do searches I come across this excellent forum.

I have a 2004 E Class estate 320cdi Avantgarde with 7 seats. It has been mostly great for last 6 years and now has just clocked 100,000 miles. It cost me 23k second hand (approx.18 months old) and i think would fetch about 7k if I sold it privately. I am currently thinking about whether I keep on running it, or whether I should trade it in while it still has some value and purchase a newer one for about 15k - so the facelift model, probably 06-07 plate 320cdi estate sport. I think if I got a newer one the bills would be smaller, and I would keep some value in the (newer) car to use in future to trade in again in about 5-6 years time (or is this flawed logic?). I also fancy a newer one, for normal bloke reasons..

I am also sorely tempted to get a CLS as I drove one for a bit when mine was being repaired for something and I loved it. Only thing stopping me is the practicality issues as I have twins and we do travel a bit to France etc for hols. The twins are now 6 so no buggies and travel cots, but still quite a bit of stuff! However, I do have roof box I can deploy for bigger trips. I guess the lack of a third seat in the back does concern me, as limits on number of folk we can give a lift to!

And if this wasn't enough in my poor head, the early Jag XF ( which seem to have excellent reputation?) are now affordable but the 2.7 engine seems to get a bad press, and can't stretch to price of 3.0 models which come on tap later. Boot is also a bit small, but it has the third seat in the back which CLS doesn't..

Any advice gratefully received!

Regards

Well, I have done this very thing! I changed from an E estate to a CLS. But, if my needs had been practicality, or I had people to carry around on a regular basis, I probably would have looked at an E320cdi Sport saloon instead.

CLS wins for me on looks mostly, but as I don't need loads of room, it was a no-brainer (although took me months to find the right one!)

Good luck with your choice!

ps- as a coincidence, a very good friend of mine has just bought a 2.7 Jag XF. Excellent car in all respects and he's really happy with it. Personally, prefer the look of the CLS, but the XF is way more practical (the rear seats fold down, for a start!)

Last edited:
If you can, get the CLS for bloke reasons.

Its still an awful lot larger than most family cars and they are practical and great to drive.

If you can, get the CLS .........great to drive.
That I totally agree with you on! I tested mine for about an hour, hour and half and enjoyed every second! The handling is superb, much tighter than my E and the whole feeling in the car is of something special. Interestingly, I found the car seemed to shrink around me, not feeling anything like as large as it is. Did you find that Steve?

But practical....not too sure about that. Plenty of room in the front, but I couldn't ride in the back for more than a few minutes (hope I never have to!!) as there's no headroom at all for me. Boot is nice and long, but would have benefited from folding seats, like the Passat CC.

I found that twice in the diesel and the AMG varient, they have much better body control and steering, you can drive them with a lot more vigerour.

I love the CLS bar the headroom which I found tight for the way I like to sit.

I just wish I was smaller so I could have one

Steve!!! I'm 6'2 and fit nicely in the front!!! Take the plunge!! :D

You sound in a very similar predicament to what I've been in over the past 2-3 years.

I have three children, but before our third was born I was on the verge of buying a CLS.....

That meant that I could only ever buy a 5 seater and from that I've owned four W211s and I'm now on my fifth which is a facelift W211 E320 CDi Sport, my last car being an S211 E320 V6 CDi 7 seat estate.

I would say the best compromise would be to buy the car that sits between the E-Class estate and the CLS and that would be to buy what I've got; a 57 plate E320 CDi Sport saloon.

If you're worried about only having four seats now, imagine what you'll be like if you own one and don't have the choice anymore....

Not as I'm aware. Personally would have liked that, but I can live without. Does the latest CLS have it?

You know you won't regret it! :)

I've changed job (told I was successful in the application yesterday) and the hours are now "core ones". I'd therefore not be taking the car to work, and my miles reduce to around 15k a year.

The point where I'd be tempted to consider a petrol engined car.

I'm not in the position to buy another car, and after throwing yet more money at the shed, I intend to keep it for the foreseable, but after the foreseable my choices may well factor in an CLS

So a CLS500 or 55AMG might be the beast of choice someday.. :D

So a CLS500 or 55AMG might be the beast of choice someday.. :D

If Sean is ever selling his, and I can afford to buy it, I would like to purchase that car. Its paint, condition, the way he looks after it, I'd love to have it.

Plus that car has very many happy memories for me.

Agreed! Sean's car is GORGEOUS!!! :)

Thanks All! I can see the CLS is the car of choice for many of us! Am me given half a chance...

If I do have to go with the E Class estate for practical reasons, do folk think I should hang onto my 04 one, or does it make sense to get a newer one..?

Regards

I am also sorely tempted to get a CLS as I drove one for a bit when mine was being repaired for something and I loved it. Only thing stopping me is the practicality issues...

Don't forget there's a CLS estate coming soon:

60364-i-mer.jpg

Thanks All! I can see the CLS is the car of choice for many of us! Am me given half a chance...

If I do have to go with the E Class estate for practical reasons, do folk think I should hang onto my 04 one, or does it make sense to get a newer one..?

Regards

At 100k its hardly run in. You know where its been and how its been looked after. If reliable I cant see the point replacing it with something just a bit younger.

I take it no CLS have folding rear seats. It's something I will look for when changing.

no 219 has folding seats .. the 218 can be specified with folding rear seats

If Sean is ever selling his, and I can afford to buy it, I would like to purchase that car. Its paint, condition, the way he looks after it, I'd love to have it.

Plus that car has very many happy memories for me.

not for a while yet ... it's my run about :)

Agreed! Sean's car is GORGEOUS!!! :)

since you asked so nicely ..

CIMG1325.jpg

Amen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom